Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
So, I just did a test run (in Comfort) 22 miles each way (uphill, and back down).

The first thing that happened was a truck threw a huge rock and now I need a new windshield (FML)!!! Big star crack right in my face! (Anybody else in America had one replaced? Are they readily obtainable?)

But, what I found is that I get a pretty consistent 1.9 miles per % of battery. So, that should get me there. ECO mode should surely do it.

I did some city driving, too and got 2.1 per % in Comfort, and 2.5 in ECO. Not sure that ECO would make as much difference on the highway where you're not accelerating much. But, stupidly, I didn't test that.

·
Registered
392 Posts
So, I just did a test run (in Comfort) 22 miles each way (uphill, and back down).

The first thing that happened was a truck threw a huge rock and now I need a new windshield (FML)!!! Big star crack right in my face! (Anybody else in America had one replaced? Are they readily obtainable?)

But, what I found is that I get a pretty consistent 1.9 miles per % of battery. So, that should get me there. ECO mode should surely do it.

I did some city driving, too and got 2.1 per % in Comfort, and 2.5 in ECO. Not sure that ECO would make as much difference on the highway where you're not accelerating much. But, stupidly, I didn't test that.
So sorry about your windshield. That really sucks. Others have had their windshields replaced and everything went fine.

But, great test and good luck and have a great drive tomorrow. Let us know how everything goes. Very interested to read about your experience.

·
Super Moderator
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
The first thing that happened was a truck threw a huge rock and now I need a new windshield (FML)!!! Big star crack right in my face!
Bah that sucks! Someone rear-ended me the other day and it's no fun, plus it's a hassle to deal with.

Cool! Fingers crossed. Do bring that trickle charger cable 0:)

·
Registered
392 Posts
The first thing that happened was a truck threw a huge rock and now I need a new windshield (FML)!!! Big star crack right in my face!
Bah that sucks! Someone rear-ended me the other day and it's no fun, plus it's a hassle to deal with.

Cool! Fingers crossed. Do bring that trickle charger cable [img= class=inlineimg]https://www.i-paceforum.com/forum/images/I-PaceForum/smilies/tango_face_angel.png[/img]
Sciencegeek, what is the latest news on your car? Everything proceeding smoothly?

·
Super Moderator
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
The car is proceeding very smoothly as usual :grin2:
[repairs are scheduled for week after next when I'm out of town]

·
Registered
402 Posts
And, my windshield repair is scheduled for Friday - and the tinting replacement for the following Monday. Got lucky there. When they installed my windshield tint, they let a loop of loose thread get under the film, and it was a permanent blotch on the glass, but low on the passenger side where it didn't bother me much. So, in exchange for ignoring it - they promised (and are honoring) a replacement film should I ever have to replace the windshield! So, no charge. :D

·
Registered
392 Posts
And, my windshield repair is scheduled for Friday - and the tinting replacement for the following Monday. Got lucky there. When they installed my windshield tint, they let a loop of loose thread get under the film, and it was a permanent blotch on the glass, but low on the passenger side where it didn't bother me much. So, in exchange for ignoring it - they promised (and are honoring) a replacement film should I ever have to replace the windshield! So, no charge. [img= class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
How did the drive go? Everything worked out as planned?

·
Registered
27 Posts
When I first bought my car I started by EV experience by immediately driving it from Vancouver British Columbia to Calgary Alberta a distance of over 1000KM that crossed several mountain passes. I charged liberally at fast chargers when I could to avoid all range anxiety and had no problem. The biggest drain was on a stretch of highway that gained over 1200 M in elevation in 36 KM. That clearly hit the battary hard but, I had plenty of juice to continue to the next charger which as another 75KM down the road.

You should be fine. The way I look at EV ownership is that while you might be able to scream down the road with 400HP you should relax when you charge and take in the sights.

let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
402 Posts
My problem is that AZ is big, and is a literal as well as figurative desert for EV charging. If you're stuck, you're gonna die. And, the number of chargers around outside of Phoenix is laughable. I can't make it to Vegas from Phoenix (yet) without stopping overnight both ways in Kingman.

·
Registered
392 Posts
My problem is that AZ is big, and is a literal as well as figurative desert for EV charging. If you're stuck, you're gonna die. And, the number of chargers around outside of Phoenix is laughable. I can't make it to Vegas from Phoenix (yet) without stopping overnight both ways in Kingman.
I completely understand, WattAJag. With time and experience with the car it's easier to relax while on a long trip. Throw in passengers, especially children, a very hostile environment, lack of infrastructure plus a car that doesn't provide accurate energy consumption information and it's easy to worry.

·
Registered
402 Posts
How did the drive go? Everything worked out as planned?
Continuing my story ... before my first trip out of town last Saturday, I did some test driving, and I agree with those who compute Highway Range as 1.9 to 2.1 miles PER Battery % (2.4 for city).

I went to a National Drive Electric Week car show in Prescott from Scottsdale - 105 miles (and up 3000 feet). I estimated that if I had 40% or more left when I got there, I should be fine to make it back downhill to a 150KW EA charger in Anthem (north of Phoenix) that was 65 miles back (40 miles from my house). Using the conservative 1.9 miles per % (since I was coming back down, I ignored the climb), I estimated (170/1.9 =) 89% used, 11% remaining when I got there. I got there with 15%. Charged for around 25 minutes (at 83KW according to the charger) and got to around 65% and went on home. The EA chargers that are starting to crop up at AZ Walmarts are great - once they get them up and working.

I would refer you to a related post of mine, where I set up a simple Google Sheets spreadsheet to compute range based on your actual driving conditions as you go. This gave me the correct estimate of 15% remaining before I was 1/3 of the way there. You can set this up for yourself on your phone. Directions are here:

https://www.i-paceforum.com/forum/377-technical-discussion/3941-how-calculate-range.html#post43555

·
Registered
402 Posts
Thank you, I am in Scottsdale and this has been very helpful.
Is there an I pace meeting in Scottsdale?
I've replied in a PM, but for public consumption:

There is a National Drive Electric Week show this Saturday (9/21) from 4-8 PM at the Pavilion's McDonald's at Talking Stick (formerly Indian Bend) and the 101 in Scottsdale. There will be examples of virtually any EV available - including my I-Pace this weekend.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've replied in a PM, but for public consumption:

There is a National Drive Electric Week show this Saturday (9/21) from 4-8 PM at the Pavilion's McDonald's at Talking Stick (formerly Indian Bend) and the 101 in Scottsdale. There will be examples of virtually any EV available - including my I-Pace this weekend.
Dang it - and I have out-of-town guests this weekend. Maybe we need to schedule an I-Pace happy hour... I did spy another IPace in Chandler this weekend and stopped to snap a quick pic!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Getting used to range impacts is a game. Here are two shots there and back with a climb of 1700 odd meters to the ski lift base station car park. 20190919_125320_1568936024166.jpg 20190919_125258_1568936142221.jpg - hope the attachments work. Summary up 35kW/100km down 16.5kW/100km - that will put a spanner in range predictions....

41 - 57 of 57 Posts