Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2020 I-Pace HSE couple of months ago and love driving the car. Compared to all my other past vehicles, there is nothing
like it.

Only thing I am disappointed about, (and previously wrote about it) is the amount of road noise the car creates.

I went back to my dealer and drove another identical car and of course it generated the same road noise.

Is there any noise dampening kits or insulation kits that I could consider buying to help solve this problem?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
830 Posts
Ideas: Different tires. Different sized wheels and tires. Drive on different roads. What tires and wheels do you have?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
20"" Goodyear Eagle all season tires.Dealer lowered the tire pressure but that did nothing. So far turning the radio volume up is my best solution !

·
Registered
692 Posts
I've used Dynomat in my noisier cars. I remove the door cards and apply the mat there and under the interior and trunk carpets. It adds a little weight but is worth it. There are professional shops that will install the mats for you.

·
Registered
549 Posts
The main issue with EVs is that lack of engine noise "magnifies" all other noise. My pet peeve is the "roar" of the AC fans when idling (silently rolling) through a parking lot or in the garage.
Bridgestone has produced a 'supposedly' quieter tire for EVs, the Turanza QuietTrack. I found this article about them: Bridgestone’s Turanza QuietTrack Tire Silences Electric Cars
I think they're on the right track (pun intended), better tread design for noise reduction is the next step in quieter EVs (along with quieter AC fans).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My dynamic sound design is set to low. I live in South Florida, very hot this year and my battery cooling fans run extremely loud. Fortunately within the car itself they sound pretty quiet. Standing outside is another story, you can hear the fans from quite a distance.

The real disturbing noise is at speed over 45 and up. I know there is nothing wrong with the car since the other one I drove at the dealer was as loud, just the way the car is build. I will consider the dynomat and check around to see who down here installs it. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
779 Posts
The main issue with EVs is that lack of engine noise "magnifies" all other noise. My pet peeve is the "roar" of the AC fans when idling (silently rolling) through a parking lot or in the garage.
Bridgestone has produced a 'supposedly' quieter tire for EVs, the Turanza QuietTrack. I found this article about them: Bridgestone’s Turanza QuietTrack Tire Silences Electric Cars
I think they're on the right track (pun intended), better tread design for noise reduction is the next step in quieter EVs (along with quieter AC fans).
Are these made in the sizes our kitty takes? I'd love to have a bit less road noise, though compared to my MS, the I-Pace is much better.

Edit: Just checked the Bridgestone website and they do not fit our cars. :(

·
Registered
779 Posts
My dynamic sound design is set to low. I live in South Florida, very hot this year and my battery cooling fans run extremely loud. Fortunately within the car itself they sound pretty quiet. Standing outside is another story, you can hear the fans from quite a distance.

The real disturbing noise is at speed over 45 and up. I know there is nothing wrong with the car since the other one I drove at the dealer was as loud, just the way the car is build. I will consider the dynomat and check around to see who down here installs it. Thanks for the info.
It does make you appreciate how good the sound insulation is, other than road noise. I never realized how loud that fan is until I stood outside! Most would never think you're driving an electric car.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Compared to our Subaru and Scion, it's wonderfully quiet. Doesn't seem any louder than, say, the 550i I used to have. Ear plugs?

·
Registered
110 Posts
The reason the AC fan is so loud is because it works even with the car sitting still. In a ICE car, the car has to be moving for the AC to get cold. The I-Pace has a heat pump like the one in your home so if you are sitting still, it blows a lot of air across the coils. Once you start driving it shuts off. One of my favorite features about the car. Same thing will happen in the winter. That heat pump will heat your car with no motor generating electricity. I worry about what will happen when the temp outside gets below Zero, but I live in south Alabama and that hasn't happened in a LONG time.

·
Registered
2020 I-PACE SE w/ 22" F-PACE Wheels
81 Posts
I found our SE with the stock 20" Goodyear Eagle's to be impressively quiet. That said, the sounds that you hear are "different" than an internal combustion car because there is no engine noise, so for example noise around the mirrors is more pronounced.

Noise is also highly contingent on the pavement type when at higher speeds.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
830 Posts
The reason the AC fan is so loud is because it works even with the car sitting still. In a ICE car, the car has to be moving for the AC to get cold. ...
Completely false statement about ICE vehicles. I have 1 that has 2 electric fans pushing air through condenser and radiator + 1 belt driven fan pulling the air through. I have 1 that has 1 electric fan and 1 belt driven fan pulling air through. I have 1 with 2 electric fans of equal size pulling air through. I have 1 with 2 electric fans of unequal sizes pulling air through. The I-PACE has 1 fan. All of them have working AC without the vehicles moving.

LOUD fan noise is the the one with the 3 fans and it is a really hot day.

·
Registered
107 Posts
:unsure:Strange, You have driven another car and it makes the same noise and someone else says the Goodyear all season tires are quiet. My Car with 22" wheels at 70 mph is quieter than all my other cars except my Ford Focus Electric which was a little quieter than the Jag. Have you left your home city and driven on some other roads. Nothing else makes any sense unless both cars have a default problem in their aerodynamics.

·
Registered
2020 S
59 Posts
I've also got the 20" Goodyears and think the car is pretty quiet. You could download a free sound meter app for your phone, and have someone record the decibels while you're driving with the radio off. That would allow you to collect data at different speeds and different roads.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
To densjag: Any chance you could record the road noise you are experiencing and let us hear it. Might help if you could show us the road surface on which you are travelling. I have 20" Goodyears and think they are quite quiet. I believe Tire Rack may rate these tires as some what quiet also.

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar I-Pace
33 Posts
I've also got the 20" Goodyears and think the car is pretty quiet. You could download a free sound meter app for your phone, and have someone record the decibels while you're driving with the radio off. That would allow you to collect data at different speeds and different roads.
I tried that today. At 60mph I’m getting 60-61db, and at 80mph I’m getting 66-67db. Then I did some research online and read that the top cars with the lowest amount of road noise is like a BMW 7 series or Mercedes S-class, where at 60mph it’s 59-60db. So our I-Pace is right there with the best! (I kinda figured so previously measured with my super accurate sound measurer - ears :D)

·
Registered
692 Posts
To give a little context, every 3 db increase is a doubling of sound intensity. So the car is 4X louder at 80 MPH than at 60 but is still excellent. The average passenger car has an interior noise level of 70 db at 60 MPH. 60 db is the equivalent of the human voice holding a normal conversation.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts