Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As discussed in another thread, I recently had to have my IPace serviced. Basically the car stopped taking a charge the night before and with less than 30 miles of range left, I decided to drive it straight to the JLR dealer.

Within half an hour of arriving at the dealer, I was on my way in an E-Pace loaner and my car was on the service schedule. It took them three days (plus a weekend) to have my I-Pace ready for me, good as new. But it was a complete non-issue for me, apart from the half hour dropping it off and half hour picking it up. I didn't have to sit and wait for a mobile technician. The issue was hardware, it was not something that could have been repaired via satellite tap-in to the vehicle. And having a loaner right away kept the inconvenience of the repair to a total minimum.

I know two people who didn't buy a Tesla over the past two years due to concerns about lack of service in the event of a problem. Having a local dealer option with loaner and a service experience that is basically the same as any ICE vehicle is a tremendous comfort compared to what I understand the service experience with Telsa is.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Honestly service experience is a hit and miss with Tesla depending on how many service centers are within your radius and each center. I have two near me (near DC), one was pretty painful. The second one has been better, but they are both kind of overwhelmed.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I know two people who didn't buy a Tesla over the past two years due to concerns about lack of service in the event of a problem. Having a local dealer option with loaner and a service experience that is basically the same as any ICE vehicle is a tremendous comfort compared to what I understand the service experience with Telsa is.
Kinda hard for Tesla to locate a service center near you since your state bans Tesla from operating service centers in South Carolina, one of four states that do this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_US_dealership_disputes#South_Carolina_(also_bans_service_centers)

·
Registered
392 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
“Existing franchise dealers have a fundamental conflict of interest between selling gasoline cars, which constitute the vast majority of their business, and selling the new technology of electric cars,” CEO Elon Musk writes on Tesla’s site. “It is impossible for them to explain the advantages of going electric without simultaneously undermining their traditional business.”

Tesla also points out that its prices are fixed, and its salespeople are paid primarily on salary, not commission. “Customers will never be rushed into a purchase, haggle over the price of the car, wonder if they could get a better deal across town, or puzzle over confusing add-on products, like GAP insurance or rust-proofing.”
Yahoo finance lives up to it's "Yahoo" name once again. If you're buying a car with a government incentive, get the gap insurance. If you're leasing AFAIK it's required. No one rustproofs cars anymore. As for how sales people are paid, there's plenty of feedback on that from current and former employees.

Since you asked.....

alloveralbany.com said:
Direct automaker-to-consumer sales are now prohibited in almost every state by franchise laws requiring that new cars be sold only by licensed, independently owned dealerships. The specific prohibitions in these laws vary from state to state, but most are based on two underlying principles. The first principle is that allowing automakers to sell cars directly to customers will endanger the businesses of automobile franchisees, which presumably do not have the economic resources to compete with manufacturers on vehicle pricing. The second principle is that consumers need a knowledgeable, independent sales intermediary who is capable of guiding individuals through the buying process and can later be called on for support in the event of difficulties with the vehicle.

The promotion of these principles is evident in various state franchise regulations. New York State, for example, has its Franchised Motor Vehicle Dealer Act (see, NY Vehicle and Traffic Law, Title 4, Article 17-A), which prohibits any automaker from possessing ownership in a dealership offering its vehicles.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Thanks for the post, Mister Dave. It's good information. Also, I've never purchased gap insurance after leasing at least 5 or 6 cars both in Colorado and Rhode Island. Finance office always offers but has never said it's a requirement. You've given me something else to research ? on a sleepless night.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Thanks for the post, Mister Dave. It's good information. Also, I've never purchased gap insurance after leasing at least 5 or 6 cars both in Colorado and Rhode Island. Finance office always offers but has never said it's a requirement. You've given me something else to research ? on a sleepless night.
You'll pay for it one way or another. The issue is simple - government 'incentives' hit the depreciation of the good. Lose your job with payments to make, or wreck the car and you'll find out if the insurance was/would have been a good choice. The leasing company knows how to cover its backside. The question for us is if we do.

·
Registered
392 Posts
You'll pay for it one way or another. The issue is simple - government 'incentives' hit the depreciation of the good. Lose your job with payments to make, or wreck the car and you'll find out if the insurance was/would have been a good choice. The leasing company knows how to cover its backside. The question for us is if we do.
You're right about paying one way or another. I try to pay upfront with a healthy down payment and have good insurance (USAA) who've been awesome. Fortunately I haven't experienced either a job loss or totalled vehicle. Insurance has covered hail damage that I believe other insurance companies would have totalled.

·
Registered
521 Posts
You're right about paying one way or another. I try to pay upfront with a healthy down payment and have good insurance (USAA) who've been awesome. Fortunately I haven't experienced either a job loss or totalled vehicle. Insurance has covered hail damage that I believe other insurance companies would have totalled.
Some folks self-insure. That's the least expensive route but it takes resources some don't have (or they wouldn't be financing cars).

The third type of hit comes when you sell it or trade it in. The longer you keep it the lower the hit. 'Incentive' and normal depreciation start to come into parity after a while.

The fourth type of hit is improved technology. If/when we see solid-state batteries entering production we're all screwed. :surprise:

I hear USAA is great. Wish I could get some of that but I'm glad our service members get it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
The fourth type of hit is improved technology. If/when we see solid-state batteries entering production we're all screwed.
Absolutely! I wonder how much it would cost to replace the battery pack. If better batteries are produced perhaps I will wait until the car is out of warranty and go through the process of changing batteries. I'm hoping Jaguar will engineer more range and faster charging.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Kinda hard for Tesla to locate a service center near you since your state bans Tesla from operating service centers in South Carolina, one of four states that do this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_US_dealership_disputes#South_Carolina_(also_bans_service_centers)
Tesla spends a lot of man-hours writing Wikipedia content, and cleaning it.

No US state bans TSLA from their borders. They ban automakers from running a non-competitive business model in their state. Tesla's decision not to set up a competitive business structure for the servicing of their vehicles is not New Mexico's fault, or any other state who has strict consumer protection laws.

Tesla also fights against releasing service manuals, special tools, spare parts, aftermarket parts, and even driving their cars in parking lots at 60 mph (The Infamous Tesla AutoX Ban). Nor do they allow damaged vehicles to be repaired by anyone but Tesla and their sub-contractors. You cannot fix a Tesla in your garage without the possibly of incurring the Apple Syndrome. Closed Architecture.
'If we find out you worked on your car, we will stop it from recharging at DCFC's'.

They are not saints out to protect the car buying community. They just write articles that say they are. "Despite Tesla owners' pleas to change the law, they still currently depend on out-of-state centers..." sounds like a soap opera writer did their Wiki for them.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Absolutely! I wonder how much it would cost to replace the battery pack. If better batteries are produced perhaps I will wait until the car is out of warranty and go through the process of changing batteries.
I might consider that, though there will probably be other hardware to replace. On my EV the only thing I'm seeing issues with is the battery. Not big problems, but it has me looking at other cars with more motivation, like the I-Pace.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I might consider that, though there will probably be other hardware to replace. On my EV the only thing I'm seeing issues with is the battery. Not big problems, but it has me looking at other cars with more motivation, like the I-Pace.
What do you drive and what are you considering? Just curious. ? Of course I'd recommend the I-PACE but I'm biased.

·
Registered
392 Posts
2014 Volt now. Coming up is unknown. She wants a PHEV, which makes things complicated. Obviously an I-Pace is one I'M considering. [img= class=inlineimg]https://www.i-paceforum.com/forum/images/I-PaceForum/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/img]
The new Volt with 18kW battery is very nice from the reviews. The Premium model has electrical seats and a host of safety features. Your wife may like an upgrade. But don't tell her about it.... ?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Tesla spends a lot of man-hours writing Wikipedia content, and cleaning it.

No US state bans TSLA from their borders. They ban automakers from running a non-competitive business model in their state. Tesla's decision not to set up a competitive business structure for the servicing of their vehicles is not New Mexico's fault, or any other state who has strict consumer protection laws.

Tesla also fights against releasing service manuals, special tools, spare parts, aftermarket parts, and even driving their cars in parking lots at 60 mph (The Infamous Tesla AutoX Ban). Nor do they allow damaged vehicles to be repaired by anyone but Tesla and their sub-contractors. You cannot fix a Tesla in your garage without the possibly of incurring the Apple Syndrome. Closed Architecture.
'If we find out you worked on your car, we will stop it from recharging at DCFC's'.

They are not saints out to protect the car buying community. They just write articles that say they are. "Despite Tesla owners' pleas to change the law, they still currently depend on out-of-state centers..." sounds like a soap opera writer did their Wiki for them.
Oh bull crap. Tesla never had franchised dealerships so they are not disenfranchising anyone by pursuing a different business model that offers wholly owned sales and service facilities. But the NADA and its state affiliates are worried that if Tesla proves the no-dealer model to be better then the other automakers will demand to bypass the dealers and sell online as well.

Anyone who wants to service their own cars is free to not buy a Tesla. BTW, what mechanism do you have to self-service the iPace? Does Jaguar provide the non-OTA firmware updates to owners or non-Jaguar dealer service locations?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
A lot of states are essentially using bs arguments to force Tesla into dealership model, just like Tesla “pretends” its trying to save the world and not just take the consumers money. But I do believe I can get parts and shop manuals for a lot of cars and Tesla at one point was threatening people who were doing repairs and stopped when the PR turned negative.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts