Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
All, here’s help for the USA market on this:

My guess regarding the rack not being available in USA and being described as “incompatible” is the fact that it has a license plate mount that will not fit USA license plates!

Good news: USA market does not require a license plate (most states won’t even give you an extra). Also does not require the lights. This rule is for light trucks and SUV’s only. Thank you to Jaguar for classifying this “Kombi” as an SUV in the states. Also, I saw someone mention DOT approval. Again, not needed.

PURCHASE:
I bought mine from Rimmer Bros. in the UK. Shipping was surprisingly cheap to USA and arrived in TWO days.

As soon as you get it, pull that lighting kit and license plate bracket off. That makes the rack just like any other rack in USA to the casual observer. It also makes the rack much easier to install and remove on the car.

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
PURCHASE:
I bought mine from Rimmer Bros. in the UK. Shipping was surprisingly cheap to USA and arrived in TWO days.

As soon as you get it, pull that lighting kit and license plate bracket off. That makes the rack just like any other rack in USA to the casual observer. It also makes the rack much easier to install and remove on the car.
Wow, great find! Does that work on full suspension mountain bikes, and can you verify that it's a tow hook mount (instead of trailer hitch)? Any special install requirements or does it just screw on easily?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow, great find! Does that work on full suspension mountain bikes, and can you verify that it's a tow hook mount (instead of trailer hitch)? Any special install requirements or does it just screw on easily?
Tow hook installation. Part number T4K1178 for left hand drive cars. Works fabulous. Incredibly stable. No rocking and playing with shim systems like a hitch rack. Every car should offer this.

Agree with another poster that you might want a little lube on the threads. However it goes on easily if you install the right side first as directed, because the left side has a little adjustability.

Full suspension MTB’s should be no problem. The tire slots adjust for longer/ shorter wheelbase, but not separately. A huge bike with a tiny bike might be less ideal. The tire seats are 3” wide but cupped and shallow so a wider tire would snuggle right in. The wheel straps would easily buckle up to a 5 inch diameter, so pretty sure you could even fit a 4” fat tire bike.

One possible fit issue is 2 bikes are 7.5 inches from each other on-center. This is plenty of distance even for boost axle bikes. But it means you’ll need to fiddle with pedal positions and hope handlebars are beyond the saddle of the other bike while you install the second bike. It might help to install both bikes with the derailleurs facing out/away from the other bike.

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
Nice, thanks!

One possible fit issue is 2 bikes are 7.5 inches from each other on-center. This is plenty of distance even for boost axle bikes. But it means you’ll need to fiddle with pedal positions and hope handlebars are beyond the saddle of the other bike while you install the second bike. It might help to install both bikes with the derailleurs facing out/away from the other bike.
Ah yes that's tight ... but then again, it's just par for the course to have to fiddle with seat vs handlebar issues on multiple bikes on a rack ... makes me want to go into story mode about how I've almost lost bikes a couple of times, ugh ... :geek:

·
Registered
430 Posts
I've used mine a couple of time this summer. Great stability over a basic trailer hitch. I use a old plastic credit card to pop the two plastic cap in the bumper, and with some grease and counter clockwise torque, very easy to fix by one man.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I ordered one from Rimmer Bros. 3 weeks ago, but no luck. They now say it's out of stock and their supplier has no idea when they might receive more.

However... T4K1179 is still available. It's the right-hand-drive (RHD) version of T4K1178. I can't think of a reason it should be materially different from the LHD version. Can anyone think of a reason it wouldn't fit? Different tow hooks maybe?

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
I can't think of a reason it wouldn't work .. maybe the brake light and signal wiring comes in on the other side?
I just looked at mine, which has the light fixtures and plate mount removed. It looks symmetrical. However, don't take my word for it 🍺

·
Registered
195 Posts
When I installed my E-Pace trailer hitch on my I-Pace, I referenced the I-Pace document for the UK right hand drive installation. My plug for the wiring hookup was on the left side, just like the UK document said it would be. I just measured my US (trailer hitch mount) Saris double bike rack and both racks stick out the same amount on the sides even though they are reversed for each bike. Length max in most states in the US is 4' behind the taillights on your vehicle, before a red taillight or reflector or red flag is required. Don't know about the UK.

·
Registered
52 Posts
When I installed my E-Pace trailer hitch on my I-Pace, I referenced the I-Pace document for the UK right hand drive installation. My plug for the wiring hookup was on the left side, just like the UK document said it would be. I just measured my US (trailer hitch mount) Saris double bike rack and both racks stick out the same amount on the sides even though they are reversed for each bike. Length max in most states in the US is 4' behind the taillights on your vehicle, before a red taillight or reflector or red flag is required. Don't know about the UK.
Thanks! So are you running your Saris hitch mount rack off the Jaguar tow-eye-mounted towing receiver? Any concerns or problems re total weight? My wife's Thule hitch rack isn't light, and our mountain bikes are 30+ lbs. The reason I ask is I'm considering having something similar crafted for me. I found a guy who does this sort of thing for Porsche Cayennes and VW Touaregs: Kroads

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had the chance to see one of the Jaguar racks the other day, and chat with the owner about it. He's been very pleased with it. He had just traveled 100 miles and gained 4000' in elevation with 1 bike on the rack, and when he stopped to charge, found his battery to be at 50%. He believed that because the bikes mount so close to the car, that drag caused by the bikes is negligible. I, on the other hand, had just traveled 120 miles and also gained 4000' in elevation with two fork-mounted mountain bikes on the roof and a third in the car, plus another person and some gear. My car was nearly out of battery when I arrived. It's not quite apples to apples - I'd traveled a little further, and was carrying more weight - but still I thought it was telling just how much drag the roof-mounted bikes cause and the effect on mileage.

This morning I took a gamble and ordered the RHD version of the bike carrier from Rimmer Bros. Hopefully it fits!!

81 - 95 of 95 Posts