Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been noticing the rough ride quality of my I-Pace with the 5068 20s.
Ive lowered the tire pressure to 33psi to compensate for the ride quality, but it hasn't made much difference.

I believe I've narrowed this down to body roll especially when going over uneven roads or any bumps. It's a violent swing from left to right at slower speeds to the point that I couldn't even hold a tray of coffee in my lap.

I've showed multiple dealers and all of them say this is normal.

Again It's not a bumpy ride, sporty ride like a BMW, but the swaying from left to right that makes it uncomfortable.

I did not notice this when testing on 18s.

·
Registered
170 Posts
On 20s, I do notice the right-left/left-right roll on uneven roads or hitting speed bumps at an angle. Can be jarring,

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On 20s, I do notice the right-left/left-right roll on uneven roads or hitting speed bumps at an angle. Can be jarring,
I've never heard this from anyone else. I was starting to think I was imagining things.
It ruins the ride, but perfect another than that

·
Super Moderator
2,267 Posts
I'm not sure that tires can explain swaying? Maybe you started to notice a general suspension behavior that you're now focused on ... in other words, you're not imagining things but you know the Kitty so well now that you can discern pretty subtle stuff that most of us are oblivious to.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Is this a change from when you first got the car? I thought you liked the ride when the pressure was lowered.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is this a change from when you first got the car? I thought you liked the ride when the pressure was lowered.
I love the ride, but as @sciencegeek said, I'm just more attuned to the ride.
I only notice it on really uneven roads. In Orange County and where I live, the roads are perfect so I haven't noticed

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
681 Posts
Since I am now on I-Pace #2, I notice what feels like a little sway or slight shimmy on certain parts of our So. Cal freeways, and usually at the 60-70mph speeds. It is not constant and not for long periods of time, so I think this little bit of sway is just part of our cat's behaviour!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Since I am now on I-Pace #2, I notice what feels like a little sway or slight shimmy on certain parts of our So. Cal freeways, and usually at the 60-70mph speeds. It is not constant and not for long periods of time, so I think this little bit of sway is just part of our cat's behaviour!
I’ve felt it too on occasion with uneven roads, but having been in some friend’s SUVs, some lateral sway seems characteristic of that kind of vehicle with that kind of height. One friend has a Jeep Rubicon and if you want to experience severe lateral sway, take a ride in one of those.

Until the kitty, I’ve only driven sedans and so I never felt it in the cars I’ve owned. I guess it’s just a character trait of a relatively high riding vehicle.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I have always had the 20s and have never noticed anything that dramatic, even over bumps. Which suspension and on what setting?

·
Registered
779 Posts
In my case I certainly wouldn't call it 'dramatic', but it's a motion you typically don't experience in sedans. I really think it's related to ride height. Every vehicle I've ridden in that is significantly higher than a typical sedan, has some degree of lateral motion over some roads. I'm on 20s too with the typical air suspension. I generally set it to comfort or eco. Setting it to dynamic doesn't eliminate that motion.

Keep in mind that on most roads, most of the time, this motion is not experienced. It's not a big deal, it just is what it is.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have always had the 20s and have never noticed anything that dramatic, even over bumps. Which suspension and on what setting?
Air suspension, all settings. It feels like im off roading. On smooth surfaces, it feels like glass, over bumps its acceptable, but at angles, uneven roads or anytime there is left to right movement, its a violent.

In my case I certainly wouldn't call it 'dramatic', but it's a motion you typically don't experience in sedans. I really think it's related to ride height. Every vehicle I've ridden in that is significantly higher than a typical sedan, has some degree of lateral motion over some roads. I'm on 20s too with the typical air suspension. I generally set it to comfort or eco. Setting it to dynamic doesn't eliminate that motion.

Keep in mind that on most roads, most of the time, this motion is not experienced. It's not a big deal, it just is what it is.
Like you, ive never had an SUV either and have never experienced it. I had an F-Pace loaner which was really rough, but didn't have the jarring side to side body roll swings. I was in a friends X6M which again was very rough, but didn't have the body roll. For reference, BMWs always give me motion sickness because they have much stiffer suspension than a Benz (probably why there are so many on the Ring vs MB)

I suppose with a smoother ride, higher center of gravity, you get the more body roll. Stiffer ride = less body roll

agreed its not all the time. Its just a characteristic of the car

Reactions: Deutsch100

·
Registered
170 Posts
Clarification. The side-to-side jarring roll is most noticeable at low speeds on imperfect city streets (SF), especially when only a single side of the vehicle encounters or impacts uneven pavement (e.g., dip, depression, speed bump, etc.). At freeway speeds, driving over a sharp depression or expansion joint in the road will always result in my head bobbing forward and then rebounding to the head rest. I’ve noticed the movement from the very start of my time with the I-Pace. Suspension is on comfort mode, with tire pressures around 38 psi.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Clarification. The side-to-side jarring roll is most noticeable at low speeds on imperfect city streets (SF), especially when only a single side of the vehicle encounters or impacts uneven pavement (e.g., dip, depression, speed bump, etc.). At freeway speeds, driving over a sharp depression or expansion joint in the road will always result in my head bobbing forward and then rebounding to the head rest. I’ve noticed the movement from the very start of my time with the I-Pace. Suspension is on comfort mode, with tire pressures around 38 psi.
This is exactly what I'm experiencing.
How does this compare to other SUVs you have driven?

·
Registered
170 Posts
This is exactly what I'm experiencing.
How does this compare to other SUVs you have driven?
Unfortunately, the I-Pace is my first SUV, so I have nothing to compare it with. A close 2nd would be my 2001 Audi allroad (an avant), which was replaced by the I-Pace. The allroad had an air suspension and 17” wheels w performance all season tires, and it did not exhibit these ride idiosyncrasies.

·
Registered
2020 S
59 Posts
My previous vehicle was a 2014 X1 M-Sport with staggered low profile 19's. I was pretty accustomed to the firm ride on the X1 and really disliked the 18's on the I-Pace. I think the 20's ride pretty good on the I-Pace though, and I've found it to handle the speed bumps in my neighborhood like a champ when hit straight on - better than my 4WD F150, my wife's 328d wagon, or the old X1. On a few occasions I've steered the right wheels around a speed bump so only the left wheels hit, and I did notice the I-Pace felt weird and less stable than any of those vehicles in that uneven situation. I think that's the same thing you're talking about, and as a result I make sure I hit speeds bumps head on with both wheels. Outside of the speed bumps in my neighborhood I've never come across an issue in normal driving.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had a subaru outback before the iPace. the iPace floats through the air and corners like it is on rails...

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had a subaru outback before the iPace. the iPace floats through the air and corners like it is on rails...
I-Pace definitely corners on rails. I've pushed it hard on tight turns and twisty roads and it can handle it

I think what threw me off was that it can take the tight corners so well, but when it comes to uneven roads, there are extreme swings

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Gaaah, I just drove on a crappy road through town and now I notice it too! PS, what did you do!!! 🤣
Lol. Thats why I didnt want to say anything. I wanted to be sure, narrow it down to exactly what im noticing and I didnt want to ruin it for others.
Is like the heated windshield. You don't notice it till someone tells you :cautious:

I only noticed it when I was on a nasty street by the Grove in LA, picked up a tray of coffee from Starbucks and noticed the coffee was going to fly everywhere.

The I-Pace is doing something unique. Its hard to create a vehicle that is smooth, corners really well and can go off road. The E-Tron doesnt have this problem, but its a mushy ride, cant handle corners. BMW X6 is always a stiff ride IMO

I believe the solution is to stiffen the suspension in Dynamic mode so it doesn't give in to body roll. The only time I see any benefit in this much movement is when going off road so that should happen if offroad mode.
To @Ken point, thats why the Rubicon has much much give. Its made for offroading

1 - 20 of 33 Posts