Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone who has one give me a recommendation on the make/model roof rack that best fits the iPace? I need to carry surf/SUP board.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have the Jaguar I-Pace specific roof rack and it works great for my windsurfers. Aero design. Locks into location post holes on the underside of each door’s frame.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Does the roof rack affect driving range at all (I'm assuming it makes the car slightly less aerodynamic)? I would use the roof rack occasionally but not all that often. I'm trying to decide if it would be worth the loss of range for the few times I'd use it. I obviously understand that putting a kayak on top of the car reduces the range -- I'm wondering if the empty roof rack has much of an effect.

·
Super Moderator
2,306 Posts
Absolutely. An empty rack has huge drag. Now whether that is practically relevant if you're driving around town is another matter, but at freeway speeds you'll see 10% or more range evaporate.

·
Registered
2020 iPace SE
64 Posts
We have a set of Sea Sucker suction cups which are used on my other cars. I purchased 9 well sorted preowned on craigslist for about 50% off, and then a year later found this Thule ski box on the side of the curb because the grasping mechanism was broken. I was able to fasten the box directly to the suction cup as they will accommodate a quarter-inch (or so) bolt pattern.
I have not tested the box set up for speeds over 60 mph/100 kph yet but have traveled 80 miles an hour with three bikes on the roof

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just installed the JLR roof rack last night. The gaps between the door/screw mechanism and the rack siding itself causes a wicked whistle when driving. Anyone else experience? Have not had this particular issue with racks on prev cars.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have the OEM racks, and I haven’t noticed any whistling up to speeds of 85 mph on the highway. Does it only occur at a specific speed and then disappears once that speed is exceeded?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the OEM racks, and I haven’t noticed any whistling up to speeds of 85 mph on the highway. Does it only occur at a specific speed and then disappears once that speed is exceeded?
It's happening at 'around town' speeds. As you accelerate, the whistling increases proportional to speed. Radio can overcome but it's quite annoying. Maybe this was JLRs adaptive way to have an external pedestrian alert/warning system?

·
Registered
194 Posts
It's happening at 'around town' speeds. As you accelerate, the whistling increases proportional to speed. Radio can overcome but it's quite annoying. Maybe this was JLRs adaptive way to have an external pedestrian alert/warning system?
I don’t experience any whistling noise from my racks around town.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thanks - and assume your setup looks same as mine in photo? With designed gap?
Yes, same setup and gap. Did you install the rubber strip that runs the entire length of the top channel in each bar? If you did, then it’s odd that your racks whistle and mine don’t. You can try squeezing foam padding into the gaps, perhaps using inexpensive pipe insulation. Even if it blows off you’re I-Pace, it won’t harm anyone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes, same setup and gap. Did you install the rubber strip that runs the entire length of the top channel in each bar? If you did, then it’s odd that your racks whistle and mine don’t. You can try squeezing foam padding into the gaps, perhaps using inexpensive pipe insulation. Even if it blows off you’re I-Pace, it won’t harm anyone.
My wife often reminds me that I'm a buffoon. This post did the same :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts