Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my brakes set to high so most of the time I only use one pedal driving. It occurred to me that I don't know if the brake lights come on when I take my
foot off of the gas pedal.

Can someone answer this for me.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,361 Posts
Brake lights come on when deceleration is above a certain value; not just when you lift your foot off completely.
Recently I drove at night on a country road with center stripe reflectors. There was no other traffic so I could experiment. Look in the rear view mirror when it's dark and you can see the reflection of the brake lights when they come on.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
905 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
144 Posts
I did the same experiment on a country road recently too, and I could see the reflection of the brake lights on the road signs behind me. I also drive in the high regen mode, which I really like.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have my brakes set to high so most of the time I only use one pedal driving. It occurred to me that I don't know if the brake lights come on when I take my

Thanks
Your brakes lights do come on. When the car slows down to 3mph to a stop your brake lights come off so hold the brake pedal at light or stop sign. I know this cause I have a bike rack on my ipace and at night I can see the reflection on my mountain bike.

·
Registered
2019 S
12 Posts
Your brakes lights do come on. When the car slows down to 3mph to a stop your brake lights come off so hold the brake pedal at light or stop sign. I know this cause I have a bike rack on my ipace and at night I can see the reflection on my mountain bike.
Off topic - but what bike rack are you using? Just curious as I’m considering that on mine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Wish they still sold that version! Only one I find that they sell anymore is the roof-mounted ones (unless I’m totally missing it)
It's very difficult to get the rear mounted cycle carrier. It's not offered in US anymore. There is a whole thread about it: Rear Mounted Cycle Carrier?

Personally I've tried to get it for 6 months and just yesterday I received yet another email that they cannot get it and will send me a refund. They said no one wanted to do dealer-to-dealer trade with them, but I got the list of dealers that supposedly still have it. Here it is if you want to give it a shot. I gave up and decided to wait for my Rivian R1T to carry bikes around:

JAGUAR SOUTHWEST HOUSTON
HOUSTON
Texas

PARETTI IMPORTS INC
METAIRIE
Louisiana

Jaguar Palm Beach
West Palm Beach
Florida

Jaguar Rancho Mirage
Rancho Mirage
California

·
Registered
27 Posts

Thanks
NO!!! My car does not! I had my husband drive behind me while I was driving to the dealer for a service call. He said they NEVER came on unless I had actually pressed the brake pedal (confirmed over the phone). Got to the dealer and questioned them. They said Nope. At least 5 years away from that. I am going to have to do this experiment all over. For the last year or so, I seriously thought the lights came on when at a certain speed of slowing down. Now, I have to tap the brakes for the drivers behind me to show them I am stopping. Which is totally a pain since I drive one pedal most of the time.

·
Premium Member
2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
144 Posts
It sounds like you've got an issue. My brake lights definitely come on when I lift off the accelerator.

·
Registered
14 Posts
NO!!! My car does not! I had my husband drive behind me while I was driving to the dealer for a service call. He said they NEVER came on unless I had actually pressed the brake pedal (confirmed over the phone). Got to the dealer and questioned them. They said Nope. At least 5 years away from that. I am going to have to do this experiment all over. For the last year or so, I seriously thought the lights came on when at a certain speed of slowing down. Now, I have to tap the brakes for the drivers behind me to show them I am stopping. Which is totally a pain since I drive one pedal most of the time.
Mine come on as soon as I let off the gas pedal. I see it every night on reflection of cars behind me. Below 5mpg they go off and I need to use brake pedal.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think I saw an article claiming that at some point all new cars will come with inertial brake sensor. So the lights will come on whenever the vehicle is slowing down more rapidly than certain threshold, no matter which controls you're operating. Would probably be even better to make it proportional (brighter for more intense braking).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts