Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like the I-Pace hasn't been the resounding success that Jaguar was hoping for. Apparently during the month of August, they were only able to sell around 140 units. While August is traditionally a slow month for car sales, only 558 have been sold since it first came to market. There is however a production backlog in Europe and the car isn't even available in all markets yet. Seems like there is a lot riding on the company being able to ramp up production.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I also saw this "story." The vehicle is sold-out for 6+ months, with 20k on order (over next two years) by Waymo, alone.

So, I think the problem here is the use of the number of deliveries in August (i.e., August "sales") as an indication of overall sales / interest in the car.

The poor framing of this narrative may please Tesla in the short-term, but I don't think anyone at JLR is concerned about a lack of interest in the I-Pace.

·
Registered
112 Posts
this is as funny as when people dismiss EVs as "less than 1% of all new car sales"... well... DUH there are only 10,000 made a week!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Didn't deliveries just start in the UK last week? And they're saying 418 were sold sometime before August as well? I'm confused, I cannot find find anybody that claims to have taken delivery on the UK forum either. I'm wondering if they get their info through registrations and they scooped up demo/prototype registrations?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not sure about sales but I was in the Jaguar dealership in Paramus NJ and they didn’t even want to sell me the car. Basically they said wait a month until you can tes5 drive it and the programs are announced. They said until then nothing really to do. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I was at the dealer in Harrisburg, PA. Found them quite enthusiastic about the car. They even checked out my wife's Model 3 lol.

They said November to check back w/them. Didn't even attempt to sell us a gas car! (Cuz... that ain't gonna happen).

·
Registered
245 Posts
Didn't deliveries just start in the UK last week? And they're saying 418 were sold sometime before August as well? I'm confused, I cannot find find anybody that claims to have taken delivery on the UK forum either. I'm wondering if they get their info through registrations and they scooped up demo/prototype registrations?

Ultimately, I'm just not concerned about the accuracy of this reporting. We all know it's early stages of production and delivery. I have seen folks on the UK forum state that their car is available for handover (but they've been on holiday). So, European deliveries are starting this month, with up-tick second half of September.

More importantly, the re-scheduling (of orders) from July appears to be holding.

Shipping to the U.S. takes up to 2 months for the West Coast. So, October builds like mine won't show 'til December.

And it's possible(?) even greater interest will develop once show-room models become (more widely) available and there are cars on the ground . . . All JLR has right now is rave reviews from press events and a handful of test drives. Yawn. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,952 Posts
Jaguar as a company cares a lot about how many they sell because they're staking a considerable part of their competitive future on it and follow-on models. (Also see their battery deal.) Dealers of course are still most enthusiastic about their petrol cars because that's where they're making money now.

I can't imagine there are production issues because it's built by Magna Steyr and I'd be shocked and if they don't have their act together. They build the G Wagen and the E Pace, among others. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magna_Steyr

·
Registered
309 Posts
I was at the dealer in Harrisburg, PA. Found them quite enthusiastic about the car. They even checked out my wife's Model 3 lol. They said November to check back w/them. Didn't even attempt to sell us a gas car! (Cuz... that ain't gonna happen).
Same with my dealer in southern California. Seemed proud of the I-Pace' performance, happy to take my order, and didn't even mention any of their other cars let alone try to sell me one. They talk a lot about how much better it drives than the Tesla Model X.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ultimately, I'm just not concerned about the accuracy of this reporting. We all know it's early stages of production and delivery. I have seen folks on the UK forum state that their car is available for handover (but they've been on holiday). So, European deliveries are starting this month, with up-tick second half of September.

More importantly, the re-scheduling (of orders) from July appears to be holding.

Shipping to the U.S. takes up to 2 months for the West Coast. So, October builds like mine won't show 'til December.

And it's possible(?) even greater interest will develop once show-room models become (more widely) available and there are cars on the ground . . . All JLR has right now is rave reviews from press events and a handful of test drives. Yawn. :)
My F-pace was built sometime in April and delivered in Mid May. So delivery to California(Bay Area at least) is a month at most. Although, now that I'm thinking about this, those cars were built in the UK and the i-pace's will be built in austria. I'm sure it adds at least a few days to the journey for that alone.

·
Registered
958 Posts
If I like the test drive, I'll order a second one. The Model 3 Performance didn't really tickle me all that much, other than in acceleration and a soft ride.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Folks in Norway are reporting 65 I-Paces at the dealership being prepped for handover. . . Sounds like Magna is up and running.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts