Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

Roof rack standards

11K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  squishball 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I picked up an I-pacecroof rack si I could attack my kayak carrier but found that it did not fit. The carrier (just a SportRack j-hook) fit the rails on my old Escape and Lexus RX but the jag raid are thicker and wider. I recall someone mentioning in another post that the rails re essentially Thule rails. Are there more than one standard for the rails? Sorry if this is a bit on the edge of i-pace specific topics. I hoped to Ko Kayaking today but am now looking to spend more to replace a perfectly good rack because no one can agree on a standard rail size.

Thanks.

#3 ·
The roof rack on I-Pace latches into holes in the top of the door frames. It's I-Pace specific AFAIK, has a Front/Rear and Rotational orientation and locks in place. If you don't want to risk a scratch, use 2 people to put the rails on. Sort of a PITA.

#4 ·
Thanks. I picked up the rack (pretty nice how it fits the car). The cross bars were thicker and wider than the blades that were standard on the Lexus and Escape. I did not realize that there would be more than one type of crossbar size but in retrospect, those crossbars were less structural as they went into rails that go the length of the roof.

I'll pick up a Thule (I like the vertical holders) and see if it fits. Ordering through Jaguar takes days to get and there are plenty of Thule dealers around.

Glad the Jag came with 2 tow hooks. I used one in the Lexus to tie down the front of the Kayak and hooked the rear into part of the trailer hitch. The i-pace has nowhere to hook into under the car, so using the tow hitches gives 2 good spots to hook into. Found out that there is more than one standard in those! The Jag uses a reverse thread that is different than the Lexus. I hope I don't lose the little covers (I did on the Lexus) as it makes the car look like it has been towed recently.

#7 ·
Just to report on my limited experiment with the Kayak. I pulled the journey logs (pretty cool) and did some math since the journey gets broken each time you stop. We have some land (we hope to build on) about 130km from the city. We drove out there a couple of weeks ago without the Kayak, so 2 passengers+dog. Second trip was me alone with the Kayak.

Trip 1: Distance (round trip)=260km, Average speed (city traffic, then highway and country roads)=78.2km/hr (48.9mph). Energy efficiency=23.4kW/100km (37.4kW/100miles).

Trip 2: Distance (round trip)=256.1, Average speed (city traffic, then highway and country roads)=73.3km/hr (45.8mph). Energy efficiency=24.6kW/100km (39.4kW/100miles).

So the differences were : I drove alone on the 2nd trip and a bit slower on the way (100km/hr instead of 110-120), the AC may not have been going as hard (smart climate only blowing in the occupied seat), I may have had the thermostat a degree higher on trip 2, but ran the seat cooler almost all the time (on both trips). Both days were calm wind days (and since they were round trips, should even out mostly).

So for this trip at least, the Kayak did not have a huge impact (~5%), or at least not larger than the other pseudo-random settings like AC, speed etc...

#8 ·
With 1 or 2 windsurfing boards (enclosed in soft-sided board bags) at freeway speeds ranging from 60 to 75 mph, I’m getting about 2.0 miles/kWh. Without the boards, it’s about 2.5 miles/kWh. So, about a 20% reduction. These are rough estimates and not from Journey records.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.