Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the tropics where is hot and humid all year long.

Anyone has any idea how much will the range really be with the a/c on all the time? Right now I have a BMW 530e plugin hybrid and on a full charge the battery indicator shows 18 miles with the a/c off and drop immediately to 12miles when the a/c is turn on.

That is a drop of 33% for the a/c. If the i-pace is the same, the effective actual range will be in the 150 miles with the a/c on. Anyone with some experience on how the Teslas or the Bolt behave under this circumstance. Thanks.

·
Registered
309 Posts
No doubt it varies depending on the severity of the weather, but I don't remember losing more than 5% of range at most in the Bolt, for A/C in Southern California.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
How much range an A/C or heater uses is tied into your speed, duty cycle, passengers, and driving habits.

The best you can figure, is what the peak draw is on the A/C unit. Probably less than 5kW. This can be tested on cars with a kW meter. Sit idle with A/C off and record the value. Turn A/C on max and record the highest value. Subtract.

Example: Say idle is 1 kW, then AC Max is 6 kW, your AC uses 5kW (but probably less).

So every hour the compressor runs, it takes 5 kWh of your battery.

So if you are driving at 75 mph solo and the compressor is running 50% of the time, it's wildly different than 25 mph with 4 people in the car running 100% of the time.

33wh/mile vs 200wh/mile

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all. I should be ok with range. Based on your input I will lose between 10-15% range which still 200+ miles. At the most I commute 75miles/day and average 3 hours actual driving time/day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts