Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I’m new here and just started a search to replace my Tesla3. The Tesla ride quality is just too jarring for me. My main requirement is comfort. I’m 6’3” and getting up there in years. I test drove an HSE this weekend and thought the ride quality was pretty good. Headroom is good with glass roof. Seat was a little hard for me though. Overall fun car to drive. To keep costs down I’m looking at an stripped S but it’s out of state so can’t drive it. Any comments on the difference in seat comfort and ride quality between S and HSE? Does S has air suspension and seat thigh extension?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,149 Posts
There are 3 seat styles available for the I-Pace: Sport, Comforts and Performance. I don’t think the performance seats are available for the S, but I could be wrong

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi.

I’m new here and just started a search to replace my Tesla3. The Tesla ride quality is just too jarring for me. My main requirement is comfort. I’m 6’3” and getting up there in years. I test drove an HSE this weekend and thought the ride quality was pretty good. Headroom is good with glass roof. Seat was a little hard for me though. Overall fun car to drive. To keep costs down I’m looking at an stripped S but it’s out of state so can’t drive it. Any comments on the difference in seat comfort and ride quality between S and HSE? Does S has air suspension and seat thigh extension?

Thanks
I have the sports seat in my HSE and while I like them quite a bit, one thing I do notice is that the headrest area is fully integrated into the seat design - there's no adjusting it, no telescoping up and down. I'm 6'1" and I feel like I'm at the top of the seat, if I was any taller, I would want to adjust it higher (which it doesn't do).

·
Super Moderator
1,149 Posts
There are 3 seat styles available for the I-Pace: Sport, Comforts and Performance. I don’t think the performance seats are available for the S, but I could be wrong

My mistake. There are only two different style of seats. The Sport seats which are the basic seats (but available in different fabric/leathers and the Comfort seat (also known as the performance seat). This is the one with the integrated headrest.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have the performance/comfort seats and cannot recommend them enough. Love them. Extremely adjustable and comfortable, great lumbar and lateral support. Ventilation is nice too.

Another nice thing about the performance seats is they are thinner front-to-back so it seems like you get a (very slight) extra legroom in the back with the seats in the same position, nice for rear passengers. Plus, they just look awesome.

·
Registered
218 Posts
So there are differences other than the options packages? I did not realize that there was anything fundamentally different between the models. I ended up with an HSE (I ordered an SE but an HSE was in stock). Just curious as I though I did the research and don't want to think I got what I got from dumb luck.

·
Registered
980 Posts
When I was looking you could start with an S and add all the options that were in everything up to first edition. Except some body panel colors.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Love my First Edition! My cooled seats work well and allow me to back off the AC a little for more range. The adjustable suspension is also a great option so I would go for all the bells and whistles.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I first did a "build" of an S, added all the features I wanted, and it ended up being more expensive than the HSE with all those features included. So decide what you want in the car and "build" those features into the different trim levels and compare prices. I knew I wanted air suspension, performance seats, HUD, the mid-level 20 inch wheels, etc...

·
Registered
35 Posts
@Voltage - if you are after comfort, take Air Suspension and smaller wheels. More rubber = more comfort. However if your are after better response from the wheels, and can trade-off some comfort, take bigger alloys. Performance Seats makes also difference. Even though, they have integrated headrest, but feedback from most users is that they are more comfortable that Sport Seats. Unfortunately there is no option for the comfortable seats like in XJ, XF or F-Pace...

·
Registered
90 Posts
As far as I can tell (in the US at least) it is possible to option up an S so that it exactly matches an HSE. The only difference that cannot be changed is the badging on the side of the car.

In the US all I-paces come with the same adaptive air suspension, so there should be no ride quality differences between models that are otherwise optioned identically (i.e. have the same wheels and curb weight)

If you look at the range of configurations graphically, I imagine it would be something like this:

Code:
Breadth of available options (from bare to fully loaded)
S:   |--------------------|
SE:        |--------------|
HSE:             |--------|

·
Registered
244 Posts
All U.S. models come with air-suspension. I have 7500+ miles on an S-trim with Corris Grey being the only option.

The standard seats are very comfortable and there is nothing "sloppy" about the ride or handling on the 18" wheels (in fact, the smaller wheels provide better range and likely better comfort, less road noise). Stereo is great.

The only thing I am missing is heated steering wheel (which is difficult to find in California anyway).

If you can live without the luxury items, you can find S trim models offered for well under $70k.

·
Super Moderator
1,149 Posts
If you can live without the luxury items, you can find S trim models offered for well under $70k.
Heck, at this point you can find fully loaded First Editions with a few thousand miles for about $60k.

If money is a concern by all means do not buy a new one off the lot

·
Registered
899 Posts
I really enjoy the powered trunk. Something you don't notice until it's gone.
The adaptive air suspension, with dynamic mode, is not standard on the S, I think. It's air but not dynamic.
I'm in California, and every winter, I use the heated steering wheel. It's a great feature. Same with heated and cooled seats.
The HUD is fantastic. Every car should have one, even if just for the speedo.
Dynamic suspension is a must.
I like the heated windshield. Then I don't need AC blowing on a cold day, and I don't have to wait if the car is frosted up.
The upgraded seats with extendable thigh support are a must. We can fit a short and a tall person in the same seat.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm 99% sure this not correct. The air suspension is standard across all trims and the configurable dynamics is optional across all trims.
I think that's what he said, "dynamic mode, is not standard on the S, I think. It's air but not dynamic"

·
Registered
244 Posts
Adjustable air suspension is standard across trim levels (Access, Normal, Off-Road heights). Adaptive Surface Response is an upgrade. Rain/Eco/Comfort/Dynamic are driving modes, and also standard across all trim levels.

Definitely jealous about the heated steering wheel. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,571 Posts
When I ordered mine I started with the base model and added the options I wanted. It was very flexible. So while I technically have an "S", it's pretty loaded. I don't know if they still allow such flexible configuring.

Dynamic mode (which is one of the standard driving modes along with Comfort (default) and Eco) is different from Adaptive Dynamics, which allows you to configure the dynamics and is optional for extra charge. Air suspension (and glass roof) are standard in US, optional in Europe.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts