·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SSM74444 was posted today in Topix. Content:

Reference: SSM74444
Models: I-PACE / X590
Title: SOTA availability for Infotainment Master Controller (IMC)
Category: Diagnostic Software Hardware
Last modified: 06-Jun-2019 00:00:00
Symptom: 000102 WDS Patch / Update

Issue:
The customer may experience a “No update available” message when attempting to update IMC via SOTA despite knowing later versions of software exist due to various social media forums / retailer visits.
Affected Vehicle Vin Range
SADHB2R14K1F60001 – onwards

Cause:
SOTA for X590 I Pace is currently under testing for the IMC module. This testing has taken place on UK vehicles. This testing has competed its initial phase and will now have a staged roll out through June across all markets before bringing all vehicles and all markets online in July.

Note:
Further modules are under development and will be the subject of future announcements.

Action:
Advise customer that SOTA will be available by end of July 2019.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
WOO HOO!!

Great news.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Ok now the FIRST PERSON who gets it and posts here wins!

What he/she wins, I have no idea, but hey its WINNING!

·
Registered
559 Posts
How can I get a SOTA update if my software does not recognize a new update exists?
I don't see how this can fix itself. Perfect catch 22.

·
Registered
266 Posts
So is the SOTA to be performed while tethered to wi-fi?

I do have a sim chip that came when I bought mine, but SFAIK, I do not have a data plan. I guess it could also be by hot spot by phone, but 4G speeds may be a bit on the slow side and it will be a hit on the data plan of the phone.

I was able to get it on my home network while in the driveway.

·
Super Moderator
1,158 Posts
Given my current experience, I'm not so sure SOTA will be a good thing.

I dropped my car off on Wednesday to have a list of items fixed. Several of them are related to software issues. I got a call yesterday afternoon to give me an update on the car. He said so far they haven't done any of the repair items (i.e. nonfunctional AC) because they are still working on software updates. I was told they updated 6 modules Wednesday, 12 Thursday and another 12 Friday and they have 8 to go for Monday. Then they will be able to start addressing the other issues. I'm not convinced there are 38 computer modules on the car, but I suppose some of them required more than one update.

Given all that - there is no wonder the tech is slow and glitchy as the car must be full of bloatware. If it takes them 3+ days to update a car that is 6 months old, hardwired to the computer, I'm think 4G OTA is going to be a very slow process...if it works at all.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
@Danterium: yeah there is something fishy there, there is NO WAY there are that many distributed modules that would need to be updated individually. That design would be INSANE.

Isn't it typically 2 or 3 independent modules?

·
Super Moderator
1,158 Posts
@Danterium: yeah there is something fishy there, there is NO WAY there are that many distributed modules that would need to be updated individually. That design would be INSANE.

Isn't it typically 2 or 3 independent modules?
Hard to say what he was talking about. Maybe he used the term module, but meant something else? There are definitely more than 3 ‘modules’ but I doubt there are more than 10.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
What are these modules? I am thinking there is one for power management (batteries, charging, etc), one for drivetrain, and one for infotainment/tech system.

What else is there?

·
Super Moderator
1,158 Posts
What are these modules? I am thinking there is one for power management (batteries, charging, etc), one for drivetrain, and one for infotainment/tech system.

What else is there?
Various modules have been identified by name on here as well as other forums. Off the top of my head I can list ICM, GCM, BCM, but I know there are others.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Various functions can be split to different modules. Cruise control, each door separately for locking and windows, radar sensors front, radar sensors back, cameras front, cameras center mirror, camera rear, camera left, camera right, power lift for the hatch, display in front of the driver, center top display, alarm/anti-theft system, etc. If I recall correctly, my 16 RR has in excess of 50 "modules" as an example.

·
Super Moderator
1,158 Posts
Various functions can be split to different modules. Cruise control, each door separately for locking and windows, radar sensors front, radar sensors back, cameras front, cameras center mirror, camera rear, camera left, camera right, power lift for the hatch, display in front of the driver, center top display, alarm/anti-theft system, etc. If I recall correctly, my 16 RR has in excess of 50 "modules" as an example.
Wow, I had no idea. So I guess 38 is ‘normal’!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
The systems I've played will include 3 to 12 computers. Each computer can have multiple 'segments' of code, which you could think of as a separate program. The Powertrain Control Module in particular is a multi-threaded computer with many segments in it.

Only certain computers can be accessed remotely, and some can't even be accessed by the OBDII. The speedometer computer if applicable is not remotely programmable, must be done out of the car. The Event Data Recorder / Air Bag Module requires a special system to access with limited availability to it. This is know as the black box.

The Powertrain Control Module is always 2-way accessible and programmable by OBDII but OTA might not happen, especially on ICE cars. Nobody wants another VW fiasco. If the MFR can change the smog info with no risk of getting caught, they might get tempted. They could 'undo' it if they get worried about an investigation overnight.

The Body Control Module is certainly a good candidate for OTA. This is your lights, windows, AC/Heat, doors, etc. Cadillac did an Aimed Headlight update to test this about 2009? IIRC.

The battery control is interesting on an EV, as is the motor control. If JLR can do it, it can be hacked by hotrodders to upgrade the HP without authorization.

·
Registered
559 Posts
If I could get just one automatic update per week I think I would be caught up shortly.
Only trouble is the updates are not happening.

I would think there is a huge incentive to get this automated instead of paying the dealer to do this multi-day process under warranty.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Given my current experience, I'm not so sure SOTA will be a good thing.

I dropped my car off on Wednesday to have a list of items fixed. Several of them are related to software issues. I got a call yesterday afternoon to give me an update on the car. He said so far they haven't done any of the repair items (i.e. nonfunctional AC) because they are still working on software updates. I was told they updated 6 modules Wednesday, 12 Thursday and another 12 Friday and they have 8 to go for Monday. Then they will be able to start addressing the other issues. I'm not convinced there are 38 computer modules on the car, but I suppose some of them required more than one update.

Given all that - there is no wonder the tech is slow and glitchy as the car must be full of bloatware. If it takes them 3+ days to update a car that is 6 months old, hardwired to the computer, I'm think 4G OTA is going to be a very slow process...if it works at all.
The knowledgeable head of service that I talked to said that updates are the bane of their existence. They would often fail and have to be restarted. I don't know about 38 computers, but I'm sure there are several. I know on the FRS, there's the ECU but then there's the traction control computer and the dash computer that handles the odometer. The ipace is going to add at least one computer for the infotainment, and who knows how many separate computers for all battery/motors/charging/sensors/driving aids etc.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I Just picked up my I Pace at the dealer. They did a brake regen upgrade and other things and now I show my range to be 275 @ 100% from 240 @ 100%. I'll let you know if the miles are real over the next few days.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts