Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I had a 250km drive 125+125.
I started with 100% SoC and GOM reporting 325kkm
After some 30km, SoC was at 88%, did a quick calculation and OMG, I would need 100% of the battery to cover the 250km distance required. After panicking a bit, I switched to low power mode and turned everything off, thankfully it wasn't too hot, but it wasn't comfortable and music had to be provided by my daugther's iPhone.... Most definitely not a great brand-new-luxury-car trip ...
I arrived at my destination (125km from home) with 55% SoC left. I thought I would be able to charge some over there, but nope, the only charger in the city was in a locked parking lot .... unbelievable!
We had a nice lunch with the family and of course, everybody was making fun of my stupid new toy that can't even drive 250km and how my wife was going to kill me when we get stranded on the way back! Oooooooof!

Anyway, with no way to charge, we ventured back, this time I set the max speed to 120kmh (instead of the 130kmh I was doing on the first leg), again set the car to low power mode, music on the iPhone and off we went...

We arrived home with 17% charge left, driving 120kmh instead of 130kmh made a huge difference!!!

Still, instead of the advertised 454km this car can barely do 300km on low eco power mode? That sucks! Could my battery be bad?

I plan to make the same trip next week, but this time I'll be driving properly, the way a jag is meant to be driven, I'll make sure the one and only charger there is working before taking off... I want to compare how much more efficient the car is when driving in low power mode than regular driving .... we'll see ...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Still, instead of the advertised 454km this car can barely do 300km on low eco power mode? That sucks! Could my battery be bad?
What temperature was it outside? 300 km is about right in cold(ish) weather at that speed. At 130 kmh you will get very, very low range and be lucky to get above 250 km. Anything above 110 and especially 120 and the range drops MASSIVELY.

The iPace has a real-world range of 180-220 miles.

·
Super Moderator
1,162 Posts
After some 30km, SoC was at 88%, did a quick calculation and OMG, I would need 100% of the battery to cover the 250km distance required. After panicking a bit, I switched to low power mode and turned everything off, thankfully it wasn't too hot, but it wasn't comfortable and music had to be provided by my daugther's iPhone.... Most definitely not a great brand-new-luxury-car trip ...
I arrived at my destination (125km from home) with 55% SoC left. I thought I would be able to charge some over there, but nope, the only charger in the city was in a locked parking lot .... unbelievable!
We had a nice lunch with the family and of course, everybody was making fun of my stupid new toy that can't even drive 250km and how my wife was going to kill me when we get stranded on the way back! Oooooooof!

Anyway, with no way to charge, we ventured back, this time I set the max speed to 120kmh (instead of the 130kmh I was doing on the first leg), again set the car to low power mode, music on the iPhone and off we went...

We arrived home with 17% charge left, driving 120kmh instead of 130kmh made a huge difference!!!

I plan to make the same trip next week, but this time I'll be driving properly, the way a jag is meant to be driven, I'll make sure the one and only charger there is working before taking off... I want to compare how much more efficient the car is when driving in low power mode than regular driving .... we'll see ...
The power draw of the radio is negligible, once you go to low power mode simply turn the radio on. In fact you can use any of the accessories, but of course if you turn on AC/heat you will start impacting your energy use.

I would consider yourself fortunate to be able to go 250km at 130km/hr. Energy use climbs appreciably after 50mph and just gets worse from there. If you can deal with driving slow, 55-60mph seems to be a fair compromise of speed/efficiency.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I agree with Dantrium. I routinely get 360 kms on a full charge, but that's driving at 100 kms/hr in weather around the freezing mark. (Around 420+ in warm but not scorching weather.) Here in Ontario you can't drive at 130 kms/hr very often - 20 over the limit is as much as I'll risk unless I'm on a back road....luckily there are few of those around here!

Wind resistance or drag: at twice the velocity you get four times the drag. Or put another way, 130 kms/hr is one quarter as efficient as 65 kms/hr. (Not that you can drive a Jag that slowly.)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the comments, at least it is reassuring that it's not necessarily a battery issue. I did some calculations and based on average Wh/km between the 130kmh 125 leg and the 120kmh leg, and consumption is over 24% more (which makes sense as gbillcb pointed out)

BTW, weather was nice, temp about 20-22 celsius

·
Registered
549 Posts
Those temps are optimal, so it really comes down to driving speed (and windspeed if non-negligible). When I take long highway trips at 75-80mph, I expect range of about 190mi (300km) in Eco Mode. I'm hoping the latest software upgrade (suggesting up to 8% more range) might get that over 200mi with the Eco Mode torque allocation improvements. Around town I get 220-240mi, again hoping to occasionally see 250mi range (400+ km) with update. New owners must understand that cold climates, high speed, and heavy accessory (HVAC in particular) use can combine to seriously degrade published range by 10%-25%. These factors have negligible impact on ICE vehicles, so its just part of the EV learning curvel Unfortunately dealerships either downplay, omit, or simply don't know this information.

I would also encourage new owners to complete at least 1 'controlled' drive where they run SOC down in the 10-20% range and become familiar with how the Low Power Mode can add a significant boost (20%-50% of low end range figure) to range when needed (i.e., I've seen range estimate go from 30 mi to 45 mi by utilizing Low Power Mode!). Could be the difference between getting stranded and making it, not to mention the reduction in stress.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those temps are optimal, so it really comes down to driving speed (and windspeed if non-negligible). When I take long highway trips at 75-80mph, I expect range of about 190mi (300km) in Eco Mode. I'm hoping the latest software upgrade (suggesting up to 8% more range) might get that over 200mi with the Eco Mode torque allocation improvements. Around town I get 220-240mi, again hoping to occasionally see 250mi range (400+ km) with update. New owners must understand that cold climates, high speed, and heavy accessory (HVAC in particular) use can combine to seriously degrade published range by 10%-25%. These factors have negligible impact on ICE vehicles, so its just part of the EV learning curvel Unfortunately dealerships either downplay, omit, or simply don't know this information.

I would also encourage new owners to complete at least 1 'controlled' drive where they run SOC down in the 10-20% range and become familiar with how the Low Power Mode can add a significant boost (20%-50% of low end range figure) to range when needed (i.e., I've seen range estimate go from 30 mi to 45 mi by utilizing Low Power Mode!). Could be the difference between getting stranded and making it, not to mention the reduction in stress.
80 mph is almost 130 kmh which was exactly my first drive. I wasn't only in Eco mode, I was in fact in Low Power mode, no AC, nothing running and I used 45%, by my calculation, I could have barely made a 275km trip before running out of juice. So 300km (190mi) is nowhere near doable for me at that speed (even with almost perfect weather conditions as I had)
I hope the new upgrade will indeed help some.

·
Registered
132 Posts

The rated range is 377 kms in Canada not the 454 you indicate but maybe the rating are different in your jurisdiction. As the saying goes “Speed Kills” and by that in this case “Speed kills your EV Range” and applies to all vehicles including internal combustion engines.

All that being said, I have never been able to make a trip that maintains that range estimate and the GOM always seems to drop faster than the KMs do in real life. One day when I am bored I will try a test and lock the car in at 100km/h and just drive till I get down to 2% or so just to see what will happen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts