Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
My Juicebox Pro 40 charging indicates 7.6-7.7 until 100% charged, then it drops to 0 for a very brief moment. Its behavior after that is inconsistent but usually jumps back up to 3.x-6.x and unsmoothly tapers down from there for some inconsistent period of time, usually about 1 hour.
That part may be cell balancing done by the battery management, where it charges and drains various cell groups top make sure they are in “balance.” This is done when battery is full.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I occasionally use a 50kW Chargepoint charger (actually 48kW if you read its label). It's display shows a 42-45kW rate until the car gets to 85%, tapers to 30kW at 91%, 20kW at 96$ and then drops off from there. The last part takes about 20 minutes to get to 100% if left to charge to that level.

My Juicebox Pro 40 charging indicates 7.6-7.7 until 100% charged, then it drops to 0 for a very brief moment. Its behavior after that is inconsistent but usually jumps back up to 3.x-6.x and unsmoothly tapers down from there for some inconsistent period of time, usually about 1 hour.
These results are fairly well documented by now. There are charts, including at https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DoQuXPhW0AAHl9_.jpg that show how the car regulates charging rate based on SOC, and also compares the similar tapering of other EVs.

On my I-Pace, despite the chart, I can achieve 100 kW charging for a limited period before the car throttles charge rate to 82-84 kW. (I suspect this lowering to 82 kW is related to the ambient temperature and the (in)ability of the I-Pace to keep the battery at optimal temperature.) If the charger's max output is 50 kW, then you can adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My problem is that I use the ECar Northern Ireland / Republic of Ireland Fast Charger Network, of which there are 334 in Northern Ireland of which 320 are fast chargers, 14 rapid chargers. Problem is that Jaguar have restricted the output from the normally 22kw/h fast chargers to 7 kw/h maximum charge per hour. So unless I can find a Rapid Charger you cant go far in Ireland without a long delay, and Ireland is a big place. My advice dont buy an IPace in Ireland unless you are prepared to wait for a slow recharge when away from home.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
185 Posts
Just seen this older thread, but wanted to post a snapshot of my ChargePoint charger's activity. Near constant charge rate (7.4 -7.2kW) until approximately 95% SoC, then a sharp drop off with no spikes or jumps.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Just seen this older thread, but wanted to post a snapshot of my ChargePoint charger's activity. Near constant charge rate (7.4 -7.2kW) until approximately 95% SoC, then a sharp drop off with no spikes or jumps.
Does the battery reach 100% and does the car have H264 installed? I think there's three possible answers. One, the graph is condensed into multiple hours of charging and doesn't show the fluctuations as the rate of charge slows down near 100% and appears to fall off the cliff yet is still charging. Your session lasted over 8 hours to put 65 kWh so I think this is the most likely answer. Two, Pre-H264 TopiX showed that some cars would only charge to 97% yet showed 100%. H264 was supposed to fix this. Three, the new BMU update (I think it's H280) is supposed to fix the charging problems that H264 was supposed to fix yet did not.

If the battery reaches 100% then I wouldn't worry but if you have WattCat you can verify how many kWh are in the battery.

I have ChargePoint and the graphs from my charging sessions appear exactly as yours but the drop off starts near 100%. Either way, if your battery is showing 100% then everything is okay.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My problem is that I use the ECar Northern Ireland / Republic of Ireland Fast Charger Network, of which there are 334 in Northern Ireland of which 320 are fast chargers, 14 rapid chargers. Problem is that Jaguar have restricted the output from the normally 22kw/h fast chargers to 7 kw/h maximum charge per hour. So unless I can find a Rapid Charger you cant go far in Ireland without a long delay, and Ireland is a big place. My advice dont buy an IPace in Ireland unless you are prepared to wait for a slow recharge when away from home.
Jaguar hasn't "restricted" the output, per se. Those ECar "fast chargers" are AC EVSEs, not true chargers. The AC charger is inside the car, which in the case of the Jaguar is a 7.7 kWh charger. Very few cars have an onboard charger that can charge at more than 7.7 kWh (basically only Teslas). What you're saying is true of any EV, including a Tesla: you cannot rely on AC charging (what we in the US would refer to as Levels 1 and 2) when traveling, you must seek out a true DC charger (what you've called "rapid chargers").

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
185 Posts
No problem that I am aware of. Charges to 100% everytime. Just wanted to share to compare with the chart showing spikes. Even when the charging graph is not extented, I still see a similar steep decline followed by a slight "bump".

·
Registered
291 Posts
No problem that I am aware of. Charges to 100% everytime. Just wanted to share to compare with the chart showing spikes. Even when the charging graph is not extented, I still see a similar steep decline followed by a slight "bump".
Glad that all is well. The bump is battery cell balancing at 100%. I was surprised when I compared your graph with mine and they were identical almost to the kWh added.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is there a way to program charging up to a preset level and stop the charging upon reaching it (to prolong battery life)?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Is there a way to program charging up to a preset level and stop the charging upon reaching it (to prolong battery life)?
Jaguar has stated that it's okay to charge to 100% unless you're using a fast charger at 100kWh or higher. That being said, there's an aftermarket app called WattCat that allows you to charge to a specific percentage. The app is awesome in many ways and is available for Android phones on Google Play. Unfortunately it's not available for IOS.

Before I had WattCat I used timed charging to reach 80%. My level 2 charger adds 8% per hour so if the battery was at 30% I would set the timed charge for 6 hours 15 minutes.

Some drivers prefer to charge to 85% - 90% so that the regen feel is the same as lower SoC and they can drive single pedal.

Jaguar recommends 100% because the battery enters into a cell balancing mode which helps battery life.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts