Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Indus Silver
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got our 2nd Covid vaccine shots two weeks ago, so we’ve begun a road trip. We made two Electrify America stops the first day — flawless — one during lunch, another while shopping at an outlet mall. No time wasted. So much better than waiting around pumping gas, moving the car, visiting the restrooms of questionable quality. Facilities within walking distance of the EA chargers were of good quality. No other cars at either EA stop despite multiple 350KW chargers available. That won’t last.

I tried something new: ABRP running in real time under Apple CarPlay using real time vehicle data via Tronity. This is pretty amazing. While running, ABRP provides map guidance on the screen (based on Apple Maps) including traffic data, all the while showing the projected charge level at the next waypoint (or destination if no waypoints). The projection is based on position, weather, traffic, usage, etc. It’s pretty amazing stuff.

Many of us are accustomed to using ABRP for planning our trips. Now it can help us execute them well, and reliably.

·
Registered
MY2021 HSE
2 Posts
ABRP running in real time under Apple CarPlay using real time vehicle data via Tronity.
Hi, can you please expand on what you mean by this? What is Trionity and what do you need to do to get this data?
Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
ABRP has data on consumption of different car models, including the I-Pace. The default is incredibly pessimistic, in my experience; luckily you can change the reference consumption that is the basis. I lowered it from the default "262Wh/km at 110km/h" to 220 and get reliable results for longer distances.

ABRP though has no live data feed from the car to track changes in SoC. You normally enter the SoC (and weather conditions etc) at start and it will estimate how much you'll have at the finish (and any given moment en route).

Tronity is an EV Management platform that can read the data from the Jaguar servers - the same info available to Jaguar Remote and Wattcat etc. That info from Tronity can be read by ABRP for live updates of the car.
You can register for a free trial at tronity.io

I did not keep using it with a paid subscription. I found that the Tronity/ABRP link is not stable (often disconnects etc) and the data is in full % only, making the whole approach IMO too rudimentary (especially for short trips).

·
Registered
MY2021 HSE
2 Posts
Thanks for that.
I wouldn't be looking for a paid subscription service in any case.

I have downloaded an app called Power Cruise Control that talks to the car via a Bluetooth Link to the OBD port.
I may give that a go first (once I have a car to use it with)!

·
Registered
2020 Indus Silver
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree that using the real-time version of A Better Route Planner (ABRP) would not be useful for short trips, but I have found it helpful on a longer trip when deciding whether to make an interim fast-charge stop or to continue on to the next one. The real-time ABRP with map guidance running under CarPlay is new and I believe it will get even better as time goes along. I have found the support folks at ABRP incredibly responsive.

While doing off-line route planning, I notice that ABRP likes to make recommendations that plan for arrival at way points and destinations at battery level of 10% by default. I guess this makes sense because the battery charges more quickly, the lower the charge state. However, it can be a little nerve-wracking to enter the single digits and the real-time updates give me more confidence to minimize re-charge and travel time by planning for and utilizing lower battery levels.

·
Registered
40 Posts
We got our 2nd Covid vaccine shots two weeks ago, , so we’ve begun a road trip....

You need to reread the guidance on 'travelling during a pandemic' - You may have been lucky enough to have your two shots - The rest of us would like you to stay at home please. i.e. Stop being so freaking selfish!

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I read bradtipp's first reply, I thought it was a bit over the top and presumptuous. Then I read Zap Cat's reply and bradtipp's second reply. What is this, the Canadian forum? :) Nice to see civility, and sad that it comes as such a surprise now-a-days.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Glad it made you smile. It is a tough time for everyone and civility is underused. I certainly need to get better, but trying is the thing :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts