Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
101 - 116 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Me again! Thanks everyone for the tips re Rimmer Bros. Mine arrived Friday. Drop bar bikes mount pretty easily. Mountain bikes... it took me maybe an hour of fiddling to get two full-sus bikes with boost spacing mounted - but now that I've figured out the best mounting strategy, I expect they'll take a few minutes to mount assuming I follow all the steps I documented. Not nearly as quick as a modern hitch rack, but quick enough. And now I can carry up to 5 bikes on the I-Pace!

Question: anyone know if there's a way to permanently shut off the reverse sensors? Mine go bananas with bikes on the rack.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Tri-
Do you have any notes or pictures from the hitch install? Any trimming of the bumper needed?
On my Chevy Volt, I had a hitch receiver that hid behind the license plate:
The license plate was mounted a spring loaded hinged frame that would swing down to install the trailer ball or bike rack. When not in use, the receiver was completely hidden. I used a large door knob bit to make a hole behind the license plate and a Dremel to clean up the opening,
I think the I Pace is too low volume for anyone to design/build/sell something similar, so I'm considering a custom fabrication or the E Pace hitch.
TIA for any thoughts or insight.
The only external cutting involves a hole in the air straightener under the back bumper for the hitch to come out of. Internal cutting involved modifying the original internal bumper crash structure to hang the structure over the trailer hitch and was time consuming, took numerus saws, drill bits and a grinder motor. In addition a hole is required to route the wiring.

See the following shortcut to #13 & #18
(16) Towing Hitch not available for North America | Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum (i-paceforum.com)

Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,325 Posts
Question: anyone know if there's a way to permanently shut off the reverse sensors? Mine go bananas with bikes on the rack.
Do you mean the rear traffic alerting? Use the instrument panel menu (thumb wheel stuff) to deactivate in the "Driver Assistance" features.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You can also just turn the volume all the way down as it’s happening. But that probably mutes all directions.
Sounds like the car needs a bike hitch mode.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Do you mean the rear traffic alerting? Use the instrument panel menu (thumb wheel stuff) to deactivate in the "Driver Assistance" features.
Nope, just the rear parking sensors, the things that beep at you when you're getting close to an object while in reverse. Couldn't find anything under the thumb wheel menus, just the rear traffic alerting that you mentioned. Good idea though!

·
Registered
61 Posts
You can also just turn the volume all the way down as it’s happening. But that probably mutes all directions.
Sounds like the car needs a bike hitch mode.
Yep, tried that. Unfortunately the volume doesn't go down very far (but you sure can make it loud!). This morning the setting to disable the sensors was available, so I used that and it worked fine. Unfortunately, usually that button isn't present for me while reversing.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I guess you did not plug the wiring/harness from the bike carrier into the car ? because once you do this, the car knows that you have "something" behind (bike carrier, ...) and deactivate back sensor, and desactivate LKA feature.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Correct. I looked through the documentation.. quite an ordeal to connect. Not required in the U.S., so I removed the lights and harness.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It came with the lights and the harness. I believe you have to order the prep kit separately, but I'm not positive about that. The instructions for connecting the electrical involve cutting holes in the car and removing the bumper, among other things. Once I read that far, I decided to remove the lights and harness and read no further! I removed the bike carrier today - took about 10 minutes I think, but I didn't time it.

·
Super Moderator
2,692 Posts
It came with the lights and the harness. I believe you have to order the prep kit separately, but I'm not positive about that. The instructions for connecting the electrical involve cutting holes in the car and removing the bumper, among other things. Once I read that far, I decided to remove the lights and harness and read no further! I removed the bike carrier today - took about 10 minutes I think, but I didn't time it.
Similar here. I don't have the carrier on the car when it's just my bike ... which I stick in the trunk with front wheel off. Takes me seconds to do, it's in fact easier than putting the bike on the rack. That said, on the rare occasions where I have two bikes, I just put the rack on and put up with the friggin' beeps :geek:

·
Registered
2 Posts
The prep kit has the connection from a plug in the rear of the car near the air compressor to the harness on the bike rack. Many pages of instructions to install about 3 ft of cable. To install per instructions involves cutting access in the rear plaster covers, removing the bumper, drilling a few of holes and routing the cable with grommets through the holes and securing the external socket. I have ordered the kit and will try to see if it can be run out the trunk hatch without permanently mounting it.
JAGUAR Accessory Fitting Instructions

·
Registered
203 Posts
I installed trailer wiring with my receiver hitch. I used standard trailer hitch wiring. I think you can just remove the bottom panel that is ahead of the air straightener and have enough room to get a hole into the air compressor box. With the bottom panel removed you can probably overreach the top of the air straightener to hook up what you want to. Brown, yellow and green wires are there and work. I spliced into these 3 wires with aftermarket trailer hitch wiring. I have found that my trailer's LED lights glow dimly, when the car is off, with the wiring hooked up to the trailer.

Hood Bumper Automotive design Automotive exterior Sleeve Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
161 Posts
For those on here that don't want to modify their car to fit the trailer or bike carrier wiring under the rear air splitter, there is a temporary wiring method using flat ribbon cable. This cable conforms with the lift-back rubber seal, just hang it out when required and stash it under the false floor when not in use.

Flat Cable

JLR Range Rovers wired for towing trailers can detect and monitor the trailer (incandescent) lamps, the car then disables the rear parking sensors and prevents the annoying alarms. On my RR my transceiver antenna on the front bumper sometimes alarms a front sensor, pressing the centre screen button for about 10seconds temporarily disables this alarm for several starts.

On trailers with LED lamps the trailer is not detected and the monitoring continuously strobes the LEDs, universal load resistors are available for most modern vehicles with this feature / annoyance.

Connecting switched load resistors to the existing I-Pace socket in the trunk should trick the car into disabling the rear sensors when the bike carrier detection causes alarms.

Range Rovers also display and flash additional (trailer) turn signal lamps on the LCD dash display when a trailer is connected.

Someone with the I-Pace bike carrier and wired lamps could confirm if this same function is enabled on the I-Pace.

Trailer Load Resistors

Cheers, Steve

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,325 Posts
Yes, the I-pace has the trailer wiring connected detection. There is a note that the lamp check normally done when the vehicle electrical system is started may not be performed if trailer wiring is connected.

101 - 116 of 116 Posts