Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

Should I buy an iPace?

10K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  Dantrium 
#1 ·
Hello all, I need your help!

Here's the deal. I'm currently in a Macan Turbo, which I really enjoy, but I've been itching for an EV for a while now. I was waiting for a Taycan but less than impressed with the info released (ie.. pay a TON of money and get a car that still doesn't have great range) and went for a test drive in an iPace. I have to say I really enjoy it. VERY different experience than the Macan but just really dug it.

But I don't want to get rid of my Macan only to realize I can't make the iPace work. So here's what I'm concerned with;

I can get a charger at home and 5 out of 7 days of the week I'm running less than 40 city miles. So no problem. But twice a week I'm running somewhat longer miles, into the mountains. I live in Seattle and climb/hike.

Most of the time those two days are going between 110 and 140 miles round trip without much or any elevation gain. That seems like it won't be an issue.

But, pretty often one or both of those days is 160 to 240 miles round trip including a mountain pass (Snoqualmie or Stevens) of about 3-4k elevation gain. There is one EA station with 3 CCS chargers that is about 160 miles away if I get to my destination and backtrack to it or 110 miles away if I go there on the way out. On the way back there is minimal elevation gain but significant elevation loss.

Does this sound like a workable situation or am I going to end up being in range anxiety ****?

Just looking for some realistic info from iPace owners. There is so much varying info on range and charging out there I can't make heads or tails of it!

Thank you!

See less See more
#2 ·
You should be ok providing available EA DCFC.

I recently drove over 2 high passes with about 5500 feet gain,
and 150 miles distance. (see image Vail Pass):surprise:

Started trip at 100% SOC and 273 on GOM.:nerd:

Arrived at charging station with 94 miles left on GOM and 40% SOC.:smile2:
Average consumption was 351 watts/mile.
You can never eliminate some range anxiety, but good planning with a plan B
should reduce it.

I would also think about test drives and relationship with your local JLR dealer.

Attachments

#3 ·
There is one EA station with 3 CCS chargers that is about 160 miles away if I get to my destination and backtrack to it or 110 miles away if I go there on the way out. On the way back there is minimal elevation gain but significant elevation loss.
Totally no problem. You'll want to learn how your driving style affects consumption but I think you can pretty much count on this scenario: 30%-40% left when you hit the station on the way up ... charge to 90% (30-45 min), take it easy the rest of the way and then head home without stopping at the charger ('cause it's downhill and 160 miles with 4k ft loss is no problem).

Regarding consumption: I'm a broken record but do not trust the GoM and instead go with the %age charge (State of Charge, or SoC) that you can get in the MyEV panel in the car. Also do not trust the kWh/100mile consumption figure the car gives you .. it's way off. Instead, do this:

Record starting SoC percentage; drive. At destination, record number of miles traveled and ending SoC%. Now do the following calculation:

miles_traveled / (StartSoC-EndSoc) = Predicted total range on a full charge
[remember to convert the SoCs to a fraction, i.e. 40% = 0.4)]

Don't try to be too precise without having done this for a bunch of different trips. I.e., if you calculate a 200 mile range on the basis of a single drive of 20 miles ... well that could be it but you might have had a headwind, gone up a hill, or down a hill ... so rinse lather repeat a few times until you're comfortable that you know your range given your driving style.

Main factors influencing range on flat ground:
1. Aggressiveness of driving style (acceleration / deceleration cyles draw power inefficiently from the battery)
2. Comfort or Dynamic vs Eco mode (Eco mode mitigates accel / decel cycles)
3. Maximum sustained speed (wind resistance)
4. Climate control. Resistive heating (of the cabin) worse than AC

#7 ·
Like with everything in life, your mileage may very. The I-Pace is the best EV on the market right now. The Taycan may surpass it. I don't expect anything else will come close for a year or two.

But if range is what you really need, realize the Teslas usually don't make theirs.

#8 · (Edited)
The I-Pace isn't going to do any better from the Porsche in terms of range. Tesla is the range leader and they have their charging network. That said, I live in Portland and have taken my I-Pace all over the place this summer. My son and I mountain bike, so we've been up on Mt. Hood and Mt. St. Helens aplenty in the I-Pace. No problems at all with range (80 miles / 4000', and 160 miles / 2400', respectively). Same for the coast (170 miles / maybe 3000' of elevation gain, and loaded with 4 people & luggage). The only "problem" I've had was a day trip out to Maryhill (240 miles, round-trip). On paper, I could've made it depending on my willingness to gamble, but the reality was disappointing. I got nowhere near 240 miles - more like 160. Still not a problem. I was able to charge up at a Level III charging station at the Wal-Mart in Hood River (which only took an hour, while we shopped for some incidentals). I should probably state that it was like a billion degrees outside and I was driving fast - so not too surprising that my range was poor on that trip.

So I'd say you can lead an outdoors life without too many worries. Just do a little planning. You get used to it. There are charging station apps, and the nav has charging stations in it.

What else? I agree with GratedWasabi that the software is buggy and slow. Jaguar pushed an OTA update recently, which helped. I'd say it went from unacceptably buggy and slow to a little buggy and slow. Coming from Porsche (I came from a 911), I doubt you'll be disappointed. You also probably won't be impressed.

Coming from a Macan Turbo, you'll have more passenger room and similar luggage room in the I-Pace, with similar exterior dimensions. Fit & finish will be superior in the Jag. The I-Pace will be quicker, but you won't have the amazing engine, intake, and exhaust notes that are Porsche. I do miss that. And of course your TCO will go way down, between the cost of fuel and the cost of maintenance/repair. Depreciation? Who knows?

#9 ·
Thanks for the great responses!

I have a long test drive scheduled tomorrow, going to really try it out then do the same route in my Macan.

If that puts me in a positive mindset towards it I'll look into the cost & difficulty in getting a home charger and scout out the two important charging stations for my longer drives. Then start haggling with dealers, there is a lot of surplus 2019 inventory around here.

#12 ·
I'm not sure if anyone cares but I thought I'd update with my results, especially since I really appreciated the responses.

I've decided to stick with my Macan Turbo until 2021 when the Macan EV is rolled out and (hopefully) an updated iPace.

My thoughts on the long test drive, directly comparing to a Macan Turbo w/ the same size wheels and air suspension (my Macan also has a custom tune and is pulling higher torque numbers than an iPace, so that influenced my thoughts);

-The iPace is the best looking SUV/crossover, bar none. I think it's stunning and unique.
-The interior quality is a bit lower than the Macan but the aesthetics superior. The car I drove did *not* have the full leather upgrade, so that would probably even out quality. Seating position is superior in the Macan.
-The handling was much firmer than the Macan but less feedback. I prefer the more agile feeling of the Porsche.
-The car felt heavier (which it is) in good and bad ways. It did feel more grounded but it also just felt heavier.
-The air suspension seemed strictly inferior to that on the Macan. Even playing with Adaptive Dynamics it never hit the sweet spot that I get in the Macan.
-The software was as bad as advertised. Yikes.
-The brake feel was pretty rough. Part of that is probably just getting used to the regen.

While this seems like a lot of negatives vs the Macan, it's also comparing an $81k marked car to a $108k marked car. Plus the aesthetics & EV factor make a significant difference. If I didn't have either and was choosing between them, I think I'd end up on the Macan but ONLY because the charging is so slow on the iPace, the network in the US awful, and that software is staggeringly bad.

Here's hoping Jaguar does well enough overseas to warrant an upgraded battery in the next few years. I'd love to compare it to the Macan EV in 2 years.

#13 · (Edited)
I'm not sure if anyone cares but I thought I'd update with my results, especially since I really appreciated the responses.

I've decided to stick with my Macan Turbo until 2021 when the Macan EV is rolled out and (hopefully) an updated iPace.

My thoughts on the long test drive, directly comparing to a Macan Turbo w/ the same size wheels and air suspension (my Macan also has a custom tune and is pulling higher torque numbers than an iPace, so that influenced my thoughts);

-The iPace is the best looking SUV/crossover, bar none. I think it's stunning and unique.
-The interior quality is a bit lower than the Macan but the aesthetics superior. The car I drove did *not* have the full leather upgrade, so that would probably even out quality. Seating position is superior in the Macan.
-The handling was much firmer than the Macan but less feedback. I prefer the more agile feeling of the Porsche.
-The car felt heavier (which it is) in good and bad ways. It did feel more grounded but it also just felt heavier.
-The air suspension seemed strictly inferior to that on the Macan. Even playing with Adaptive Dynamics it never hit the sweet spot that I get in the Macan.
-The software was as bad as advertised. Yikes.
-The brake feel was pretty rough. Part of that is probably just getting used to the regen.

While this seems like a lot of negatives vs the Macan, it's also comparing an $81k marked car to a $108k marked car. Plus the aesthetics & EV factor make a significant difference. If I didn't have either and was choosing between them, I think I'd end up on the Macan but ONLY because the charging is so slow on the iPace, the network in the US awful, and that software is staggeringly bad.

Here's hoping Jaguar does well enough overseas to warrant an upgraded battery in the next few years. I'd love to compare it to the Macan EV in 2 years.
Having traded in my fully loaded 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo for a fairly loaded 2019 $90k Jaguar I-Pace HSE, I can disagree with almost everything you've concluded. While I loved my Macan Turbo, the cost of ownership was much higher than it seems to be in the Jaguar I-Pace. I drive about 20-22k / year and used to spend $400-$450 / month on gas for my Macan Turbo vs. $80-$100 / month I spend on electric to charge up my I-Pace each night for doing the same mileage, not to mention NO $250 oil/filter changes and other maintenance I used to spend quite often on my Porsche Macan Turbo. Regarding quality & fit and finish of my Jaguar I-Pace vs. my Porsche Macan Turbo, I would have to say it's about the same if not a little better with my Jaguar I-Pace. I opted for the 22" wheels w/ carbon fiber, red sport leather seats (vented & heated), carbon fiber interior trim, the air suspension is actually better in the Jaguar I-Pace than it was in my Porsche Macan Turbo, and certainly the brake regen works quite well...I got used to that after driving the I-Pace for 5 minutes (and the brakes actually work fairly well). As far as some of the other stuff goes, well, yes, the s/w of the Jaguar I-Pace is painfully slow and requires many updates quite often to get things working the way they're supposed to.

If you're waiting for Porsche to come out with the Macan EV, it could be longer than 2021...don't count on it as they're just rolling out the Taycan "Turbo" and "Turbo S" now for later this year on 1st deliveries and then next year, perhaps they'll add a Taycan 4S and base Taycan (RWD), but don't hold your breath on new Porsche EV's until at least 2022 and beyond...that would be my guess.

#17 ·
They're both great cars!

I have what you have and what you are considering--2019 I-Pace and a 2017 Macan Turbo. Functionally, these cars are pretty equal. They both perform like a good sports car, but carry gear like an SUV. But as they are similar, they are very different in how they look, drive and feel. The Macan handles better, but the Jag just looks better--it's the design of the future. The Macan looks great also, what you would expect from Porsche Design.

The Porsche sounds better, of course, while the Jag is almost totally silent. Both are cool. The porsche sounds like a proper sports car, the exhaust screaming with the turbos quickly winding up the revs with almost no end in sight. The massive torque in the Jag comes on without any sound at all! Unbelievable acceleration in almost total silence! Both are thrilling in their own way. I think they are equal in the quality of the fit and finish. The Jag's software was updated when I bought it and I haven't had any problems at all. I use Apple Car Play in both cars so perhaps I'm missing some of the software grief I read about here.

I drive both and can't really choose a favorite. For a long trip in the country, I suppose I'd take the ICE Macan just because I can count on gas stations everywhere. But around town and on short trips, the Jag is our main choice. Jag dealers are defitely dealing right now--not sure why the I-Pace sales are so slow, but I can tell you, it isn't the car! I think the JLR marketing department has blown it so far.

#18 ·
I have a 2020 I-Pace with about 1,700 kilometres after 5 weeks of owning. I also have a 2018 Macan S that I will most likely sell. Here are my thoughts.

90% of the time I spend in the car is urban and regional driving. I-Pace wins on a low-end grunt and the pleasure of regen braking. Just love the one-pedal driving. I can accelerate quickly without drawing any undue attention.

My infotainment experience has been great. The trick is getting used to the system and understanding the display programming that works. It has been reliable, The Macan, on the other hand, wins on a layout and don't need to think about it. Love the Macan wheel controls but the I-Pace is nearly there.

The Porsche interior is just so Porsche. The I-Pace is very close but the Porsche nails it from a feeling point of view.

At around 1,400 kilometres the GOM started to make sense. Up until then it consistently showed 325 kilometres after every full charge. Now it is dynamic and fairly correct based on history. I can only assume it took some time to know about my driving style linked to vehicle consumption. As a check, I divide the trip kilometres travelled by (1-charge percentage). At about 80% charge or less, it seems to give accurate results.

With the new model facelift, Macan Turbo just released, I had second thoughts (for about 10 seconds) that may be the Turbo would be more enjoyable. In Australia with reasonable options they both price up about the same. For me, it would be if I did a lot of long-distance travel. But I don't and the I-Pace wins hands down in my opinion. None the less, I'll take a good look at the Macan BEV when it's released.

#19 ·
I do think it's shocking that so few iPaces sell in the US. Like I said, if I didn't already own (and still paying off) the Macan it'd be a really close call. Yet I see a ton of Macans and I've literally seen one iPace on the road.

Honestly if they update the battery and software on the iPace in the next year or two I'll probably jump over. If I'm being 100% honest I think it's a more impressive car than the Macan but not enough so to take the risk rather than waiting a year or two to see where the technology goes.

#21 ·
If you have the cash and want a fun car buy the I Pace and expect to have some challenges at some point in time. After all it is a car.

That said I wish I knew more.before I purchased may car. I took it for granted that the battery would work as advertised as range etc is wholly dependant on it.

In my case I'm convinced that my batteries maximum deliverable power at full charge is just under 70KWH. This is way below the stated capability of the battery which is to hold 90KwH.

I'd have any car I was buying now be tested to make sure the battery will deliver as advertised.

Why am I convinced of my batteries poor capacity? Charging records and SoC. If my SoC is 50% and the car only takes 35 kWh to get to 100% that indicates that there is some sort of problem. Repeated measurements will corroborate the findings. The service center should be able to test the battery quite easily.

If your dealership can't do that for the car you want to buy, you might want to reconsider where you shop. That may sound crazy but I'm now heading back to Jag with my car to get my.battery issues resolved. I wished id had it check before I paid for it.

#22 ·
There have been members who have reported traction battery issues. Jaguar isn't known for consistency in quality builds. Definitely have the dealer prove the storage capacity and the health of the traction battery. Good luck. If you get the range you expect, I think you'll continue to enjoy this car. I've been fortunate with only being frustrated at times with the infotainment software, which translates to really loving to drive the car every day. Hope you can get the battery solved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.