Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
I believe the solution is to stiffen the suspension in Dynamic mode so it doesn't give in to body roll. The only time I see any benefit in this much movement is when going off road so that should happen if offroad mode.
To @Ken point, thats why the Rubicon has much much give. Its made for offroading
Probably true, because it sure ain't made for smooth riding! ;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
I googled NF 3N09, it sure looks like an interesting area. Is it a good drivers road?

Thinking..... perhaps we could have a thread to post video links of I-Paces carving up canyon roads, for those of us on the plains to enjoy.

That road in the photo looks to have lots of cracked joints across the roadway. Are these causing any problems?

Cheers, Steve

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I googled NF 3N09, it sure looks like an interesting area. Is it a good drivers road?

Thinking..... perhaps we could have a thread to post video links of I-Paces carving up canyon roads, for those of us on the plains to enjoy.

That road in the photo looks to have lots of cracked joints across the roadway. Are these causing any problems?

Cheers, Steve
Its a fun road, but very narrow. The cracked joints are not causing problems, but ive been on tight twisty roads with compression and uneven and that was a bit scary. Whats when you almost feel like you are hopping across the road. Feels dangerous. It would be much better if in Dynamic the suspension was much stiffer. I also assume because of the Land Rover connection, the offroading capabilities are better, but this is the byproduct

Reactions: Deutsch100

·
Registered
36 Posts
There is a tunnel in Seattle with a weird grooved surface (maybe to let water run off?) You can see it in this picture:

The whole way through the tunnel it feels like the car is kind of hopping back and forth. That was with the suspension in comfort mode. I'll try it in dynamic mode next time.

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
313 Posts
I've experienced it as well, and it reminds me more generally of driving cars with solid axles instead of independent suspension (my '05 Mustang, with a solid rear axle, had the same feel, as do the Jeeps I've driven).

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
There is a tunnel in Seattle with a weird grooved surface (maybe to let water run off?) You can see it in this picture:
View attachment 4448

The whole way through the tunnel it feels like the car is kind of hopping back and forth. That was with the suspension in comfort mode. I'll try it in dynamic mode next time.
Thats exactly the scenario when it will hop. Turns and uneven roads

But ifs pushed on the Ring multiple times a day on that treacherous track,with heavy compression, carousels,uneven roads, high and low elevation, we will be fine

The I-Pace Taxi is on 20s which the driver Dale Lomas says is better than 22s

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Was racing a BMW M8 last night, took a slight turn a little hot, with the bump and uneven road. This time I actually caught air!.
Lucky the TC kicked in before I jumped into the other lane to hit a car

Here is a picture of the pristine street that I took in LA

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
724 Posts
I experienced it BIG time this morning on the 101 North in Calabasas. Doing about 65 on a patch that I know is very uneven and full of grooves....the back end of my I-Pace was shimming around (or this is the sensation/feeling) and my head felt like a bobble head and it made me almost instantly nauseous. I changed lanes, and it immediately went away!

It is just the I-Pace!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I experienced it BIG time this morning on the 101 North in Calabasas. Doing about 65 on a patch that I know is very uneven and full of grooves....the back end of my I-Pace was shimming around (or this is the sensation/feeling) and my head felt like a bobble head and it made me almost instantly nauseous. I changed lanes, and it immediately went away!

It is just the I-Pace!
Thats exactly it.
I accept that's how it drives. Just need to avoid those types of roads

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been noticing the rough ride quality of my I-Pace with the 5068 20s.
Ive lowered the tire pressure to 33psi to compensate for the ride quality, but it hasn't made much difference.

I believe I've narrowed this down to body roll especially when going over uneven roads or any bumps. It's a violent swing from left to right at slower speeds to the point that I couldn't even hold a tray of coffee in my lap.

I've showed multiple dealers and all of them say this is normal.

Again It's not a bumpy ride, sporty ride like a BMW, but the swaying from left to right that makes it uncomfortable.

I did not notice this when testing on 18s.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had the exact same "issue" in my 2019 SE since I got it in Sept 2019. Yes - at a very slow speed, at an angle, starting out over a street intersection - where a cement water trench has road asphalt on both sides - the car almost whips violently from side to side. It's very consistent, and disappointing. I've had a couple Volvo ICE SUVs and they did not behave like that. My guess is that this very heavy car (~4,800 lbs) has very stiff suspension to support it, and it just doesn't work well in this particular situation.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've experienced this a bit too on a road near my house (unfortunately one that I cannot avoid as it's the only road connecting my neighborhood). It's not pleasant but I've more or less tuned it out. Interestingly we had a 2017 GMC Acadia that had the same behavior but much worse. It was so bad my kids would not want to ride in it.

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
724 Posts
I've experienced this a bit too on a road near my house (unfortunately one that I cannot avoid as it's the only road connecting my neighborhood). It's not pleasant but I've more or less tuned it out. Interestingly we had a 2017 GMC Acadia that had the same behavior but much worse. It was so bad my kids would not want to ride in it.
I also just tune it out in my I-Pace (or try to tune it out). I just remind myself about how much the I-Pace does either perfectly or exceptionally well and how lucky I am to be able to own such a car :)

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Update on the ride issue I was having.

There was an intermittent squeaking coming from the rear passenger side. It sounded like something lose on the interior, but every time I took it in for service, the technicians could never replicate the issue.
My service advisor said I should record it so I finally did, sent the video to him, brought the car in.
We were able to replicate it on a test drive.
The issue ended up being the rear passenger strut which it took 2 weeks to get the parts.

Now it rides much better, handles corners with less body roll, less bouncy, more controllable at high speeds.
I took my car in to 3 different dealers about the ride quality and all 3 said this was normal. Luckily the issue was resolved

·
Super Moderator
2,422 Posts
Oh I'm so glad that they figured it out! I'm amazed that the car was able to mask this fairly major issue to such an extent that a discerning driver like you had to do serious detective work to see that there was an issue. Most people wouldn't notice ... is that a good thing or a bad thing? I guess it confirms the quality of the design in that the design seems to be resilient to component failure.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts