Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

I ended up selling my i-Pace early last week. I was sad to say goodbye because it was definitely the best handling car I’ve ever driven. Unfortunately the lack of a dealer on the island, a TCU that needs some TLC from a dealer, a needed IMC update to fix the lack of audible CarPlay navigation directions, and upcoming regular maintenance made keeping it untenable. The buyer lives on the mainland and has easy access to a dealership, so it should work out well for him.

I then took delivery of a 2022 BMW iX xDrive50 the next day. I really like it, but it’s a completely different experience. Below are my thoughts after a week with the new car.
  • Acceleration - Basically the same
  • Handling - The i-Pace is a substantially better handling car. As is typical for BMWs (at least for non-M models), the steering feels pretty disconnected from the road. There is a lot more sway in corners, which I kind of expected from a larger and taller SUV. Fun thing: even though the iX is 10” longer, the wheelbase is only ~1” longer. But even with the slightly longer wheelbase the turning radius is several feel shorter because of the rear wheel Active Steering.
  • Ride Comfort - The iX is much more comfortable and relaxing, with one exception: something about the iX’s air suspension and height actually gives my wife and I some motion sickness if I try to drive in a spirited fashion on a twisty road (only other time I’ve experienced that was on a boat in choppy seas). It's probably a good thing that I'm discouraged from doing that, as I typically did it on the Road to Hana, and there are so many blind corners where people drift across to the opposite direction of traffic.
  • Seat Comfort - Even though the iX doesn’t have the multi-contour seats of the X5, the multi-function seats are really comfortable (unless you’re less than 5’ 2” because of a stupid design choice of putting hard plastic into part of the headrest). Adjustable side bolsters are something I didn’t know I wanted until I got them. I do wish the seats were actively cooled like the i-Pace instead of just ventilated.
  • Appearance - The i-Pace is a stunner, so really there's no way for the iX to compare, but once you get past the giant beaver teeth the interior and other sides are gorgeous.
  • Windows - The panoramic roof and windshield feel as effective as the i-Pace’s for rejecting heat, but the side windows definitely need some tint to reject more IR. The electro-chromatic tint on the roof is pretty cool, but honestly kind of a gimmick. How often does the driver look straight up?
  • Cabin noise - The cabin seems to be quieter than the i-Pace, both while accelerating and at cruising speed. This could be due to tire wear, but I only had ~17k miles on the i-Pace, so the tires shouldn't have been substantially degraded to the point of causing extra road noise.
  • Sound system - I have the stock Harmon Kardon and it sounds just as good as the i-Pace's Meridian. I wasn't willing to spend an additional $3k to get the upgraded Bowers & Wilkens system though. Do I really need a subwoofer in the bottom of the seat?
  • General Tech - The iX feels like it's from an entirely different planet than the i-Pace, a planet where developers care about responsiveness and getting things right.
  • ADAS - I'm used to ACC working well (worked great on my 2012 Audi A6 and on the i-Pace), so that being good isn't a shock. But the lane keep / automatic steering in the iX is great. I've made multiple trips over to Lahaina and it generally only disengages in 2 specific spots (sharp corners with lane lines that aren't clear). And when it does disengage it gives audible and visual warnings (hello, Jaguar engineers!).
  • Cameras - The 360 camera view is much more clear, as are the backup guide markers while in reverse.
  • Maneuvering Sensors - The obstruction sensor info it overlays on camera display is phenomenal. Much more granular info than the i-Pace.
  • Infotainment - The built-in nav is great, but the multi-screen wireless CarPlay integration seems to be flawless. Having CarPlay's directions in the instrument cluster and on the HUD is awesome. Everything about the infotainment system feels responsive (at least when you're used to ICTP in a Jag).
  • Phone as key - The UWB Digital Key Plus is awesome. Not having to carry a key or take the phone out of my pocket is so nice. The sad part on this one is the i-Pace has had the required hardware since day one (Jag keys use UWB), they just need to do the software bits.
  • iPhone app - The MyBMW app works great. All the info you get from the Jaguar app, but it refreshes faster and the notifications seem to come through in seconds. As an example, I have my EVSE set to only charge between 11am-3pm (to try and catch most of the excess solar production). A couple of seconds after 11 I get a notification from MyBMW that charging has started.
Overall I'm much more relaxed / calm when I get to my destination, especially if there is traffic like on Saturday afternoons going to the west side. But there are a couple of things that will take some getting used to. First, even though the iX has a lower CD (0.25 vs. 0.29 for the Jag), bugs manage to hit the windshield a lot more because it doesn’t have the air funnel in the hood. Second, the inability to disable creep while leaving automatic regen at low/none is annoying. I hate 1-pedal driving, but creep in an EV just seems pointless (and I’m rather used to coasting to a stop even with regen on low in the i-Pace).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Very nice writeup and summary thanks. I did contemplate an iX 40 but opted for the I-Pace due to the sheer size of the BMW iX. I specifically swore I did not need such a big boxy SUV again after my E-Tron.

I get the fact some people prefer the better tech etc but I personally don;t find most of the blind spot monitoring, HUD, ACC, or 360 cameras useful. I have had them with other cars but just felt it became almost information overload and I have a working neck and eyes :)

I do agree on the one pedal driving thing, I just cannot like it no matter how much I try it. I forced myself to keep using it and became very smooth at it, but I just felt all that constant throttle modulation was too much effort.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Your opinion echos a lot as to our opinion of our X5 45e, But I love my I-Pace one pedal driving. The closest I can get to it on the BMW is (when in electric mode) to hit the click cruise control 10 times down and it will downshift the transmission and give some regen braking effect down to 20mph.

·
Administrator
3,186 Posts
Hey cyber,

Hey slug,

You'll be sorely missed here. Glad you found a great replacement. Reviews like yours make me hopeful about the EV future. Nothing is perfect, but there are some great non-Tesla options out there. I hope Hawaii is treating you well otherwise! 🍺

·
Registered
838 Posts
Glad you like your iX. It’s a great car!

it’s nice how it’s quiet. That was a big thing for me.

Pivi pro is an upgrade from the previous version. It’s not really fair to compare a three year old UI for a brand new one. The new ones have a upgraded 3D camera. Jaguar not know for their software!

I wish the I pace had read active steering! The street I live on ends in a small cul de sac and the I pace is quite cumbersome.

Jaguar ADAS is on the back end of curve. I don’t trust mine seems to lose the lane markings easily.

Why do we still have a huge key fin in 2022?! Phone as a key should be standard now, imho.

But I still love my i pace. Was actually thinking today how I’ll cancel my lucid Touring reservation. And I still prefer my i pace to my wife’s model Y.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I wish the I pace had read active steering! The street I live on ends in a small cul de sac and the I pace is quite cumbersome.
Jaguar ADAS is on the back end of curve. I don’t trust mine seems to lose the lane markings easily.
Why do we still have a huge key fin in 2022?! Phone as a key should be standard now, imho.
But I still love my i pace. Was actually thinking today how I’ll cancel my lucid Touring reservation. And I still prefer my i pace to my wife’s model Y.
I'm not a huge fan of variable ratio steering myself. It makes the car less predictable.
I really prefer the Jag system. It gives just enough help to reduce fatigue but require attention. Other systems are perhaps better at following the road, but they lull you into complacency then bite you in the ass. I only use autopilot for low-speed stop and go. Otherwise, can't trust it and can't work with it.
I agree on the phone.
You should keep the Lucid reservation so you can resell at a profit. :) The I-Pace is far superior to the Model Y. Now that I have 5k of suspension upgrades, a 1.5k speed upgrade, and $300 of added physical buttons on the MY, it's actually not so irritating a car. It even has some ride height like the I-Pace. But the seats, interior, noise, and looks are still all crap. Wife had to dodge rocks on the way to work today, so she just lifted the car. Ta-da!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for the writeup. i think you have confirmed why I leased my I-Pace. the tech is moving so fast that 3 years makes a big difference. I love my I-Pace, but it is very much a gen 1 EV. The BMW and others are more Gen 2 - Gen 3....and you didn't even mention fast charging or range :), though I suspect not such an issue for you in your location.

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very nice writeup and summary thanks. I did contemplate an iX 40 but opted for the I-Pace due to the sheer size of the BMW iX. I specifically swore I did not need such a big boxy SUV again after my E-Tron.

I get the fact some people prefer the better tech etc but I personally don;t find most of the blind spot monitoring, HUD, ACC, or 360 cameras useful. I have had them with other cars but just felt it became almost information overload and I have a working neck and eyes :)
The iX is a bit bigger than what I really want, but there just aren't enough options (yet). I think the GV60 would have worked, but there isn't a Genesis dealer on island either, and the EV6 interior feels to cheap (which makes sense given it isn't a luxury car).

I've gotten so used to using a HUD that it's actually disconcerting to drive my wife's CRV without one.

You'll be sorely missed here. Glad you found a great replacement. Reviews like yours make me hopeful about the EV future. Nothing is perfect, but there are some great non-Tesla options out there. I hope Hawaii is treating you well otherwise! 🍺
Thank you! There's definitely a lot to look forward to. I did a three year lease for this one specifically so I'd be in the market again in 2025. I could see going back to Audi at that point since there is an authorized service center on island. Maybe the RS6 Avant e-Tron. :cool:

Pivi pro is an upgrade from the previous version. It’s not really fair to compare a three year old UI for a brand new one. The new ones have a upgraded 3D camera. Jaguar not know for their software!

Definitely true that it isn't fair to compare ICTP to iDrive 8. Pivi Pro probably fares better in the comparison, but I haven't had any experience with it. I suspect most luxury cars will be using UWB phone as key in the next few years.

I'm not a huge fan of variable ratio steering myself. It makes the car less predictable.
I really prefer the Jag system. It gives just enough help to reduce fatigue but require attention. Other systems are perhaps better at following the road, but they lull you into complacency then bite you in the ass. I only use autopilot for low-speed stop and go. Otherwise, can't trust it and can't work with it.
You definitely get used to the steering changes, and it really does help maneuvering in a parking garage. And the steering assist + ACC is great for traffic jams.

Thanks for the writeup. i think you have confirmed why I leased my I-Pace. the tech is moving so fast that 3 years makes a big difference. I love my I-Pace, but it is very much a gen 1 EV. The BMW and others are more Gen 2 - Gen 3....and you didn't even mention fast charging or range :), though I suspect not such an issue for you in your location.
Yeah, range and fast charging aren't much of an issue here, so long as you can charge at home. But so far it definitely beats the EPA estimates with my driving, getting more than 300 miles on an 80% charge. It does help that that temps here are almost always warm but not hot, so practically in the battery's sweet spot.

·
Registered
2020 JaguarI-Pace
20 Posts
Hey all.

I ended up selling my i-Pace early last week. I was sad to say goodbye because it was definitely the best handling car I’ve ever driven. Unfortunately the lack of a dealer on the island, a TCU that needs some TLC from a dealer, a needed IMC update to fix the lack of audible CarPlay navigation directions, and upcoming regular maintenance made keeping it untenable. The buyer lives on the mainland and has easy access to a dealership, so it should work out well for him.

I then took delivery of a 2022 BMW iX xDrive50 the next day. I really like it, but it’s a completely different experience. Below are my thoughts after a week with the new car.
  • Handling - The i-Pace is a substantially better handling car. As is typical for BMWs (at least for non-M models), the steering feels pretty disconnected from the road. There is a lot more sway in corners, which I kind of expected from a larger and taller SUV. Fun thing: even though the iX is 10” longer, the wheelbase is only ~1” longer. But even with the slightly longer wheelbase the turning radius is several feel shorter because of the rear wheel Active Steering.
  • Ride Comfort - The iX is much more comfortable and relaxing, with one exception: something about the iX’s air suspension and height actually gives my wife and I some motion sickness if I try to drive in a spirited fashion on a twisty road (only other time I’ve experienced that was on a boat in choppy seas). It's probably a good thing that I'm discouraged from doing that, as I typically did it on the Road to Hana, and there are so many blind corners where people drift across to the opposite direction of traffic.
  • Seat Comfort - Even though the iX doesn’t have the multi-contour seats of the X5, the multi-function seats are really comfortable (unless you’re less than 5’ 2” because of a stupid design choice of putting hard plastic into part of the headrest). Adjustable side bolsters are something I didn’t know I wanted until I got them. I do wish the seats were actively cooled like the i-Pace instead of just ventilated.
  • Appearance - The i-Pace is a stunner, so really there's no way for the iX to compare, but once you get past the giant beaver teeth the interior and other sides are gorgeous.
  • Windows - The panoramic roof and windshield feel as effective as the i-Pace’s for rejecting heat, but the side windows definitely need some tint to reject more IR. The electro-chromatic tint on the roof is pretty cool, but honestly kind of a gimmick. How often does the driver look straight up?
  • Cabin noise - The cabin seems to be quieter than the i-Pace, both while accelerating and at cruising speed. This could be due to tire wear, but I only had ~17k miles on the i-Pace, so the tires shouldn't have been substantially degraded to the point of causing extra road noise.
  • Sound system - I have the stock Harmon Kardon and it sounds just as good as the i-Pace's Meridian. I wasn't willing to spend an additional $3k to get the upgraded Bowers & Wilkens system though. Do I really need a subwoofer in the bottom of the seat?
  • General Tech - The iX feels like it's from an entirely different planet than the i-Pace, a planet where developers care about responsiveness and getting things right.
  • ADAS - I'm used to ACC working well (worked great on my 2012 Audi A6 and on the i-Pace), so that being good isn't a shock. But the lane keep / automatic steering in the iX is great. I've made multiple trips over to Lahaina and it generally only disengages in 2 specific spots (sharp corners with lane lines that aren't clear). And when it does disengage it gives audible and visual warnings (hello, Jaguar engineers!).
  • Cameras - The 360 camera view is much more clear, as are the backup guide markers while in reverse.
  • Maneuvering Sensors - The obstruction sensor info it overlays on camera display is phenomenal. Much more granular info than the i-Pace.
  • Infotainment - The built-in nav is great, but the multi-screen wireless CarPlay integration seems to be flawless. Having CarPlay's directions in the instrument cluster and on the HUD is awesome. Everything about the infotainment system feels responsive (at least when you're used to ICTP in a Jag).
  • Phone as key - The UWB Digital Key Plus is awesome. Not having to carry a key or take the phone out of my pocket is so nice. The sad part on this one is the i-Pace has had the required hardware since day one (Jag keys use UWB), they just need to do the software bits.
  • iPhone app - The MyBMW app works great. All the info you get from the Jaguar app, but it refreshes faster and the notifications seem to come through in seconds. As an example, I have my EVSE set to only charge between 11am-3pm (to try and catch most of the excess solar production). A couple of seconds after 11 I get a notification from MyBMW that charging has started.
Overall I'm much more relaxed / calm when I get to my destination, especially if there is traffic like on Saturday afternoons going to the west side. But there are a couple of things that will take some getting used to. First, even though the iX has a lower CD (0.25 vs. 0.29 for the Jag), bugs manage to hit the windshield a lot more because it doesn’t have the air funnel in the hood. Second, the inability to disable creep while leaving automatic regen at low/none is annoying. I hate 1-pedal driving, but creep in an EV just seems pointless (and I’m rather used to coasting to a stop even with regen on low in the i-Pace).
This detailed comparison is impressive and the share is appreciated. The iX has been thought of several times so thank you for the information.

The i-pace certainly has its share of flaws, but living here on the mainland with better service support does make it easier to cope with so I hope the new owner has a pleasant ownership experience. It would be nice if Jaguar took pride in the software updates because the infotainment system definitely has a lot of bugs. The thermal management system could also use some tweaks so that it doesn't decide to completely turn off the A/C when the outside temperatures rise above 100ish degrees. The service center cannot duplicate this issue by the time I get it into the shop, so naturally, they are unable to troubleshoot and fix the issue. Where I find it hard to beat Jaguar is in the handling of the i-pace and as you mentioned - the stunning appearance. The active air suspension always impresses me, as does the one-pedal driving.

·
Registered
12 Posts
great summary, and I echo your sentiments. I have moved from my 2019 I-pace to a new 2022 iX, just no ACC. I enjoy the engagement I get on the BMW, but agree the the steering feels disconnected. The Jag is definitely the better connected driving experience.
I will be sad to see my Jag go, but I am going through repurchase steps cause of many many issues that take way too long to fix, it has currently been in the shop for months waiting on parts. So maybe I won’t be so sad when I finally finish it saga.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Thanks for update, sorry to see you go, happy to see you have a new toy...I mean car! I always said the infotainment/tech/displays of Jaguars are not up to modern luxury standards. It is a testament to how good the I-Pace is that a lot of us don't care that it is so out of date in tech.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks for update, sorry to see you go, happy to see you have a new toy...I mean car! I always said the infotainment/tech/displays of Jaguars are not up to modern luxury standards. It is a testament to how good the I-Pace is that a lot of us don't care that it is so out of date in tech.
Tech does everything I want, and, with home screen set to my preferences and needs, I find it easy to use.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
1,036 Posts
Shame to see another of the early adopters move on, but understandable with no dealers on the island. Some of us are spoilt for choice with multiple (>6) within an hours drive. [Of course, when they are all slow or bad choice is not relevant].

Nice comparison of the Cat with the BMW. Your comments regarding drive and comfort are what is most appealing about the I-Pace - it drives so smoothly, but you still feel the road and the motion. Some cars lose that feel and in doing so lose the fun of driving. I know some drivers prefer that feel, but that isn't what a Jaguar is supposed to feel like.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
1,036 Posts
Tech does everything I want, and, with home screen set to my preferences and needs, I find it easy to use.
As has been said before. It comes down to whether you want a multimedia system on wheels or a car that provides the infotainment that you need. To me the car (drive, ride, comfort, feel) is more important.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I have sometimes felt anxious about if something terrible breaks in the car and we'll be without it for months. Then I realize that we can wait for a repair and probably get some compensation from Jaguar. Then I also realize that the Jaguar is a fucking beautiful and fantastic car. I hope nothing ever breaks, but I know we'll get to keep it for many years to come.

·
Registered
2020 I-Pase HSE in Fuji White
165 Posts
Hey all.

I owned a BMW X5. We really enjoyed that car and thought it was a good handling, spirited and comfortable ride. We do like our IPace better for many reasons. One is the dash setup but you can't go wrong with a BMW. Enjoy your new ride and I would love a sub under my seat but for 3k - not sure.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts