Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We already have an I-Pace. I don't see any other EVs I can get anytime soon that would tickle my tummy and arrive in a reasonable amount of time. So, got an MY Extended Range AWD in red. No other options. Hopefully I can be happy with it for a few years. It gets delivered in 2-3 weeks, I hope.

·
Registered
326 Posts
We already have an I-Pace. I don't see any other EVs I can get anytime soon that would tickle my tummy and arrive in a reasonable amount of time. So, got an MY Extended Range AWD in red. No other options. Hopefully I can be happy with it for a few years. It gets delivered in 2-3 weeks, I hope.
Looking forward to hearing a comparison to the Ipace. The upcoming Q4-etron looks interesting to me.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Buddy of mine just got himself one and is quite happy with it. Is this in your new geographic location?
For as long as we can remain virtual. Then back home.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still waiting for the car. Another 2-3 weeks to go, they say. Boat arrives. Cars unloaded. Cars inspected and prepared. Loaded onto a barge. Several days travel. Then I inspect before driving off to a carwash to remove the salt.

No for math...

Interestingly, Tesla just "dropped" a bunch of short range Model Y RWDs across the country. I was tempted, but I realized that the primary advantage of a Tesla is range. Getting an SR Tesla is like getting a [CENSORED SEXIST REMARK] without a [CENSORED SEXIST REMARK]. If we're going to truly go ICE free, we'll need 300+ miles of rated range to make the norcal-socal drive tolerable. Our drive to my parents' house is ~405 miles (a good socal # BTW), and if I'm going 80-90 the whole way, the 244 EPA miles of the SR are going to have little chance of making 200 miles. We'll end up having to stop at least twice. That will happen over my dead body. I may be old, but my bladder only needs on stop, thank you very much. The LR does 326 EPA miles, so I figure at my speed, that will cover 260 miles if I'm lucky. I need to make it 235 miles to the best-located supercharger when heading south. 223 miles to the one best located when heading north.

Or I could slow down.

HAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Which reminds me about how not to get caught speeding on the 5. In addition to paying attention in front and behind, slow down when approaching overpasses. The CHP has turnouts behind overpasses. Therefore speed up, cruise, slow. Repeat. I got nabbed doing quite a speed in the 550i once by such a well-located officer. He let me off, though. I spotted him before he spotted me, and I'd pulled over and parked by the time he even pulled onto the road.

·
Registered
55 Posts
if I'm going 80-90 the whole way... The LR does 326 EPA miles, so I figure at my speed, that will cover 260 miles if I'm lucky
I think you're chances of making 260 miles at 80-90 mph are very low.
Most tests I've seen (insideEV and some youtube channels) did 260 miles at 70mph.
Car and Driver I think tests at 75 mph and they got 220 miles at that speed.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most tests I've seen (insideEV and some youtube channels) did 260 miles at 70mph.
That's depressing. I know I'll go much slower through LA, so that will probably make the leg possible. Eventually, when I do this drive, I'll report back. The short range won't even come close, though.

·
Super Moderator
2,555 Posts
I agree. 80 vs 70 mph is 30% more drag, which at those speeds translates pretty directly to 30% less range. On the other hand, unless you drive at night can you really sustain 80 mph on I5? Last time I drove it I was involuntarily drafting behind trucks much of the time, even in the left lane.

·
Registered
MY21 Portofino Blue HSE, Pano Roof, Clearsight Mirror, Air Suspension & AD, Upgraded Cabin Light
242 Posts
I was looking at a Model Y for the Mrs although full specs do not seem to be available in the UK yet. It looks like you are stuck with a plastic (vegan please!) interior however much you pay and coming in at close to £70k for a performance version, which is pretty much what I paid for my iPace. If we were to buy a second EV there is some real appeal in having a longer range and access to decent relaible charging but that price is prohibitive, it makes zero sense compared to buying a second iPace. The Mustang Mach E seems a better bet.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I hadn't picked up on that, even the GT?
As far as I know, yes.

They recently released some extra info about the GT and GT performance. They talked about "performance seats" with metallic stitching and copper stitching, but no word about real leather.

·
Registered
MY21 Portofino Blue HSE, Pano Roof, Clearsight Mirror, Air Suspension & AD, Upgraded Cabin Light
242 Posts
As far as I know, yes.

They recently released some extra info about the GT and GT performance. They talked about "performance seats" with metallic stitching and copper stitching, but no word about real leather.
Never, ever going to buy a car with plastic seats its a total non starter. I thought that sort of nonsense died out in the 70's but it appears Naugahyde is making a strong comeback.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,147 Posts
Reminds me of vinyl seat covers. Extremely hot and burning during the summer, and cold and stiff in winter.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Modern artificial leather seats feel very close to leather. They aren’t as easy to clean but feel great. I had a Model 3 at the same time as the I-pace and currently have a 2 year old mini and old bmw. The Tesla and mini feel just as nice to me in the hot and cold. The old bmw feels like the negative comments some have described.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I leave early when driving the 5. No problems with traffic that way, at least when heading south. LA always has traffic, but they have decent carpool lanes that help.

One other MY benefit is being able to add a hitch. That's not realistic on the ipace. The Mach e isn't actually purchasable anytime soon. The Performance MY has terrible suspension so it has to be a no. If they make a plaid M3 I might go for it.

·
Registered
2020 S
99 Posts
Reminds me of vinyl seat covers. Extremely hot and burning during the summer, and cold and stiff in winter.
Modern artificial leather seats feel very close to leather. They aren’t as easy to clean but feel great. I had a Model 3 at the same time as the I-pace and currently have a 2 year old mini and old bmw. The Tesla and mini feel just as nice to me in the hot and cold. The old bmw feels like the negative comments some have described.
I'm going to side with electric-beagle and Ayepace here. I test drove the I-Pace in both black leather and black pleather. At first touch the fake stuff looks and feels pretty good - much better than the vinyl from those cars back in the 70's. After sitting in the fake leather seats for 5-10 minutes though I noticed a very noticeable difference in temperature and resulting back sweat. ...And it was only May. I can't imagine what August in Georgia would be like with those black fake leather seats. I realize there's a market for vegan interiors, and having it as an option is especially smart for the early EV adopter demographic. Now normal people are starting to buy EV's and expect leather at these price points.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I leave early when driving the 5. No problems with traffic that way, at least when heading south. LA always has traffic, but they have decent carpool lanes that help...
The 5 doesn't have carpool lanes in the LA area - only down in Orange County.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 20 Posts