Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After almost 18,000 trouble-free I-Pace miles (11k on this 2020 HSE delivered July 2019, the rest on my original FE (Dec 2018) and a 1-month loaner (only to effect a windshield change)), I finally experienced a serious issue. While in stop and go traffic Fri Mar 6, I experienced a violent shuddering at low speed (even 3 mph). It did not seem braking related, as I only depressed the GO pedal to recreate this phenomenon. It's pretty hard to describe so I took 2 videos immediately to share with the dealer. The car has been in the shop for 10 days, and they have NOT been able to recreate this issue, so I'm putting this out for anyone who may have experienced something similar to help diagnose. The dealer's techs laughed a my description "It shuddered and I got a TURTLE on the dashboard" but they weren't laughing when they saw the video. I welcome any help, even theories at this point as to what might be causing this?? (Turn up the volume so you can actually HEAR what is happening.)

·
Super Moderator
1,148 Posts
After almost 18,000 trouble-free I-Pace miles (11k on this 2020 HSE delivered July 2019, the rest on my original FE (Dec 2018) and a 1-month loaner (only to effect a windshield change)), I finally experienced a serious issue. While in stop and go traffic Fri Mar 6, I experienced a violent shuddering at low speed (even 3 mph). It did not seem braking related, as I only depressed the GO pedal to recreate this phenomenon. It's pretty hard to describe so I took 2 videos immediately to share with the dealer. The car has been in the shop for 10 days, and they have NOT been able to recreate this issue, so I'm putting this out for anyone who may have experienced something similar to help diagnose. The dealer's techs laughed a my description "It shuddered and I got a TURTLE on the dashboard" but they weren't laughing when they saw the video. I welcome any help, even theories at this point as to what might be causing this?? (Turn up the volume so you can actually HEAR what is happening.)

Sorry, I don’t have a solution, but mine did that at around 6k or so. I parked the (I was in the parking lot) watched my son’s hockey game and went back to the car and all was well! I had the car for another 4K miles and it never repeated, so I have no idea what the issue was. It wasn’t too long after I had the extend blank screen issue, which also self resolved after a few days

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, I was in a rush to leave for Orlando (2 hour drive) for a long weekend, so I had to abandon the car and grab a rental. (Ended up an hour late as a result of difficulty finding a rental car this time of year in Florida.) Since its arrival at dealer, they have been unable to recreate the problem (glad I videoed it!). Maybe I should have just left it, returned Sunday?
Did yours occur at driving speed or very low speed in the parking lot? I became apprehensive of this happening on the highway... it was quite a 'confidence shaker'. I can't seem to get any good feedback from JLR as to whether they have any handle on cause, or how to prevent occurrence in the future. I envision a bunch of engineers in Coventry (or should I say Graz?) watching my video and just scratching their heads...

·
Super Moderator
1,560 Posts
I believe what you're experiencing is binding. Unless I interpreted the video incorrectly, it seems that it shudders when you're not going straight. The differentials are binding, preventing the wheels from going at different speeds when you're turning a corner. It 'felt' exactly like my Touareg when it decides to keep the differentials locked (randomly).

·
Registered
217 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen yesterday (see my recent post about stability control issue). I notice you have an error message on the screen. Was the error message something about a problem with the stability control? I got that yesterday and got the same shuttering (seemed to come from the front left wheel). I called roadside assistance but by the time they arrived, the problem had gone away. I've driven a few times since with no issues. I was going to call the dealer Monday to describe the problem (now I have a video, thanks!). I am sure it is a problem with a sensor or cable (I had a cable harness issue cause something similar, but it was a gearbox failure message). The thumping is probably the brakes oscillating (like the anti-locks).

Note that this happens going perfectly straight as well (so not binding).

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the first video I was doing a tight circle in the parking lot, but when I first experienced the issue, I was going straight as an arrow, slowly, in stop and go traffic. Also the second, short video I'm going straight into a parking spot. So I don't think its "binding" if by definition that occurs only when turning. Also (#rcomeau), I did NOT get any message about stability control. Only the "Turtle" and "OK to Drive with Caution. Restricted Performance." Not very explicit or helpful regarding cause.

·
Registered
217 Posts
In the first video I was doing a tight circle in the parking lot, but when I first experienced the issue, I was going straight as an arrow, slowly, in stop and go traffic. Also the second, short video I'm going straight into a parking spot. So I don't think its "binding" if by definition that occurs only when turning. Also (#rcomeau), I did NOT get any message about stability control. Only the "Turtle" and "OK to Drive with Caution. Restricted Performance." Not very explicit or helpful regarding cause.
I got the stability control error followed by the turtle and drive with caution with reduced performance (understatement).

·
Registered
381 Posts
Both of the videos show the Dynamic Stability Control warning light is remaining lit (not flashing). This indicates a fault with the DSC. The shuddering is probably the brakes being applied.
It suggests a faulty sensor detecting wheel spin when it really isn't.

That's just my guess from the far end of the internet.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Both of the videos show the Dynamic Stability Control warning light is remaining lit (not flashing). This indicates a fault with the DSC. The shuddering is probably the brakes being applied.
It suggests a faulty sensor detecting wheel spin when it really isn't.

That's just my guess from the far end of the internet.
That was my error message and my sense while feeling the pulses in my steering wheel. For me, it felt like the left-front wheel was pulsing and I was thinking it was like some anti-lock on-off pulsing.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I guess I should show the symbol that I reference since we know that there some among us that don't read owner's manuals. ;)

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I stand corrrected... off to the right on my main screen (and superimposed on the map???) in the video I do see that DSC symbol. I was focused on the left screen with the warning symbol and "Turtle". Kind of inconspicuous place to put those symbols.
#Ayepace I've forwarded your comments to my service tech to see if they've investigated that possibility. I would think the car would log all DSC faults including the source of the fault signal to identify the sensor responsible. Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is this shuddering the same or similar to the symptoms caused by the intermittent wiring loom fault?

Where the Park Mode "drive locking pall" does not stay retracted when in Drive Mode?

JLRTB02012 Gearbox Fault Detected document attached.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,148 Posts
Unfortunately, I was in a rush to leave for Orlando (2 hour drive) for a long weekend, so I had to abandon the car and grab a rental. (Ended up an hour late as a result of difficulty finding a rental car this time of year in Florida.) Since its arrival at dealer, they have been unable to recreate the problem (glad I videoed it!). Maybe I should have just left it, returned Sunday?
Did yours occur at driving speed or very low speed in the parking lot? I became apprehensive of this happening on the highway... it was quite a 'confidence shaker'. I can't seem to get any good feedback from JLR as to whether they have any handle on cause, or how to prevent occurrence in the future. I envision a bunch of engineers in Coventry (or should I say Graz?) watching my video and just scratching their heads...
I was in the parking lot, so low speed. I was driving slowly, stopped as someone backed out of the parking spot I wanted. When I went to pull into the parking spot tha car started jumping and shaking like crazy and the dash lit up like Clark's Christmas lights. I stopped and started a couple times until I was in the parking spot and then just shut it down and left it. It attracted a lot of attention outside that car as it was really making a scene with all the shaking/stuttering.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Is this shuddering the same or similar to the symptoms caused by the intermittent wiring loom fault?

Where the Park Mode "drive locking pall" does not stay retracted when in Drive Mode?

JLRTB02012 Gearbox Fault Detected document attached.
Having experienced both (I had the harness issue in January), they seem different. The harness issue was specifically starting from stop and essentially locking up (hard stop) and a gearbox failure message. This is a thumping from the wheels (or wheel) with the different message related to the stability control.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update and closure. So my 'severely shuddering' I-Pace (March 6) was in the shop for 10 days and dealer could NOT recreate the problem. (Thank goodness I videoed the situation with my phone (see OP above) before I left the car for pickup by Roadside Assistance). While in, they did all the software updates. I've been driving a week since it was returned with no issues. Although its a bit unsettling that no cause of this issue was ever identified by dealer, even working through JLR corporate, we accept that behavior in phones and computers all the time, so why not cars? Frankly it has been the only real "problem" I've had, going on almost 19K miles of I-Pace driving since Dec 2018. The only advice I have for others is to video any such odd behavior to document for your service team BEFORE it "goes away". Glad to be back in my I-Pace!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Update and closure. So my 'severely shuddering' I-Pace (March 6) was in the shop for 10 days and dealer could NOT recreate the problem. (Thank goodness I videoed the situation with my phone (see OP above) before I left the car for pickup by Roadside Assistance). While in, they did all the software updates. I've been driving a week since it was returned with no issues. Although its a bit unsettling that no cause of this issue was ever identified by dealer, even working through JLR corporate, we accept that behavior in phones and computers all the time, so why not cars? Frankly it has been the only real "problem" I've had, going on almost 19K miles of I-Pace driving since Dec 2018. The only advice I have for others is to video any such odd behavior to document for your service team BEFORE it "goes away". Glad to be back in my I-Pace!
That, in way, validates me not getting towed when it happened a few weeks ago. I'd hate not to have a car these days. I'll bring it up when things are calmer and I go for my summer tires.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That, in way, validates me not getting towed when it happened a few weeks ago. I'd hate not to have a car these days. I'll bring it up when things are calmer and I go for my summer tires.
Agreed. Had I not been in an urgent rush to drive to Orlando that morning (2 hours away), I might have "let it cool down", come back later. Nonetheless, I'm glad I documented and reported it so JLR can build its database for diagnosis. Was a PITA, though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts