Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2019 HSE
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I know this has come up in the past but I'm not seeing if there's a remedy for this issue. In the last three weeks, since going in to the local dealer and having an "IPMB update" to my car, I have had the reversing camera fail three times - see pics. I'm not sure putting the car in to the dealer again would get anywhere. They'd plug in test set, find nothing and charge one hour of labour!

Doing a bit of sleuthing, I uncovered in the XF/XE forums similar issues were being reported and the wiring harness for the reversing sensors was the culprit. Given our cars are not old enough to be effected by these types of failures yet, I checked the performance of the reversing sensors on the rear bumper. Surprised to find that although the middle four sensors worked fine, the two most outside sensors fail to sound the alarm when hand placed in close proximity - this is repeatable. And indication on the display was inconsistent - sometimes displayed and sometimes not. These sensors are colour coded. Thought is that the colour coding (layers of primer and paint) may be impacting the performance of the sensor.

Are there any volunteers to check their reversing sensors?

I will be checking some more - swapping the wiring harness between sensors to confirm the behaviour. Though this may be a red herring!

Any thought welcome.

Cheers
Tony
2019 HSE
Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper Gadget Hood
Vehicle Car Speedometer White Motor vehicle
Output device Gadget Audio equipment Font Display device

· Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
2,427 Posts
I suggest filing a complaint with Transport Canada. Canadian regulations closely follow US regulations. US FMVSS 111 require backup camera to work within 2 seconds of engaging reverse. Find out if Canada has a similar regulation. There probably is one. Once you do that, open a case with Jaguar Customer Service and let them know that you filed the complaint.

· Premium Member
2,427 Posts
I did a quick search and found Canada has CMVSS 111 that basically says follow the US regulation.

Rather than guessing at it, there should be fault code(s) in IMPB and/or the IMC. You need to get a code reader to retrieve them and then approach a proper fix resolution. Did the dealer note finding any before? If so, what were they?

The wiring that may be at fault could be the one in the hatch. Possibly a loose connection or broken wire(s) near where the harness passes between hatch and body, or a bad ground for it. It can also be a defective camera.

· Premium Member
2,427 Posts
Surprised to find that although the middle four sensors worked fine, the two most outside sensors fail to sound the alarm when hand placed in close proximity - this is repeatable. And indication on the display was inconsistent - sometimes displayed and sometimes not. These sensors are colour coded. Thought is that the colour coding (layers of primer and paint) may be impacting the performance of the sensor.
The sensors are used differently. The two most outside sensors are used to detect parking spaces for the parking aid/assist system. Along with the two outer most sensors in the front, they look for a space more than 1.2 times the length of the vehicle and wide enough to park the car.

· Registered
2019 HSE
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did a quick search and found Canada has CMVSS 111 that basically says follow the US regulation.

Rather than guessing at it, there should be fault code(s) in IMPB and/or the IMC. You need to get a code reader to retrieve them and then approach a proper fix resolution. Did the dealer note finding any before? If so, what were they?

The wiring that may be at fault could be the one in the hatch. Possibly a loose connection or broken wire(s) near where the harness passes between hatch and body, or a bad ground for it. It can also be a defective camera.
Thanks Ayepace. I do have a code reader so will carry it with me for when it happens next. I've always shut down and restarted and any dropped codes are not stored. The dealer didn't report any codes but did a IPMB update.

· Registered
2019 HSE
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Ayepace. I do have a code reader so will carry it with me for when it happens next. I've always shut down and restarted and any dropped codes are not stored. The dealer didn't report any codes but did a IPMB update.

Had the fault a couple of more times and each time, there were no faults the code reader could see!
Tony

1 - 8 of 8 Posts