Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
If this works anything like Tesla's OTA updates, why would the dealer need to notify us? If it's a true OTA update, it would simply show up on the screen as available for download. At least that's how it worked with MS.
The car will tell you if you check. The email is a reminder that the update is available and is probably intended for drivers like me who forget to check or are unaware that the update is coming.

·
Registered
448 Posts
If this works anything like Tesla's OTA updates, why would the dealer need to notify us? If it's a true OTA update, it would simply show up on the screen as available for download. At least that's how it worked with MS.
It isn't a dealer notification. It comes from Jaguar corporate. Unlike that other company, they don't have the attitude "Surprise!"

Jaguar owners gave them feedback that they'd like an email explaining features being sent out in a format they could read and when to expect it. It's a good thing too because some cars have had trouble in the past and it would always say it was up to date, yet there was one or more updates that had come out. Mine was one of those and it had to get fixed by a dealer.

·
Registered
136 Posts
OK, that makes sense. With Tesla you did have the option to refuse the update, so it wasn't mandatory. Of course you weren't always sure what was in the update unless you read the forums for those that had already installed the update. After installation a screen would open up telling you what new features or fixes were done...at least those that Tesla wanted to admit to. ;)

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
LOL. Oh you are very new to Jaguar and SOTA...ha ha ha. I have had my car since Dec. 2019 and NOT a single update has been able to be done over OTA. My dealer actually told me they just tell customers to bring ALL Jag and Land Rover models in, because 9/10 times SOTA either fails or the update is "too big" or "too sensitive" to be done OTA.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yeah, I guess I’m learning the ropes here. We can’t even get a consensus from owners on what causes the car to turn off or stay on when you exit the vehicle! We’ve got at least 3 different theories in that thread. That’s a first for any car I’ve owned. But hey, it’s all fun. 😆

·
Registered
448 Posts
LOL. Oh you are very new to Jaguar and SOTA...ha ha ha. I have had my car since Dec. 2019 and NOT a single update has been able to be done over OTA. My dealer actually told me they just tell customers to bring ALL Jag and Land Rover models in, because 9/10 times SOTA either fails or the update is "too big" or "too sensitive" to be done OTA.
Before you got yours, 19B and 19C Infotainment updates came out. They were delivered OTA. Jaguar pestered owners with emails to get them to use SOTA feature for them. Your car was delivered with 19C as I recall.

I had to go to a dealer to force feed 19B into the car (and allegedly replace an antenna). 19C came OTA to me after that. I expect 20A will update just fine.

Maybe Jaguar doesn't need to send out updates as often as that other company. ;)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Before you got yours, 19B and 19C Infotainment updates came out. They were delivered OTA. Jaguar pestered owners with emails to get them to use SOTA feature for them. Your car was delivered with 19C as I recall.

I had to go to a dealer to force feed 19B into the car (and allegedly replace an antenna). 19C came OTA to me after that. I expect 20A will update just fine.

Maybe Jaguar doesn't need to send out updates as often as that other company. ;)
You mean like adding 'rain sensing wipers' with an OTA update? A feature that should have been there from day 1 on 'that other car'. ;)

·
Premium Member
330 Posts

Yes, you are right! When I took delivery of my car I had 19C already in my car (although my selling dealer neglected to do 3-4 other updates including a safety recall). I think on 12/31/19 my servicing Jaguar dealer did my H264 and further updated everything else. I will be curious if 20A will come OTA and if it will work.
I hope my servicing dealer is wrong, telling me the vast majority of OTA updates are problematic and most of their customers end up having to make a Service Dept. appt. to finish or complete!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yes, you are right! When I took delivery of my car I had 19C already in my car (although my selling dealer neglected to do 3-4 other updates including a safety recall). I think on 12/31/19 my servicing Jaguar dealer did my H264 and further updated everything else. I will be curious if 20A will come OTA and if it will work.
I hope my servicing dealer is wrong, telling me the vast majority of OTA updates are problematic and most of their customers end up having to make a Service Dept. appt. to finish or complete!
I've never had an OTA fail and your dealer is financially motivated to want you to come in. They get paid for doing it from JLR and can try to upsell you unneeded services and accessories while you're there.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
I've never had an OTA fail and your dealer is financially motivated to want you to come in. They get paid for doing it from JLR and can try to upsell you unneeded services and accessories while you're there.
They of course do get paid from JLR, but it JLR made their OTA updates work better, owners would not have to make a Service appt ;) I have had THREE JLR dealers tell me that it is sadly quite common for SOTA to fail on the I-Pace and other JLR products with OTA updates :(

And I have never had a Service Dept. try to upsell me on anything....The I-Pace has full factory warranty and maintenance prepaid. There is really nothing they could sell me , LOL.

·
Registered
535 Posts
My SOTA has always worked fine automatically. But then I am rather patient and don't need to run in to the dealer if word is out that someone has completed a download.

Dealer did try to get me for $200 alignment at the first scheduled maintenance. :rolleyes:

21 - 31 of 31 Posts