Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
2019 S with S21B and 16.2
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I received the email from Rivian that the R1S is delayed 7-13 months. I hated driving the BMW X5 40e (plug in hybrid) except on the highway. I am the second driver on the Jag and have to drive my BMW more than I like. Also, haven't had two car payments in a while and decided to splurge on a used one. So now I have a Launch Edition with 20” wheels and off road tires.
The Rivian is just like the reviews. Very few things not to like. The first thing worth mentioning on first impression is that it doesn’t seem as wide at the difference in width dimensions. It is wide at the wheels so in real life opening the doors and sharing a garage doesn’t seem to be much different. After a few weeks I will post the things that the Ipace is equipped with and does better that the R1T. If anyone has specific questions about the two relative to each other I can answer those.

· Registered
995 Posts
Would be interested to here your thoughts!

I have a R1S reservation and my current estimate is January-December 2024! Lol. Good thing I’m not holding my breath.

I was also concerned about the width of the Rivian. Good to hear you haven’t noticed a big difference.

· Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To put numbers to the perceived width I measured both just behind the door handles. While parking the R1T is much wider (like the specs) and more difficult to maneuver. However just behind the door handles is what matters when entering and exiting plus how far vehicles have till they ding your door. So the results are 1900mm vs 1930mm or 74 3/4” vs 76”. Picture “proof” I own an Ipace:
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Speedometer

· Registered
286 Posts
This is very interesting to me - I have an R1T reservation with planned delivery April - June next year. I am keenly interested to hear your comparison with the I-pace, which is the best car I've ever owned.

My biggest questions are:
  • How is the ride/handling especially over bumps compared to the I-pace? While I love the way the I-pace drives, the way the air suspension gets unsettled over bumps nauseates my family to the point where they will go out of their way to avoid riding in my car.
  • Related: how is the steering feel? I really like the (heavy) weight of the I-pace steering, I do not love the lighter-weighted steering of our XC90 as a counter example.
  • How is the rear seat space compared to the I-pace? My kids are teenagers now and growing fast, so the I-pace is getting a little cramped when there is more than 1 kid aboard.
  • Do you use CarPlay in the I-pace? If so, how tolerable is life without it?

· Registered
995 Posts
I was thinking recently that I’ve been seeing more Rivians around. And now that I think about it some more it might be the same grey Rivian that I’m seeing around. They are quite conspicuous.

· Registered
286 Posts
The R1T is just a @Proxy for the R1S.
I get that this was meant as a joke, but in all seriousness there do appear to be some substantial differences between the R1S and R1T that may not make experiences with the R1T a very high-fidelity analog. Car and Driver described the handling and driving feel of the R1S as noticeably different from the R1T.

· Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Keep in mind I don’t have the adjustable shocks on my Ipace but I do have air suspension for ride height adjustment. I didn’t read the article about the difference in handling feel. I will have to look that up.
  • How is the ride/handling especially over bumps compared to the I-pace?
    Answer: It seems like I can pick different ride heights with different damping rates. So in sport mode it drives very similar to the Ipace except it feels bigger and heavier. This is my default setting and I love the way it feels. I switch to all purpose mode and it definitely reduces the damping so I can go over speed bumps at high speeds and the suspension soaks it up nicely. I think I will try all purpose with low suspension when I have passengers. I would think that family would like to ride in the R1T in All Purpose mode and not Sport mode.
  • Related: how is the steering feel?
    Answer: It is weighted just about right. It is close to the Ipace but not as heavy unfortunately.
  • How is the rear seat space compared to the I-pace?
    Answer: The R1T easily has more room.
  • Do you use CarPlay in the I-pace? If so, how tolerable is life without it?
    Answer: I will miss Apple car play. I haven’t synced my phone yet, but if it is similar to the 4 years of Tesla integration I can live without it. Not as good but it does what I need.

· Registered
2020 I-PACE SE w/ 22" F-PACE Wheels
260 Posts
I have an R1S on order; due for delivery in about a year assuming Rivian can get their act together on the production front.

It's clear from the accolades that the R1T/S are absolutely brilliant vehicles for a first-time effort. What's less clear is the long-term viability of the brand. I'm of the strong belief that a number of these EV upstarts won't be here 5 years from now. Scaling production is incredibly difficult, and immense progress is needed to get to the numbers required to get to the point where they aren't burning billions a year. Tesla almost wasn't able to pull it off; with practically zero competition. Rivian has a solid cash position right now, but they are a long way off from being a viable company, and the incumbants are making quick progress on the EV front. That is the biggest concern I have from purchasing from them. Suppose you buy, and then they go defunct. That would be a massive problem.

· Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Does that picture say you hit your wife 140.3 times?
Ha ha. And my name isn’t Brett either. Like a Tesla one has to work with the manufacturer to change the account to the new owner. Until then Brett can track me. I also can’t delete their cellphone as a key access (Tesla allows the new owner to do this). Yikes!

· Registered
995 Posts
I'm of the strong belief that a number of these EV upstarts won't be here 5 years from now. Scaling production is incredibly difficult, and immense progress is needed to get to the numbers required to get to the point where they aren't burning billions a year. Tesla almost wasn't able to pull it off; with practically zero competition. Rivian has a solid cash position right now, but they are a long way off from being a viable company, and the incumbants are making quick progress on the EV front. That is the biggest concern I have from purchasing from them. Suppose you buy, and then they go defunct. That would be a massive problem.
Rivian seems to have a unique buzz and excitement about it. I honestly don’t see what advantage they have other than the brand image they are trying to create. But yeah, I don’t know how many of these are still going to be around

· Administrator
3,275 Posts
Of all of the lucids and fiskers and whatevers, Rivian is in the strongest position to remain a player long enough to survive IMO.
Their product is outstanding and while the truck faces stiff competition the SUV is in a class of its own.
If their stock price drops to hostile takeover territory, which it won't for a while, I'm sure VW or Tesla will stand at the ready.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts