Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,158 Posts
Based on your ordeal, I decided to cancel my order. I’m in Quebec, as cold as Minnesota. If the car is only good for 130-140 miles in that weather, may as well get a Leaf, Ioniq or Bolt.

Good luck! Hopefully some software update will improve things for you.

Fairly sure that it's good for >170mi. even in super cold weather, but I could be wrong. I have to wonder what "mode" Dantrium was driving his new I-Pace in when it showed just 14% left with 130mi. on the odometer? I would say he probably should've gone into Eco Mode or that emergency Energy Saver mode when at 25% knowing that he has another 80+ mi. to go (for 190mi. total). Maybe the colder weather really does significantly decrease efficiency? I'm not sure...for me, it's rare for South Florida to get below the 50's-60's F while most of the time, it's well into the upper 70's-90's during the day and not much less at night so cold weather isn't a factor here. [img= class=inlineimg]https://www.i-paceforum.com/forum/images/I-PaceForum/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/img]
I’ll provide a complete run down later, but after nearly 23 hours on the road I still have 65 miles to go. Driving like an old lady, in eco mode for 100% of the trip. Reality is I haven’t come close 150 miles of range. Outside temps low 20’s F; yes preconditioned, parked inside the showroom until I drove it away and the Interstate was less than 1/2 mile from their front door. ECO mode, dry roads, only me in the car (170 pounds). Cruise set at 70mph for the first stretch, then 60mph, with no effect on range. I leave the DC charger at >90% and estimated range of close to 170 and then watch the range lose about an extra 5 miles for every 10 driven, arriving uncomfortably close to 0 after 125 miles covered...

·
Super Moderator
1,158 Posts
Sounds like a brave and bold thing to do for your 1st drive in a new EV.
The combination of miles and low temperatures are taxing for anyone with range anxiety.
You did not say the initial state of charge before beginning your trip.
We are all keeping an eye on everyone's mileage as more I-Paces hit the roads.
Hope to here the details of the rest of your journey home.
Left the dealer with 30 miles on the odometer, 99% charge with a super optimistic estimated range of 267miles. I got half that.

By the way, the DC charger I had planned to use at 190 miles turned out to be a Tesla charger...not for me!

Brave and bold? Not so much, more like ignorant and foolish ?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Honestly, I don't get why somebody would buy a pure electric in a frozen land. It's really not the use case. A plug-in hybrid would hit that mark perfectly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Honestly, I don't get why somebody would buy a pure electric in a frozen land. It's really not the use case. A plug-in hybrid would hit that mark perfectly.
Perhaps you should ask over 500 people in Norway who have ordered or taken delivery of I Pace’s. I don’t see anything on the uk forum.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Left the dealer with 30 miles on the odometer, 99% charge with a super optimistic estimated range of 267miles. I got half that.

By the way, the DC charger I had planned to use at 190 miles turned out to be a Tesla charger...not for me!

Brave and bold? Not so much, more like ignorant and foolish ?
Well that has me really worried as I live in northern NV, and regularly go over the Sierras to SF.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I’ll provide a complete run down later, but after nearly 23 hours on the road I still have 65 miles to go. Driving like an old lady, in eco mode for 100% of the trip. Reality is I haven’t come close 150 miles of range. Outside temps low 20’s F; yes preconditioned, parked inside the showroom until I drove it away and the Interstate was less than 1/2 mile from their front door. ECO mode, dry roads, only me in the car (170 pounds). Cruise set at 70mph for the first stretch, then 60mph, with no effect on range. I leave the DC charger at >90% and estimated range of close to 170 and then watch the range lose about an extra 5 miles for every 10 driven, arriving uncomfortably close to 0 after 125 miles covered...

If I were you and I just purchased a $80k-$90k Jaguar I-Pace EV thinking I were going to safely get 200mi.+ on a full charge (EPA rated at 234mi) BUT drove off the lot getting only 150mi. range, cruising 70mph in ECO mode the entire time, I would either 1) complain immediately and insist there is something wrong with your vehicle...software update perhaps? and/or 2) return the vehicle within the first few days to get a FULL REFUND and wait for another luxury EV (with better range) to come out next year. Sorry, but 150mi range is just unacceptable for this type of vehicle at this cost, no matter the weather. :frown2:

Reactions: mmtahoe and Guy

·
Super Moderator
1,158 Posts
If I were you and I just purchased a $80k-$90k Jaguar I-Pace EV thinking I were going to safely get 200mi.+ on a full charge (EPA rated at 234mi) BUT drove off the lot getting only 150mi. range, cruising 70mph in ECO mode the entire time, I would either 1) complain immediately and insist there is something wrong with your vehicle...software update perhaps? and/or 2) return the vehicle within the first few days to get a FULL REFUND and wait for another luxury EV (with better range) to come out next year. Sorry, but 150mi range is just unacceptable for this type of vehicle at this cost, no matter the weather. [img= class=inlineimg]https://www.i-paceforum.com/forum/images/I-PaceForum/smilies/tango_face_sad.png[/img][/QUOTE]

Yes, it is very disappointing, especially considering the range was actually less than 150...I do think/hope there is something ‘wrong’ and I will give them a call in the morning, but no, I won’t be demanding they take it back.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Here are a few things to tryout and consider. Cold definitely impacts both the battery capacity and the dense air creates much more drag. It is completely normal for a car that gets 4 miles/KWHr to drop to 2.5 miles/KWHr in cold conditions. Try these things:

1) Overinfalte your tires 3-5 psi, this does make a lot of difference. Did you check the tires before you left the dealer?

2) As much as you can don’t use heating. It actually can impact your range by 10-20%. I don’t know about iPace but if the car doesn’t have a hybrid heater it can be quite significant in cold temparatures. Use seat heat and less heat, or better yet heat the car before you leave while plugged in (preconditioning for departure). Some cars will even pre-heat the battery from shore power if you set a departure time a few hours ahead or time, increasing range.

3) Air drag goes up significantly from 50 mph up. You may find going 55 vs 60 vs 70 can have a large impact on your range, specially in the cold. This is the same in ICE cars you just fill up more often and don’t about it.

Driving style has a huge impact on range/efficiency. If this is your first EV you may be having fun accelerating and decelerating. This will kill your range. If you drive more gently in acceleration and avoid unnecessary deceleration (its only 30-40% efficient in recapture) your range will improve.

I honestly can get a range difference in the Tesla, the Bolt and other EVs of 30% by driving style alone. None of these are a deal breaker, it is just something you will learn and adopt as you need. Usually if an EV is rated at 240 count on around a good 170-180 in the coldest conditions.

·
Super Moderator
1,158 Posts
Here are a few things to tryout and consider. Cold definitely impacts both the battery capacity and the dense air creates much more drag. It is completely normal for a car that gets 4 miles/KWHr to drop to 2.5 miles/KWHr in cold conditions. Try these things:

1) Overinfalte your tires 3-5 psi, this does make a lot of difference. Did you check the tires before you left the dealer?

2) As much as you can don’t use heating. It actually can impact your range by 10-20%. I don’t know about iPace but if the car doesn’t have a hybrid heater it can be quite significant in cold temparatures. Use seat heat and less heat, or better yet heat the car before you leave while plugged in (preconditioning for departure). Some cars will even pre-heat the battery from shore power if you set a departure time a few hours ahead or time, increasing range.

3) Air drag goes up significantly from 50 mph up. You may find going 55 vs 60 vs 70 can have a large impact on your range, specially in the cold. This is the same in ICE cars you just fill up more often and don’t about it.

Driving style has a huge impact on range/efficiency. If this is your first EV you may be having fun accelerating and decelerating. This will kill your range. If you drive more gently in acceleration and avoid unnecessary deceleration (its only 30-40% efficient in recapture) your range will improve.

I honestly can get a range difference in the Tesla, the Bolt and other EVs of 30% by driving style alone. None of these are a deal breaker, it is just something you will learn and adopt as you need. Usually if an EV is rated at 240 count on around a good 170-180 in the coldest conditions.
1. Tires, no I did not check the tire pressure.

2. Heating was set to auto, with the temp set at 67 and heat seat on 1. Car was on the showroom floor until I drove it off. I usd preconditioning every time I charged it before I unplugged.

3. For the first ~130 miles cruise was set at 70. For almost all of the rest of the trip, ~400 miles, I drove at 60. I didn’t see any improvement, but that’s what I did anyway and it was painful...I NEVER drive that slow on a road with a speed limit of 70-75, but I did with the I-Pace.
Driving style was to slowly accelerate to highway speed and set the cruise. 99.9% of the trip was Interstate, so there was very, very limited accelerations/decelerations and always like an old lady and 100% in ECO mode. I had zero fun and have yet to experience the fun stuff of which everyone speaks.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Sounds like you pretty much did what you could. Definitely check tire pressure but maybe it’s just how much the I Pace loses in cold. My Bolt does better than other cars I’ve had but I believe they actively use power to warm battery to get range in cold, not sure when it kicks in. Today I was managing around 170 miles when usually I can get 200. I only get close to rated 240 in 80+ weather. So I Pace seems to take a worse hit than Bolt if your car is typical.

Sorry about your experience so far.

·
Super Moderator
1,158 Posts
Sounds like you pretty much did what you could. Definitely check tire pressure but maybe it’s just how much the I Pace loses in cold. My Bolt does better than other cars I’ve had but I believe they actively use power to warm battery to get range in cold, not sure when it kicks in. Today I was managing around 170 miles when usually I can get 200. I only get close to rated 240 in 80+ weather. So I Pace seems to take a worse hit than Bolt if your car is typical.

Sorry about your experience so far.
I really hope it is a fixable issue, however a guy on the FB page, who seems to know a lot about EVs basically said that is what I should expect...I sure hope not!

I would like to hear from other cold weather drivers. Given there are ~500 running around Norway, I would think there is more experience out there.

BTW- thanks for the tips

·
Registered
180 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,917 Posts
Folks let's all have a reality check here please.

If you actually end up buying an iPace, the details of range had never been a real consideration. It's not about range ..

Those of us who don't have an absolutely horrendous commute simply do not require optimal range, and I take performance and comfort and design over a bit of range any day.

90% of my miles will be driven such that I charge overnight at home
5% of my miles will be driven with a charge stop
5% of my miles will be driven with my gas-guzzling Touareg on road trips where you need to get from A to B quick, given current infrastructure.

In five years at the very latest this will be 90% 10% and no more Touareg. With the iPace I'm getting.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
That's easy. The Norwegian government pays enormous sums of taxpayer money to subsidize electric cars. So it doesn't matter that it makes no sense. People do what you pay them to do.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
That's easy. The Norwegian government pays enormous sums of taxpayer money to subsidize electric cars. So it doesn't matter that it makes no sense. People do what you pay them to do.
It makes perfect sense for those who don’t need more range daily than an electric car offers. This is a but if a red herring. If you drive 200 miles daily round trip with no charger at work an electric car is not for you. Vast majority of commutes are under the range of current crop of EVs even in winter.

And even if someone buys an electric car as their ONLY car on rare occasions you need range you can simply rent a car.

I am betting besides subsidies Norwegians may actually want electric cars. Money isn’t the only consideration for people. If it was we would all be driving Kia Souls.

·
Super Moderator
1,158 Posts
Folks let's all have a reality check here please.

If you actually end up buying an iPace, the details of range had never been a real consideration. It's not about range ..

Those of us who don't have an absolutely horrendous commute simply do not require optimal range, and I take performance and comfort and design over a bit of range any day.

90% of my miles will be driven such that I charge overnight at home
5% of my miles will be driven with a charge stop
5% of my miles will be driven with my gas-guzzling Touareg on road trips where you need to get from A to B quick, given current infrastructure.

In five years at the very latest this will be 90% 10% and no more Touareg. With the iPace I'm getting.
The no **** reality for me is that had I thought the I-Pace range would be less than 180, I would not have bought it. I bought it because I believed, based on all the reports of folks actually driving them in Europe, etc. that I could realistically expect to get at least 200 miles out of the car. So, yes, for some of us it is 'about the range'. Not completely about the range, but still a major factor.

The range I have received so far is nothing short of atrocious and no where near what I would have expected worst case scenario. To think I am paying nearly a 50% range penalty because the temps are in the 20s is hard to swallow - what will it be when it actually gets cold? I could understand a 10-20% drop in the winter, not 40-50% or more.

I only drive more than 100 miles in a day a few times a month, so I won't be impacted by the bad range more than a few times a month. However that is a few times a month more than I expected to be impacted by it. I honestly would not have given the car a second look had I been told I could reasonably expect to get no more than 150 miles out of a charge.

But it is too late for that. I now own the car and I will make the best of it...unless someone wants to buy a Photon Red FE with ~600 miles on it for $1000 off MSRP?:grin2:

21 - 40 of 72 Posts