Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine started getting the error - pretty sure it wasn't the key batteries, since my car only has 900 miles on it.

I tend to leave my keys in the car at night - I had a sneaking suspicion that it was temperature.

Anyway - I think I've confirmed it. Key was almost totally dead 2 days in a row. Brought the key inside thereafter, and the next 4 times I started the car... No issues, no error message.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,249 Posts
Yes, a cold key doesn't work well.

Batteries discharge over time and not dependent on miles on the kitty. The initial battery's life will depend on when the battery was made. It will work better when warm but a cold battery nearing end-of-life in a cold car will give the error.

I left a key in the unheated garage but not in the car. Temps were only in the 40s F in the garage and it went dumb. Warming it up got it working. Replacing the battery made it work better.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Even some of us picking up our ‘new’ car for the initial delivery, may lose sight of the fact the car could have been sitting there for a year or more. So those ‘new’ batteries may not be so new.

The simple fact that the warmer keys worked when the colder keys didn't’, is proof that the battery voltage was starting to dip into the questionable zone.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Even some of us picking up our ‘new’ car for the initial delivery, may lose sight of the fact the car could have been sitting there for a year or more. So those ‘new’ batteries may not be so new.

The simple fact that the warmer keys worked when the colder keys didn't’, is proof that the battery voltage was starting to dip into the questionable zone.
yep, great point. I've never had this happen with another car, so thought it was one to add to the idiosyncratic behavior list, but looks like the cat gets an apology for for this one :)

easy enough to swap in a new battery, popped one in this am.

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
750 Posts
Also...leaving the key in the car, could this not have somehow drained the battery? Perhaps the key was "talking" to the car? Preventing "locking" the car since the key was inside? Or staying awake and sending a "bing" from the key to the car? Just thoughts?

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,249 Posts
It also caused a drain on the cat's batteries since it couldn't nap with a key inside. It won't let the doors lock without use of the activity key (if equipped). This would keep it awake waiting for the key to go to bed in another location.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Also...leaving the key in the car, could this not have somehow drained the battery? Perhaps the key was "talking" to the car? Preventing "locking" the car since the key was inside? Or staying awake and sending a "bing" from the key to the car? Just thoughts?
I noticed this issue yesterday afternoon and I had the left the key overnight in the vehicle. I just used the other key, but when I tried using it later in the evening, it worked just fine.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Leaving the key in the car does seem to drain the battery faster. My wife uses the car more, but I left my key in the car more often, and my key died first. Still took almost two years. Batteries are cheap.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine started getting the error - pretty sure it wasn't the key batteries, since my car only has 900 miles on it.

I tend to leave my keys in the car at night - I had a sneaking suspicion that it was temperature.

Anyway - I think I've confirmed it. Key was almost totally dead 2 days in a row. Brought the key inside thereafter, and the next 4 times I started the car... No issues, no error message.
I had the same error and there are a few insights.

First, the key's battery only lasts 18 months (according to the dealer). So you need to get it replaced before then for $10.
Second, if you use the Activity Key, it typically deactivates the regular key which is left in the vehicle when you're out jogging for example. Given Jag's infotainment prowess, the regular key doesn't always reactivate properly causing this error. To avoid getting stranded, you need to override the error by placing the keyfob flush with a rectangular notch beneath the steering wheel. Then get the dealer to reset it on next visit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I find if I just lock and unlock the car while in it using the key, that the ignition system then will recognize the key again. Seems to be happening about once a week with me now. (But I'm only driving the car about once a week so...)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Re paying the dealer $10 for replacing a battery, go to Walgreen and buy a 4-pack for about $5 and replace the battery yourself. Takes about 2-3 minutes and you'll be covered with batteries for 3-more, 18-month, time frames.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I had the same error and there are a few insights.

First, the key's battery only lasts 18 months (according to the dealer). So you need to get it replaced befo
Second, if you use the Activity Key, it typically deactivates the regular key which is left in the vehicle when you're out jogging for example. Given Jag's infotainment prowess, the regular key doesn't always reactivate properly causing this error. To avoid getting stranded, you need to override the error by placing the keyfob flush with a rectangular notch beneath the steering wheel. Then get the dealer to reset it on next visit.
Same thing happened to me after using the Activity Key, I-Pace would not start and flashed an error message that it did not recognize the key. Fortunately, I had Jaguar’s mobile guide “iGuide” on my phone, which provided me with the process to re-initialize the key via the rectangular notch. The key fob has been working ever since (5 months), without the need to visit the dealer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts