Registered
546 Posts
Exciting. What spec?

Thays going to be a fun drive. Lots of chargers on the 5

·
Super Moderator
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like I'll be hitting the same EA chargers that waja visited in Firebaugh and Bakersfield. Yeah highway robbery but they are in the perfect locations ... it's what the market bears I guess.

·
Super Moderator
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I always look for value. I got one that's almost identical in specs to my current one, where the most important parameters are Performance Seats and Drive Assist pack. I'm fine with the Fuji white (I paid extra for the silver the first time around) and the base 18" wheels (I paid extra for the upgraded 18" the first time around). Late build. I hope they won't put up a fight against running a battery checkup and installing latest software. I'm very stoked, I got a great deal. The other option was local, but only super-loaded cars with Performance Seats were available around here, so I'd be paying a premium on features I don't need.

·
Super Moderator
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congratulations, Sciencegeek! So nice to see you back on the road with your lovely new I-Pace! You must be excited as heck.
Yes indeed, especially since the new one appears to have a flawless battery! I took measurements at regular intervals during both driving and charging home, and it's looking great.

·
Super Moderator
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here are the stats of the trip.

Driving

355 Google maps miles, light traffic almost all the way, thankfully! Slowdowns on I5 only due to trucks passing each other, no actual traffic jams. Thank god for Saturdays. Weirdly the car thinks it was only 348 miles, which is probably wrong.

Took almost exactly 7 hours, 1.6 hours of which were spent charging at two EA fast chargers.

Lead foot, left lane. 66.6 (heehee) mph average while driving, with many many miles at 79 mph to 83 mph depending on speed limit.

Used 169 kWh according to the OBD port. 169*100/355 = 47.55 kWh/100 miles. Matches what the car's trip meter reported. Pretty happy with that, considering the fairly high speeds.

Charging

Two stops, both EA 350kW chargers: Bakersfield I5 location and Firebaugh/Panoche. So, three legs, each 100 to 130 miles, which is I think the sweet spot for the distance between charging spots when you're doing fast freeway driving.

Both chargers started out at 80kW and at 50% SoC started dropping linearly, ending up at ~50kW at ~80%SoC.
Bakersfield: $24.61 for 38.3 kWh over 35 minutes
Firebaugh: $43.02 for 71.7 kWh over 61 minutes.

There appears to have been virtually no loss during charging, the car reports almost exactly the same amount of energy received.

Upshot

Once again, I was not bothered by the charging stops at all. I posted to the forum, did some analyses, got some work and email done, had a cup of coffee, used the facilities, and arrived home relaxed. Charging is not a waste of time because oneself charges as well.

And I really really enjoyed the drive. If you haven't gone on a road trip with your I-Pace you're missing out! :geek:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Nice report! Best news is the car-reported consumption matching the OBD tool. This bodes well for an accurate GoM. Oh no, we'll have to come up with a new name for it. :D

Your charging cost would be identical to a tank of gas in my Fusion which could make the trip non-stop. So other than a little longer trip everything is equal. I'd be very happy with your results.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts