Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

SIM selection

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  electric-beagle 
#1 ·
Which SIM 'data only' in car slot
for use in Europe for 24 months
is suggested?

#4 ·
Does anyone know what kind of data consumption we would be talking about on the i-Pace?

I was looking at this one the other day:

Which would cost 3€/month for 100MB per month (and +2€ for each extra 100MB).

But if we're talking about more than a couple hundred MB per month, maybe other solutions would be better.

#6 ·
Not sure anyone can give an easy answer to a question like this

Unless cost over quality is your only criterion then the starting point should surely be the quality of signal in the area you live and those you frequently travel too, only you can know this and it then frames your options.

The other question is how will you use the data? In a MY21 you really don't need a SIM (which is helpful as you can't change away from the JLR O2 contract anyway) in the UK you can just plug your phone into the car and hey presto all data comes through your phone (irrespective of whether you have a data plan with the car it seems).

Not sure if the same holds for earlier models but if it does do you need a SIM at all? If you do then what is the best/are the best networks? Look at what is available on those networks or their resellers.

#7 ·
In my US market MY19, I can set the phone to be a WIFI hot spot (no plug-in required), have the cat connect to it, and I get all the benefits of having a SIM to a carrier. The mobile phone has unlimited data in its plan, so it doesn't cost anything more plus it is at 5G speed not 4G. I could also set the car to be a WIFI hot spot too to share with others in the car, but it seems a bit redundant.

The downside is the cat forgets WIFI passwords so the initial connection requires manual set up every so often.

#9 ·
Yes you can plug the phone in, but that only enables playing music/video, Android Auto, or Apple Car Play.

My response above is that you use the phone as if it were your home WIFI, or WIFI at a business. Connect the car to it. Then the navigation live data (e.g. road closures/construction and traffic conditions), and other live data (news and weather) built into the car will receive via the phone instead of a SIM supported service (SIM plugged into slot in console next to the USB3 ports). A WIFI connection takes priority over the SIM supported service.

Once you have the SIM supported service, or WIFI, connection by the car, then the car's WIFI hot spot feature can be enabled to share it. You might was well of users of that also connect directly to the phone's WIFI hot spot.

#10 ·
Yes you can plug the phone in, but that only enables playing music/video, Android Auto, or Apple Car Play.

My response above is that you use the phone as if it were your home WIFI, or WIFI at a business. Connect the car to it. Then the navigation live data (e.g. road closures/construction and traffic conditions), and other live data (news and weather) built into the car will receive via the phone instead of a SIM supported service (SIM plugged into slot in console next to the USB3 ports). A WIFI connection takes priority over the SIM supported service.

Once you have the SIM supported service, or WIFI, connection by the car, then the car's WIFI hot spot feature can be enabled to share it. You might was well of users of that also connect directly to the phone's WIFI hot spot.
I understand how connecting to the phones hotspot works I just wonder why the earlier models don't prioritise pulling data from the phone via the cable connection (like connecting the phone via cable to a laptop to enable data transfer).

In the MY21 there is no option to connect to WiFi for data on the move only when static for updates. What does happen though is when the phone is plugged into the car, car data seems to flow through the phone rather than the embedded eSIM for car related data needs (navigation, Spotify through the car etc).

Just seems odd that the earlier models don't work in the same way as presumably the cable connections are identical.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.