Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had to replace the battery in both key fobs this week. One gets used daily, the other has been mainly hanging by the garage door since we bought the car.
I appreciate that the car was an earlier 2019 model, but one year of use per battery seems a little excessive. As my point of reference, my last vehicle was a Ford Escape hybrid which I never had to change the fob's battery. Granted the smart keys do a lot more, but ....

·
Registered
63 Posts
One of my key fobs has been in daily use for 13 months and the other hangs in my coat closet most of the time. My I- Pace had a build date of July 2018, but I am uncertain the date the batteries were activated and it might be possible my dealer installed fresh batteries just before delivery. Of course it is also possible I am on borrowed time and the fob may fail tomorrow. Any sign of battery going bad in the fob (loss of range) or did it just quit with no indication?

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of my key fobs has been in daily use for 13 months and the other hangs in my coat closet most of the time. My I- Pace had a build date of July 2018, but I am uncertain the date the batteries were activated and it might be possible my dealer installed fresh batteries just before delivery. Of course it is also possible I am on borrowed time and the fob may fail tomorrow. Any sign of battery going bad in the fob (loss of range) or did it just quit with no indication?
1st sign I saw was opening the car by the button on the handles did not work. The open button on the fob worked for a day or so, then nothing.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Reminds me of a Sunday when I was snoozing after working all night. I was awakened by smoke detector low battery chirps. I get up to find which one. I thought I figured it out but then a chirp from another room happened. Stood there and listened for the next chirp. It came from a different room. Went there and waited to verify. Next chirp from a different room.

4 of 7 smoke detectors in the house all had batteries go low that afternoon. Batteries can be installed on the same day from the same batch, but that doesn't mean they will all die at the same time even when in identical devices.

I've replaced batteries in my 16 Range Rover fobs. Not at the same time. They're under 4 years of usage. My 96 Disco fobs have had batteries replaced twice in 24 years and not at the same time.

·
Registered
486 Posts
For everybody reading this post, but not reading the owner's manual:
The I-pace should give a "Smart Key battery low" message in the instrument cluster when it is getting time to change it. Use a CR2032 battery.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I have/had keys that will last a few years on a battery to as little as six months, it may depend on so many factors or even the quality of the design of the key fob.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The I-pace should give a "Smart Key battery low" message in the instrument cluster when it is getting time to change it. Use a CR2032 battery.
Did not see this with the key I regularly use. The other fob is often either hung by the garage door or in my wife's purse and was dead one morning she went to use it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
When mine went bad, I saw no such alert (but maybe I missed it). The early indication was a 'key not found' alert, although I had entered with that key I'm sure, and I did the placing it under the steering wheel column trick to allow the car to start.

I didn't give it much thought, but probably the next time (not sure), it would not unlock the car by fob press or allow manual entry with the thumb button.

I had just read about the 12v battery problems here, and thought I had one go bad. Eventually I figured out to try the fob I don't use, and it worked, ruling out the 12v issue. When I took the bad one in for a battery, I had them do the second one on general principles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts