Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading out on a long-distance road trip tomorrow. I've always charged at home with a Level 2 charger, no problems :) . Here comes the Dumb Question... The cap over the DC ports doesn't want to come off. Do you just yank it or is there a trick to removing it? The manual wasn't much help, it just says to remove it.

Thanks in Advance! (It's OK to laugh now!!)

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
It is just a rubber cap, so just pull it straight away from the DC receptacle. It has a tether strap made of rubber so maybe the first time do it slowly and gently so as not to break the strap.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
PS : Since this is your first time using a DC charger remember the recommended procedure to disconnect the L3 charger handle is to push the unlock on your key fob 3 times before pulling handle away from the car.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Two words...Super Frustrating

Trip out, great! The Jag is fantastic to drive. I arrived at the charger location and a car was blocking the charger with no one in sight...only one available... So, did a quick search and found a fast charger 20 minutes away, nice! Got to the location and Charger #1 refused to charge..stuck on Initialization. Tried all kinds of tricks to get it working and none worked. Tried Charger #2 and it worked. But... it was a 24kw unit and charging nice and slow. ~45minutes later and a $7.00 charge (for 23 miles added), we left. We had a great Dinner, and set off for home. Warning, not enough power to make it home.. OK, there is a charging station on the PA Turnpike 24 miles from home. We can make that if we are careful. At this point, the stress in the car is going up rapidly. We get to the charger (Blink Network) and it refuses to accept my payment. Nice.... Call the help number an they activate the charger. But... The two Tesla compatible units are the high-speed ones and this one is a simple Level 2 charger. I was down to ~13% left and a GOM that was a little over the distance to get home. 45 minutes of waiting and I got back enough miles to make it home comfortably.

Plugged into my charger with 10% left. And it's still charging :)

Good Things, I was dumb, the plug cap comes off easy, don't know why it was stuck before.
Bad Things, The charging infrastructure stinks and the stress of not knowing if the charger is open, or working is real.
Super Bad Things, Why on earth do you put a Level 2 charger at a Turnpike Rest Stop. We were very lucky that there wasn't someone using it. At that speed, you need at least an hour of charge to get any miles...

But.... we made it!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are there apps which show the operational status of the chargers in the US, or recent charging logs?
Some do, but we were in route and it is hard to check status. This is more of an issue of not knowing if or when the person was coming back. We didn't want to wait for an hour and find out that they simply left the car there for a 3hr charge.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I constantly rely on PlugShare for recent check inn and status (not a guarantee but still information) And ABRP to plan my routes and divert as needed. Both use check in and live station status, but can't tell you if something is blocked or recently failed obviously.

Always plot a couple of close by alternatives...

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
797 Posts

Trip out, great! The Jag is fantastic to drive. I arrived at the charger location and a car was blocking the charger with no one in sight...only one available... So, did a quick search and found a fast charger 20 minutes away, nice! Got to the location and Charger #1 refused to charge..stuck on Initialization. Tried all kinds of tricks to get it working and none worked. Tried Charger #2 and it worked. But... it was a 24kw unit and charging nice and slow. ~45minutes later and a $7.00 charge (for 23 miles added), we left. We had a great Dinner, and set off for home. Warning, not enough power to make it home.. OK, there is a charging station on the PA Turnpike 24 miles from home. We can make that if we are careful. At this point, the stress in the car is going up rapidly. We get to the charger (Blink Network) and it refuses to accept my payment. Nice.... Call the help number an they activate the charger. But... The two Tesla compatible units are the high-speed ones and this one is a simple Level 2 charger. I was down to ~13% left and a GOM that was a little over the distance to get home. 45 minutes of waiting and I got back enough miles to make it home comfortably.

Good Things, I was dumb, the plug cap comes off easy, don't know why it was stuck before.
Bad Things, The charging infrastructure stinks and the stress of not knowing if the charger is open, or working is real.
Super Bad Things, Why on earth do you put a Level 2 charger at a Turnpike Rest Stop. We were very lucky that there wasn't someone using it. At that speed, you need at least an hour of charge to get any miles...

But.... we made it!
Frustrating. From your description I assume you were referring to the Blnk chargers at either Bowmansville or the next one closer to Philadelphia. The PA turnpike is not EV friendly, unlike the NY ThruWay or even I-95.
I had a similar issue returning from Hershey one evening. That said, the EA sites in the Philadelphia and Harrisburg areas have never lets us down if needed.
One word of advice. I find using the phone apps for the charging networks to be more reliable than card based payment options. Agreed, some locations have poor cell signal, but the apps seem to connect more smoothly than even the network cards.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Some high power chargers, at least here in Germany, work more reliably with the I-Pace if you first plug-in the charging cable and then use the RFID or App to start the charging.

·
Registered
2020 I-Pase HSE in Fuji White
77 Posts

But.... we made it!
Sorry to hear your trip was so frustrating but not surprising. I've read many similar stories. Tesla was brilliant in putting so much money into their charging stations. Unfortunately, in the US our infrastructure for chargers need some serious work. We bought our car for local trips and hopefully the next version of the I-pace will have 400 plus miles of range and a infrastructure to make long drives doable. We are still in the early stages of EV cars.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have a pretty fair collection of Chargepoint charging station on my trips. All of their stations can be pulled up online and you can see if they are available. You can watch your car charge online as you chow down in a restaurant. I have had no problems with the Chargepoint stations. You do need to read the station instructions, as per sciencegeek, as the 240vac stations differ in operation from the DC chargers. Haven't used anything by other companies recently.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
797 Posts
..... We bought our car for local trips and hopefully the next version of the I-pace will have 400 plus miles of range and a infrastructure to make long drives doable. We are still in the early stages of EV cars.
Without being critical in a personal sense, it is frustrating to hear this "criticism" rolled out over and over again - especially by an EV owner. This is the standard complaint rolled out by those defending ICE technology.
The average driver (probably 90% of drivers) do not need 400mile range - so why engineer for a non-necessary target. But just as importantly - would you buy a sports car and complain that you cannot transport half a soccer team in the car?

Many on this forum, and many more on the UK version have done numerous "long trips" with no issues. It just takes a different mindset to driving an ICE. If going a long distance and getting there as fast as possible with no planning is the bottomline then an affordable EV is not for you.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I spend a few hours today doing research on the "local" Charging Network. The problem is that there is a lot of Level 2 chargers, but they are useless if you are doing a long trip. The DC chargers vary in output, and most are on the slow side (less than 50kw). It seems that Electrify America is a very good option, but after installing their app, a lot of their chargers are out of service...

This last trip was from West Chester PA, to Toms River NJ. PA Turnpike, to NJ Turnpike, to 195 to 571..

The 195 leg is chargerless. Nothing on the NJ Turnpike, and the simple (single) L2 at the King of Prussia Rest Stop.

I've learned a lot, and now know that I need to map out stations on a route w/backups. My wife was pretty scared last night when we were driving with our fingers crossed that we would reach the charger before the car died. I really don't want to do that again.

The charger must be >=50kw (150kw is perfect) and there must be multiples of them.

On a side topic rant... I drove past the Jag dealer in Willow Grove and noticed, they don't have a Charger :-(. It would be nice if Jag dealers had High speed chargers at their dealerships. Worse case, if I was towed there, I could have charged :)

Sorry for venting, it was a very stressful evening

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
797 Posts
I spend a few hours today doing research on the "local" Charging Network. The problem is that there is a lot of Level 2 chargers, but they are useless if you are doing a long trip. The DC chargers vary in output, and most are on the slow side (less than 50kw). It seems that Electrify America is a very good option, but after installing their app, a lot of their chargers are out of service...

This last trip was from West Chester PA, to Toms River NJ. PA Turnpike, to NJ Turnpike, to 195 to 571..

The 195 leg is chargerless. Nothing on the NJ Turnpike, and the simple (single) L2 at the King of Prussia Rest Stop.

I've learned a lot, and now know that I need to map out stations on a route w/backups. My wife was pretty scared last night when we were driving with our fingers crossed that we would reach the charger before the car died. I really don't want to do that again.

The charger must be >=50kw (150kw is perfect) and there must be multiples of them.

On a side topic rant... I drove past the Jag dealer in Willow Grove and noticed, they don't have a Charger :-(. It would be nice if Jag dealers had High speed chargers at their dealerships. Worse case, if I was towed there, I could have charged :)

Sorry for venting, it was a very stressful evening
Understood. With experience you will be comfortable running the GoM down to 10-20miles and know your limitation.

For future reference, Plymouth Meeting & King of Prussia EA's, both easily accessed from the turnpike. Never used the one at PM, but KoP works fine.
While a tad slower, the 50kW EVGo chargers are great for a few extra miles to get home - NJ has plenty of them.
Last time I did a Quakertown/Montreal run I completed the whole trip w/o charging faster than 50kW - the trick is to know where the chargers are.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts