Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Agreed, around 30-40 degrees, my range drops very quickly - especially when I run into a store and come back out. I've lost 20-30 miles just from letting the car sit for 20 minutes.

·
Super Moderator
1,158 Posts
Agreed, around 30-40 degrees, my range drops very quickly - especially when I run into a store and come back out. I've lost 20-30 miles just from letting the car sit for 20 minutes.
Are you leaving it ‘running’? I’m curious if you discovered a way to leave it on and retain the ability to lock the car?

·
Registered
418 Posts
I'm not leaving it running. That's just the loss when the battery starts to cool off vs being in my relatively warm garage.

·
Super Moderator
1,158 Posts
Ok, so you’re not actually ‘losing’ anything, rather the car is adjusting the estimate based on ambient temps. I misunderstood you to mean you were losing energy

·
Registered
418 Posts
Correct, I'm saying the GoM drops that much. However, what's the difference? I have yet to really gain anything back from the GoM.

·
Super Moderator
1,158 Posts
Correct, I'm saying the GoM drops that much. However, what's the difference? I have yet to really gain anything back from the GoM.
Well the difference is if you were losing energy while you were in the store, I assumed it meant you had cracked the code on how to ‘safely’ leave the car running and unattended, which would be great news for me!

Estimated distance to empty would increase if you were traveling from a cold place to a warm place, just as it decreases going from the warm place to the cold place. Every morning my car greets me with an optimistic estimate of 168 miles to empty, but within a few minutes of pulling out of the garage, it adjusts to a more plausible 115 or so, depending on the actual temp.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Can't you just use the pre-conditioning feature to run the heater while you're in a store?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I have made multiple runs in 32-40 F range in the past few days of ownership, but always starting with car plugged in. Which according to manual will keep battery at optimal temperature if on shore power. I used actual miles and battery (which is pretty close to range indicator) and I can get 190-200 miles with normal (not eco style careful) driving. This is a good range, but obviously coming from a 60 KWHr Bolt which could do almost same to a 90 KWHr that matches its a bit low for size.

But I don’t care, I like the fact that the decisions in drive and comfort in I Pace were for a true luxury AWD with nice ride/drive. I’ve had all manner of “efficient” cars with skinny low resistance tires with better efficiency (around 3.3 miles/KWHr vs the 2.4 I get on the I Pace), but last night driving in pouring rain I loved the wide tires and the rock steady drive of the car. It feels so much more substantial, stable, elegant and comfortable than the efficient cars. I appreciate that they didn’t go the same route.

So I just say get the car if that’s what you want. If you want max range/efficiency look to Bolt or Leaf or even i3. But don’t expect anything like the I Pace in experience.

·
Super Moderator
1,158 Posts
Can't you just use the pre-conditioning feature to run the heater while you're in a store?
That’s a good way to keep the car warm, but if your car is like mine, it usually takes 2–3 tries to get it to start on the app and fiddling with the in car preconditioning is also an extra step. Not to mention it doesn’t leave the radio om for the passengers still in the car.

A lot of cars don’t make it easy to do that, including the Odyssey, but my BMW didn’t care if the car was running or not, I could lock/unlock with the key fob without extra steps.

With the I Pace, I have to leave it in N or D because if you leave it in P, the car shuts off. But in N or D, you can’t open the tailgate except with the dash button, even if the car is unlocked.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Makes sense. Yes, I liked being able to lock my dog in the car with it running if I had to run into the store quickly when I had my BMW.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts