Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

My I-pace came with continental premium contact 6 tyres, size 255/40r22’s. Apart from range anxiety, I am also suffering a little from puncture anxiety! 😂😂 this is mainly because i regularly use my car for trips in the Sicilian countryside. I love going round the winding country roads/lanes. But the problem is that both chargers and spare tyres are not readily available!! And I do not have a spare wheel! 😱

My question. My Jaguar dealer had mentioned that I should not worry much about punctures as my tyres are “self sealing”. The tyres do actually say “seal+silent” but i tried looking this up on the internet and didn’t find much. Continental tyres mention “contiseal” on their site but they show these as not available for the I-pace!

there is also nothing mentioned in the manual about these tyres.

Does anyone know what “seal+silent! Really means? And does anyone have any experience of punctures with these type of wheels?

thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
EThanks for trying to help norfrod. I had already seen that! But it is not clear if the seal+silent mark on my tyres means that they are the same as contiseal, as far as I can see!

·
Registered
2020 I-Pace S
74 Posts
I'd rather not rely on the sealant put into the tires, how long ago?, to still be viable or enough to "heal" a larger puncture. I have the airpump/sealant that came with my I-Pace in the boot and another brand in the Frunk plus AAA. With no spare I'm probably overly cautious but since I drive rural back roads a bit it's not unreasonable to be safer.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I'd not trust it either if I were anxious. Go find a compatible wheel and tire. It doesn't have to match looks to be a spare, just size.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
2,093 Posts
The additional marking of 'SEAL' indicates it has sealant.
The additional marking of 'SILENT' means it has a foam type material (or whatever the manufacturer uses) in it to provide a more quiet ride.

ContiSeal is a trademark for Continental tires containing their sealant system.

These additional marking like the additional marking 'M+S' meaning it is designed for use in mud and snow conditions.

Since 'S' is already in use for snow, it could not be used to specify sealant or silent. Clearly they needed to be spelled out to prevent confusion with these 3 meanings among others.

·
Registered
634 Posts
When I go on roadtrip on vacation, I usually load the trunk with one winter tire (on rim) and a jack. I don’t want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere during my holidays. The downside is that half of the trunk is no longer available for luggage.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The additional marking of 'SEAL' indicates it has sealant.
The additional marking of 'SILENT' means it has a foam type material (or whatever the manufacturer uses) in it to provide a more quiet ride.

ContiSeal is a trademark for Continental tires containing their sealant system.

These additional marking like the additional marking 'M+S' meaning it is designed for use in mud and snow conditions.

Since 'S' is already in use for snow, it could not be used to specify sealant or silent. Clearly they needed to be spelled out to prevent confusion with these 3 meanings among others.
Thanks for your reply! Makes sense. 👍

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I go on roadtrip on vacation, I usually load the trunk with one winter tire (on rim) and a jack. I don’t want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere during my holidays. The downside is that half of the trunk is no longer available for luggage.
Yes, exactly. I’d need it mainly when I am on a driving holiday and that is also when I can’t afford to lose the luggage space 😱😢

·
Registered
332 Posts
In addition to the factory included pump/goop kit, I have a can of Fix-a-Flat. FaF isn't as good as the pump/goop kit IMO, but I'm not comfortable that I could talk my wife through the factory kit over the phone. I also strongly recommend keeping a string plug set in the car:

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Gas Vehicle

With the EAS set for off-road height, you can get to most punctures and make a better repair than either the factory pump/goop kit or FaF ... I know from experience. Front tires are very easy because you can turn wheel to expose the damaged area, but I've made a roadside repair on the rear with just the EAS raised.

I'd also go ahead and print out the recovery instructions for flat bedding the car and keep that in the glove box. I could talk a tow truck drive through the procedure, but my wife drives the I Pace without me frequently.

I also have AAA.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In addition to the factory included pump/goop kit, I have a can of Fix-a-Flat. FaF isn't as good as the pump/goop kit IMO, but I'm not comfortable that I could talk my wife through the factory kit over the phone. I also strongly recommend keeping a string plug set in the car:

View attachment 7059

With the EAS set for off-road height, you can get to most punctures and make a better repair than either the factory pump/goop kit or FaF ... I know from experience. Front tires are very easy because you can turn wheel to expose the damaged area, but I've made a roadside repair on the rear with just the EAS raised.

I'd also go ahead and print out the recovery instructions for flat bedding the car and keep that in the glove box. I could talk a tow truck drive through the procedure, but my wife drives the I Pace without me frequently.

I also have AAA.
Hey pollo!
my car did not come with the poop/gump kit and I’d never heard of the fix-a-flat or anything similar! I guess I must be pretty ancient with my old bmw‘s full size spare wheel! 😂😂 so, many thanks for the info. Will certainly look that up.

And you brought up another point! I used to own a Citroen with adjustable air suspension. With that I could put the car on its highest off-road level, chuck a jack or stone or whatever is available under the car, lower the suspension, so the car goes down on three wheels leaving the punctured tyre up on the air! Lazy man’s way of not using a jack! Has anyone tried that on the jag?

·
Registered
2020 I-Pace S
74 Posts
Hey pollo!
my car did not come with the poop/gump kit and I’d never heard of the fix-a-flat or anything similar! I guess I must be pretty ancient with my old bmw‘s full size spare wheel! 😂😂 so, many thanks for the info. Will certainly look that up.

And you brought up another point! I used to own a Citroen with adjustable air suspension. With that I could put the car on its highest off-road level, chuck a jack or stone or whatever is available under the car, lower the suspension, so the car goes down on three wheels leaving the punctured tyre up on the air! Lazy man’s way of not using a jack! Has anyone tried that on the jag?
This one got quite a few positive comments on several other auto forums. I gave it as a gift to a friend with a Tesla and he was very happy to have it on the occasion he needed it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This one got quite a few positive comments on several other auto forums. I gave it as a gift to a friend with a Tesla and he was very happy to have it on the occasion he needed it.
Thank you docrw! Looks interesting. 👍🙏🏻

·
Registered
2020 I-Pace S
74 Posts
Thank you docrw! Looks interesting. 👍🙏🏻
Its supposed to be on par with the kit JLR put in vehicles. As my dealer can't seem to order a replacement I went looking for one that had very solid ratings (I think I saw the positives on a Merc and a Volvo forum when I was looking). There are plenty out there,

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
2,093 Posts
The JLR kit is also known as the ContiMobilityKit. https://www.continental-tires.com/car/tires/continental-spare-parts/contimobilitykit
JLR compressor is part J9C2960.
JLR sealant is part C2D47106.

I don't see much difference between this kit and going to a local (at least in US) store and getting a bottle of Slime sealant and an air pump (there are Slime branded pumps). I'd recommend a pump that has a digital display of pressure and can be set to a maximum pressure so that it shuts off when/if the tire seals and inflates to the proper amount.

I used Slime to seal a lawn tractor tire once. It held for 15 years. I've also used on a car tire that the tire shop could not seem to stop from leaking down 5 PSI/week. I didn't even put a lot in the tire since it was not a full puncture and it sealed up.

·
Registered
2020 S
150 Posts
I've got a 12V Slime air compressor I had originally bought for my previous BMW when I moved away from run flats, but I haven't had to use it. Now that I think about it, I wonder if that bottle of Slime sealant is still any good after about 6 years. Probably not according to Google.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of slime. I think a plug is better for a simple hole, and a gash is going to need a new tire. I just plugged a tire on my Model Y. Had a 1/4" drill bit in it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts