Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice day to wash the car and was looking at the rims. I have the 22 inch 5056 rims. These appear to have an aerodynamic shape. All 4 are the same which means on one side of the car they are oriented one way but on the other side they are the opposite. I was wondering if there should be specific left and right sided rims that should be mirror images of each other or Jag didn't think or that. Doesn't really matter - just an observation. Only an owner would notice it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I thought the same thing (washing the car). Finally got all the salt off the carpets and swapped out the rubber winter mats for the summer carpeted ones (and vacuumed a LOT of dog fur out).

Back to the question, I have never seen side-specific rims. Wonder of that would make a difference... Enjoy the weather!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have noticed this on turbine style wheels where only one side looks to be aggressively cutting ahead like a circular saw blade.

I can't answer your question, but ask other ones instead.

If the wheels had a real aerodynamic effect instead of a cosmetic one, would the car be pulled offline at high speeds with the current wheels on the car? :unsure:

Does the LHS or RHS view of your car look the best to your eyes?

Cheers, Steve

Reactions: CurtSprings2

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have noticed this on turbine style wheels where only one side looks to be aggressively cutting ahead like a circular saw blade.

I can't answer your question, but ask other ones instead.

If the wheels had a real aerodynamic effect instead of a cosmetic one, would the car be pulled offline at high speeds with the current wheels on the car? :unsure:

Does the LHS or RHS view of your car look the best to your eyes?

Cheers, Steve
I was thinking the same about aerodynamic effect. The passenger side appears to be the 'correct' side. The appearance looks just as good to me whatever side I'm looking at.

·
Super Moderator
2,269 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd read a bit about the tesla aero caps. 10% improvement is impressive. But they're ugly. IMO.

·
Registered
785 Posts
And they are hideously ugly. Many owners remove them and go with the wheel that’s underneath. Those aren’t gorgeous either, but a whole lot better than the aero covers. Can you imagine those aero covers on the I-Pace? I can and I feel my breakfast coming up. ;)

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
465 Posts
Nice day to wash the car and was looking at the rims. I have the 22 inch 5056 rims. These appear to have an aerodynamic shape. All 4 are the same which means on one side of the car they are oriented one way but on the other side they are the opposite. I was wondering if there should be specific left and right sided rims that should be mirror images of each other or Jag didn't think or that. Doesn't really matter - just an observation. Only an owner would notice it.
Does any maufacturer think of it? I had noticed the same thing on multiple cars. Assumed it had to do with tire/wheel rotation.
[Wrote this a couple of hrs ago, forgot to post].
An interesting question nonetheless. Would specialized rims for each side have a positive effect on brake cooling or aerodynamics? I'm no engineer, but you might think this was possible. Maybe even an alternative to a turbo/supercharger?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Seen lots of wheels with a directional spoke pattern. Never seen a set with a reverse pattern for each side.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts