Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been hearing rattling (you hear everything when you have an electric car). I thought it might be the seat belt rubbing against the door or against the plastic clip. That wasnt it. I thought it might be the cargo cover but I removed it and still heard it. I then thought maybe the headrests so I repositioned it. Still rattling. I folded the seats down but the rattling is still there, but a little less pronounced. I cant figure out there the **** rattling is coming from.
I had someone sit in the back seat and the rattling mostly disappeared. It seems like when someone is in the backseat its a lot less pronounced. Has anyone else encountered rattling and figure out where its coming from?

The dealer thought it was seat belt then cargo cover but its neither.

·
Registered
427 Posts
If it is not the seat belts and the sound seems to lessen with passengers in the back seat, if you haven't checked under the rear storage where the 120v charge cable is located. You might try pulling out the stuff under the rear storage as sciencegeek suggests and see if the rattle goes away. Any other rattle after you've removed loose stuff, wrapped the seatbelts, and made sure seatbacks are secure is likely a fit and finish problem. You may need to dealer to take a ride and then go through and tighten things up.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Did you check in the "laptop storage space" under the rear seats to see if something slipped in there and is rattling around when you drive?

·
Registered
995 Posts
Did you check in the "laptop storage space" under the rear seats to see if something slipped in there and is rattling around when you drive?
Wait, there's a laptop storage space under the rear seats???

·
Registered
207 Posts
Wait, there's a laptop storage space under the rear seats???
The I-Pace manual describes it as "Storage bins and umbrella holder under the rear seats", but I saw an early ad with someone slipping a laptop in there and it stuck with me :wink2:

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
818 Posts
For the rear seat belts, look at the stop of the outer seats. Next to the release buttons you'll see a small hook. Ensure that the belts are looped into hooks. This will position the clip part away from the harder trim pieces between seat and the doors, and the doors themselves. I found that to be a source of "rattle" when the belts are not "in the loop" about the need to be quiet.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For the rear seat belts, look at the stop of the outer seats. Next to the release buttons you'll see a small hook. Ensure that the belts are looped into hooks. This will position the clip part away from the harder trim pieces between seat and the doors, and the doors themselves. I found that to be a source of "rattle" when the belts are not "in the loop" about the need to be quiet.
I looked at the laptop hooks and I would say the seatbelt barely stays within the hook. I would say its more of a guide but there definitely is no plastic against plastic...just the fabric of the seatbelt near the hook

·
Registered
521 Posts
So, someone sits on the seat and the sound changes. That's kind of a huge clue. Did you pull the seat base out and look around? Maybe something's loose or broken.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'm having the same problem..

·
Registered
125 Posts
The rear seat base just pops up, pull up from the front of the seat and it will click loose, if I recall, there are four anchors that you need to pop loose. This will allow you to look under the seat base.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The rear seat base just pops up, pull up from the front of the seat and it will click loose, if I recall, there are four anchors that you need to pop loose. This will allow you to look under the seat base.
I didn't know the rear seat base could be popped up. I'll check. I'm going to try another test and have the seat belts latched into the seat belt latch. When the seats are down the rattling is less pronouned. When someone is sitting in the back its less pronounced. I even had someone sitting in the trunk to figure out where the rattling is coming from and he has no clue.

I know it's not:

• Cargo Clips in trunk
  • Cargo Cover
  • Nothing in the laptop/underseat rear storage
I havent completely ruled out headrests, seat belts, rear seats (base or back). Could it be the dome lighting? Handles above the door?

And what the heck are those two plastic pieces behind the rear seats on the roof? I have no clue what those do.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I've been meaning to ask that too. What ARE those plastic things in the headliner at the rear??

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I think I narrowed down the rattling. It's either the right rear seat or seat belt. It's not the headrests as I completely removed them and the rattling is still there. The reason why I think its the right rear is it sounds like its coming from that direction (yes, I know sounds can throw themselves). I folded both seats down. Rattling gone. Folded rear left seat up and rattling still gone. Folded right rear seat up rattling is back. Folded seat down rattling is gone. Now it could be seatbelt because when the seat is folded down it stretches the seat belt. Now just gotta figure out where in the seat or seatbelt its coming from.
This also makes sense cause when the technician sat in the back he sat in the right rear and the sound was gone.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Put seats back up and rattling is back. Definitely the seat or belt. So when the seat is folded down the seatbelt is fully stretched which...if its the seatbelt...may explain why it stopped. Next step will be latching the seatbelt and see what happens

1 - 20 of 26 Posts