Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disclaimer: this is for InControl Touch Pro, I don't know if this is relevant to PiVi.

tl;dr: It appears that you don't need an AT&T subscription to get live traffic on your Nav.

Long version:

On both my previous I-Pace (2019) and my current one (2020), I got live traffic without subscribing to AT&T.
I put this to a thorough test today, turning on Mobile data and turning it back off etc, waiting for it to get a connection, etc. Somewhat painful because the I-Pace's processors are slow, but eventually a clear picture emerged: without an AT&T subscription you still get live traffic on the Nav.
You won't get the browser or any other internet connectivity it seems, but live traffic is definitely on.

Make sure your SIM card is installed in the user SIM clot of the center console (by those USB ports).
Enable Mobile Data in the Connectivity Settings.
Check that the upper right corner of your center display gives you a 4G Symbol and hopefully a set of bars.
(When it's in the process of connecting it has animated dots.)

I tried to call up the browser with a generic web address and instead of loading that, it shunted me to the AT&T web site; which immediately sucked in my VIN (arg! I couldn't stop it from doing that short of killing the browser) and informed me that I need to sign up. So I killed the browser.

After that, live traffic still worked like a charm ... when I had AT&T signal as indicated by the icon in the upper right of the main console display.

Same was true for my 2019 I-Pace, so I would think it's general behavior. 馃嵑

Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
Disclaimer: this is for InControl Touch Pro, I don't know if this is relevant to PiVi.

tl;dr: It appears that you don't need an AT&T subscription to get live traffic on your Nav.

Long version:

On both my previous I-Pace (2019) and my current one (2020), I got live traffic without subscribing to AT&T.
I put this to a thorough test today, turning on Mobile data and turning it back off etc, waiting for it to get a connection, etc. Somewhat painful because the I-Pace's processors are slow, but eventually a clear picture emerged: without an AT&T subscription you still get live traffic on the Nav.
You won't get the browser or any other internet connectivity it seems, but live traffic is definitely on.

Make sure your SIM card is installed in the user SIM clot of the center console (by those USB ports).
Enable Mobile Data in the Connectivity Settings.
Check that the upper right corner of your center display gives you a 4G Symbol and hopefully a set of bars.
(When it's in the process of connecting it has animated dots.)

I tried to call up the browser with a generic web address and instead of loading that, it shunted me to the AT&T web site; which immediately sucked in my VIN (arg! I couldn't stop it from doing that short of killing the browser) and informed me that I need to sign up. So I killed the browser.

After that, live traffic still worked like a charm ... when I had AT&T signal as indicated by the icon in the upper right of the main console display.

Same was true for my 2019 I-Pace, so I would think it's general behavior. 馃嵑
Conversely, last Xmas AT&T canceled my contract due to a credit card issue. Only way I noticed was that my live traffic disappeared.

Registered
The traffic data is part of the InControl (I think it is called that) subscription which lasts a few years before some sort of renewal will be needed with Jag. While it piggybacks on the same SIM, it is paid for by Jaguar.
Once in a while, you may see a random 鈥測ou have exceeded your data cap鈥 or some other message, but that is a bug. Turn the data off and on again and it clears it up.

Registered
2020 I-Pase HSE in Fuji White
It looks like we are automatically signed up for the att service when we sign up for incontrol but users can still use the remote app, and wattcat if they cancel the att service. After adding my car I got an email from att saying I had started service which I promptly canceled. Does anyone know how these apps connect to our cars? Is it via blue-tooth or internet? I live in the mountains with no cell service or traditional Internet. We have sat Internet, Viasat which does have wifi.

Thanks

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are two SIM cards in the car. One, which is not accessible to us, works for car-essential functions and communication with the mothership (including trip logging etc), the other (center console-mounted one) is for infotainment. Service on the first one is included for five years in the US. Since both are SIM cards they only work over cell service; in the US, the car-essential one is served by AT&T. What I don't know is whether the software is smart enough to switch the communication to WiFi if the car-essential SIM card gets no reception. I guess you can test that if you have no cell service where you live; does WattCat "see" the car when you're at home and have WiFi turned on?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts