Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

Republican introduces new bill to end the $7,500 federal tax credit for electric cars

6K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Mister Dave 
#1 ·
#3 ·
getting back the sort of credits we used to have will get harder with the economic playground we have right now, I wouldn't bank on it.
however, this should be considered when looking for employment and the packages they make available. I already know someone that gets kickbacks from their employer for driving an EV.

#17 ·
The true effective tariff on American cars going Europe is ~57% last I checked. They say it's 20%, but go price a Camaro or Corvette on the French or German site.
Euro cars in America are often cheaper than they are in Europe. We do have a 5% tariff though.

Reactions: phil
#9 ·
Don't you drive cars made by a company owned 5% by the Saudi government who Elon Musk was bragging about was going to buy Tesla just a few weeks ago--the same entity that just murdered a US journalist? Asking for a friend....

#11 ·
Full text is now listed. I cannot imagine the user fee will work as the tax would seem to be set to an equivalent of similar gas/diesel fueled vehicles regardless of miles driven. Not very Republican to tax high and low users the same. Nor does this account for the increased energy efficiency of an EV. Just cannot imagine this is going anywhere.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/3559/text

#14 ·
Since this is an American tax credit, why reward Toyota, Honda, VW, and Kia for delaying EV sales to keep their credits. Toyota has even said they will not make EVs until they are forced to.
Major American EV producers, Tesla and General Motors are losing their credit soon because they started earlier and offered better products and spent more on R&D. The rest just have to copy them and enjoy the market they created.

It is not in America's best interest to make import cars $7500 cheaper than domestic cars.

#15 ·
The purpose isn't to reward manufacturers. The purpose is to push more efficient electric vehicles that remove pollution from where people live and, probably, reduce overall pollution. I'm pretty sure that Toyota, Honda, and the like produce most of their American market cars in American factories, built by American workers.

#16 ·
Not the 'green' cars. Those are made in Japan. See Prius, Mirai, and Clarity for more information.

If you want to reduce air pollution a mandate for GDI and LRR tires would do more than all the EV/EREV/Hybrids on the road today by a wide margin.

But I did write the uninformed Senator John Barrasso requesting he do his homework. Electromotive propulsion will replace internal combustion just like 10-speed digital automatic transmissions replaced 2 speed non-syncro manual crash box transmissions. Electromotive propulsion is a superior way to move a ship, a train, a heavy earth mover, and a road vehicle. So they will change over, just like radials replaced bias-ply tires. Technology improves, and people will demand it.

Reactions: Guy
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.