Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been on the hunt for an I-Pace for awhile. With the current supply/demand situation, it’s been impossible to find a good deal compared to >9months ago when deals ($15-20k under MSRP) can be had. Do you think an I-Pace is worth the MSRP premium? It’s certainly a good looking car, but range could be better.... fortunately my daily commute is <35 miles round trip. Wanted to get a consensus before I make a decision.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alternatives:
a) Wait until Q1-2022 and hope the supply situation improves — not a guarantee price will go down.
b) Get an Audi Q4 EV, Polestar 3, or Rivian 1S — with a second child on the way, we need a bigger car to replace our aging sedan. It may be too long of a wait for these newer options.
c) Get the Hybrid Chrysler Pacifica for $55k - it’s not my first choice, but it fits the utilitarian need, cheaper, available, and qualifies for full federal EV incentive. Wife likes the van.

·
Administrator
2,783 Posts
R1S is surely out of your timeline (I have a deposit on one and don't expect to get it until 2023), and the PS3 is probably too. I haven't looked at delivery schedules for Q4. I would say if you have the cash for an MSRP I-Pace, go for it!

I'm sure there are others here who will chime in, so don't pull the trigger just yet ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you’re willing to do ps3 why not model y?

my experience with cars is that there’s always a dealer to work with. You may have to drive a bit further but it’s worth the savings to me.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
The supply situation will not likely be better over the next year. Maybe 2-4 years. It's a chip production problem that was years in the making, and the pandemic just brought it all crashing down. Stupid car companies running old chips and just assuming they'd be produced forever in sufficient volumes.

I like the ipace, but I'm biased. I could not make myself get a Pacifica. Not only is it giving up on life to get a minivan, it also isn't an EV.

How hard is it to get a Polestar now?

·
Registered
2020 I-Pase HSE in Fuji White
77 Posts
The car market right now is insane. I ended up with a 2020 I-Pace HSE with 3,700 on speedo. It was owned by the guy who owns the dealership. I wanted to lease new but my dealer had no idea when he would see a 22. I found several new in different states but Jaguar will only sell instate because of the shortages. The MSRP was 86k. I got the car for 64k which is probably too much but after driving a q4 and xc40...I feel this is the only real luxury car that meets our demands. The Polestar reviews were not good Fast and sporty but limited storage and it rides hard. The Volvo had nice styling but the interior was cheap but far worse were the hard seats and ride. The q4 had a nice enough interior and complacent ride but listed out at 88k and it's a dog compared to the Ipace. I can tell u that since I've been looking used prices on the ipace have been rising. I think buyers who don't need the Tesla fast charging network are discovering the I-Pace. Simple supply and demand. This car helps the environment and is a hedge against inflated gas prices and shortages.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Dont forget the $7500 tax rebate will be gone on Jan 2022. Need to take delivery by the end of this year

·
Registered
2022 HSE, Santorini Black.
35 Posts
I’ve been on the hunt for an I-Pace for awhile. With the current supply/demand situation, it’s been impossible to find a good deal compared to >9months ago when deals ($15-20k under MSRP) can be had. Do you think an I-Pace is worth the MSRP premium? It’s certainly a good looking car, but range could be better.... fortunately my daily commute is <35 miles round trip. Wanted to get a consensus before I make a decision.
I recently shared my MY 2022 I-Pace buying experience with the forum here: Finally! Got my 2022 I-Pace, sort of…

After having been told in early October that my special order I-Pace would not be delivered until at least March 2022 (original ETA November 2021, ordered late June 2021), I decided to shop nationwide for what was available now. I had been waiting almost two years, however, wanting a 2nd generation I-Pace and the U.S. dealers inexplicably not receiving the 2021 model year. Basically, I got sick of waiting.:)

The way I see it, these are your choices:

1) Shop existing inventory, which is dwindling by the day. When I started my nationwide search, there were 39 2022s on U.S. lots. When I made my purchase a week later, there were 29. Just did a search of the jaguarusa site. That number is down to 19. Happy hunting;

2) Special order one and… wait, who knows how long. Some dealers won’t sell outside their territory (which also makes option 1 more difficult), so hopefully your local dealer(s) still has a slot open or you find a non-local dealer with an open slot who will sell to you;

3) Buy the Pacifica. If you and your wife like it, why not? It would certainly save you the hassle of the trying to buy one of the other alternatives, which are likely to have production delays as well.

4) Buy an alternative EV. Like you, I’m not a Tesla fan. Porsche Taycan is out of my budget (and wouldn’t fit my garage anyway), Ford Mach-E not luxurious enough (I hate that I-Pad dashboard look that they borrowed from Tesla), Polestar too difficult to arrange test drive, and all others not available until 2022… at least. The Audi E-Tron Sportback was my “second choice” and back in June they told me it would be a 5-month turnaround. Who knows how long it would be now.

I wish you the best with your search. If you can wait 6-9 months at least I would advise putting in a special order if you cannot find one in existing inventory to your liking. Keep in mind that it is unlikely that anyone is going to budge on price at this point and as has been pointed out above, the situation most likely won’t get any better any time soon. This is mitigated somewhat by the price reduction for MY 2022.

·
Registered
77 Posts
How does the rebate work. Does the govt credit you with 7500 towards your tax liability or do you get a 7500 deduction which if you are in a 25% tax bracket only translates to roughly 2k in tax savings?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
How does the rebate work. Does the govt credit you with 7500 towards your tax liability or do you get a 7500 deduction which if you are in a 25% tax bracket only translates to roughly 2k in tax savings?
$7500 instant cap reduction on a lease or if you purchase you get the $7500 back on your tax liability on your tax return.
So if you owe $10000 in taxes you will only owe $2500. If you owe $5000 you wont owe anything but you will miss out on the additional $2500

The problem with a lease, is the Ipace has horrible Residual values . Ony way it worked was huge discounts which they don't have now

·
Registered
77 Posts
$7500 instant cap reduction on a lease or if you purchase you get the $7500 back on your tax liability on your tax return.
So if you owe $10000 in taxes you will only owe $2500. If you owe $5000 you wont owe anything but you will miss out on the additional $2500

The problem with a lease, is the Ipace has horrible Residual values . Ony way it worked was huge discounts which they don't have now
Thanks for clarification. If you can even find a 22 to lease. The 7500 rebate is nice. I wish I would have bought last year. With discounts and the rebate buyers made out. When the civic hybrid came out my wife insisted we buy it to get her in the gov lane. There were only a few cars that qualified back then. When we did our taxes we were told we made too much money and didn't qualify. I guess our govt. removed that disqualifier.

·
Registered
2019 S with S21A and 16.2
128 Posts
If your spouse likes the Pacifica, I would get that. If you get the Ipace you will probably hear repeatedly the wish for more room, more range and many other comments. If you get the Pacifica you will probably only receive comments about having to stop at the gas station and that the next vehicle will be all electric. Minivans are great for the first 60-80,000 miles. They aren’t designed to last much past that. Easy to load kids in car seats and so much room. I remember towing my race car with a minivan. I could take so much more stuff than any truck and I could sleep in the back.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Is this true? I think this is only true in some local state (like Colorado), but I don't think the $7500 Fed credit is going away in Jan 2022.
If the cap is $80k like @sciencegeek pointed out you might be fine, but the new BBB is lock. Tesla already increased their price on M3 by $8000 so they can pocket all of that money starting in 2022.

I'm looking a the Etron GT which wont qualify for the $7500 for it come Jan 2022. Sucks cause it might kill the deal for me getting one

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
378 Posts

$80K MRSP cap according to this article but I don't know for sure what actually ended up in the approved bill
The cap is part of the Build Back Better act, which hasn't been signed yet. If BBB doesn't pass (moderates could balk if the CBO score doesn't match exceptions, Manchin could walk because Pelosi added back paid family leave, and Sinema could walk because Pelosi added back a tax issue she objected to), then the credit rules don't change. That would mean no $80k MSRP cap, but also Tesla & GM won't be eligible for the credit.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts