Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing a similar trip reported here from another Seattleite, I figured I'd give you info about a longish day trip I took recently. My car is a 2019 I-Pace HSE with 20" tires. There were two of us in the car.

This was on August 1st. I calculated these numbers by going to the incontrol website and pulling the data for each leg. It shows the average efficiency and the number of miles, so I calculated kwh used by taking # miles/100 * average efficiency (which is shown in kwh/100mi). I took that result to be the kwh used for the leg. I did have regenerative braking on for some of the trip, but I assume that's already built into the efficiency measurement. I'll include it as a detail for each leg also.

On August 1st, the high temperature in Roslyn was 72 degrees fahrenheit. The high was 77 degrees at our house with a low of 61. I drove in comfort mode with AC on and temperatures set to 68 in the car. I did use adaptive cruise control on the highway, which was the majority of the drive. I generally had it set within 5 mph of the speed limit.

I started with the car 100% charged.

Starting in a suburb of Seattle, we ran a quick errand of 6.5 miles from our house. According to the car's gathered data, our average speed was 30 mph and we used about 2.158 kwh of electricty for it. .6 kwh of regeneration.

From there we started the big trip to Roslyn, Washington, about 70 or so miles from our house. We live close to sea level and Roslyn is at about 2200 feet (with a mountain pass at about 2300 feet on the way), so this was mostly uphill. We drove the 76.7 miles of this leg averaging 63 mph (mostly highway) and used about 32.52 kwh of electricity. At this point the SoC showed more than 50% remaining so I felt like we were in good shape for the downhill return trip. 1.2 kwh of regeneration on this leg.

We ate lunch and drove around a bit, then turned for home. We never turned off the car after leaving lunch, so this was all in one leg -- 82.5 miles. This leg was largely downhill, but our average speed on this leg was 51 mph (probably reduced a bit by our driving around town, plus we took back roads for the last 5 miles of the trip home). This used 27.06 kwh. 3.9 kwh of regeneration for this leg.

So the total trip was about 165.7 miles, and used about 61.74 kwh. The SoC when I arrived home was about 26% (and 58 miles range remaining). That gives me a calculated efficiency of 37.26 kwh/100mi for the whole trip. That would give a total range of 224 miles if we extended the number of miles driven at this efficiency. Also, it looks like the SoC is displaying based on an 84-85 kwh total capacity rather than 90 kwh.
Data for each leg is below:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Keith,
I live in Kirkland and have a very similar experience to you. My car says it can do 226 miles on a 100% charge and the various journeys I have done recently to Yakima (watching the range fall as you go over the pass, and then get 20 'extra' miles as you descend was interesting) and Anacortes seem to bare this out very accurately. Speed on the freeway is the biggest hit to range, the faster you go the shorter you go. I also have a road bike that goes on the roof on a sea sucker mount and that knocks about 7-9% off the range.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the range, given my wife has a Velar for longer range trips. I'm pretty confident I could get to Portland on a full charge at 70 mph and Vancouver (once they let us back in to Canada) is easily in range.

What I really love are the various free chargers that exist! We were up in Friday Harbor at the weekend and I 'filled up' for free... gotta love that.

·
Super Moderator
2,306 Posts
I have good friends on Vashon. I gotta move to your neck of the woods.
Oh not to mention in Seattle too, several.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Keith,
I live in Kirkland and have a very similar experience to you. My car says it can do 226 miles on a 100% charge and the various journeys I have done recently to Yakima (watching the range fall as you go over the pass, and then get 20 'extra' miles as you descend was interesting) and Anacortes seem to bare this out very accurately. Speed on the freeway is the biggest hit to range, the faster you go the shorter you go. I also have a road bike that goes on the roof on a sea sucker mount and that knocks about 7-9% off the range.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the range, given my wife has a Velar for longer range trips. I'm pretty confident I could get to Portland on a full charge at 70 mph and Vancouver (once they let us back in to Canada) is easily in range.

What I really love are the various free chargers that exist! We were up in Friday Harbor at the weekend and I 'filled up' for free... gotta love that.
We go to Whidbey Island pretty frequently which requires catching the ferry at Anacortes. That's a pretty pleasant drive too. There are a couple of public chargers on Whidbey but we haven't needed one yet -- we normally make day trips. My wife drives a Volvo XC60 that we would use if we were truly doing a cross-country trip, but we've driven the Jag down to Cannon Beach without problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts