Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2020 ipace collected in March. I have a friend that got his car around the same time. My range shows as around 225 miles fully charged. My friends car shows around 264 miles fully charged. Our software seems to be at the same levels. When my car is fully charged it still has regen braking down a hill whereas my friends car doesn’t until some battery is depleted. Makes me wonder if my car doesn’t have the update to increase range and thus unable to use the full capacity of the battery which could answer the difference in regen when fully charged. Anybody have any thoughts? I don’t believe I drive my car harder than my mate. All suggestions appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2,286 Posts
When your car is fully charged, do you have the little indicator/limiter marker in the dashboard power meter? I can't take a pic right now but others may still have that lying around, I remember someone posted a pic a while back.

The indicator gives a visual cue as to whether the car allows full or partial regen when the battery is highly charged. If you look at your circular dashboard power display, clockwise is use of power and counterclockwise is regen. If you go to approximately seven o'clock there's a tiny tickmark on the inside of the circle. That moves up when your battery is fully charged to about 11 o'clock, and while the battery depletes it gradually moves to 10 o'clock until it occupies the original 7 o'clock position at about 90% SoC.

Where's your limiter tick mark when the battery is fully charged? Your buddies is probably at 11 o'clock.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply. I just went and looked. Sorry I can't see how to attach a picture in this forum. Where the horizontal green bars show the battery as full, above that is the POWER | CHARGE display. In the POWER area there is a thin green line, as you say, at about 11 o'clock. Havent spoken to my friend yet re what his shows. Is this what I need to do next or does that reveal anything? Many thanks for your help. Gary.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
484 Posts
This is the picture that @sciencegeek was refering to. Seems from your description, this is what you are seeing.
Regarding adding pictures: Under the area for text are a couple of rows of icons. Top row penultimate on right (next to the camera icon) is a picture icon. If you are on your phone just drag a picture from your gallery into that box.
I find I do not have full regen until I have driven ~10miles (half my commute following a valley down the river). Are you and your friend both on high regen?
Do you have access to the charging info for your car? The "smart" L2 chargers show the energy delivered while charging. Typically a full charge would use ~95kWh (there are energy losses associated with heat loss etc).
The range differences between the two of you is typical of what is commonly seen and corresponds to driving style (normally).

·
Registered
4 Posts
When you turn ON your car usually the AC its ON or OFF ? Because this will have a big difference in total miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is the picture that @sciencegeek was refering to. Seems from your description, this is what you are seeing.
Regarding adding pictures: Under the area for text are a couple of rows of icons. Top row penultimate on right (next to the camera icon) is a picture icon. If you are on your phone just drag a picture from your gallery into that box.
I find I do not have full regen until I have driven ~10miles (half my commute following a valley down the river). Are you and your friend both on high regen?
Do you have access to the charging info for your car? The "smart" L2 chargers show the energy delivered while charging. Typically a full charge would use ~95kWh (there are energy losses associated with heat loss etc).
The range differences between the two of you is typical of what is commonly seen and corresponds to driving style (normally). View attachment 4720
Hi Qtown. Thank you for your info. I have high regen set and so does my friend. Here is my picture which as you can see seems more near 11 o’clock than yours. I dont have aircon on and I don’t drive aggressively at all. as you can see my range is so much lower than yours. I have a suspicion that my low range is related to the battery not being charged to the limit And thus I get regen working immediately I leave my house (I live on a hill). I don’t know how much a full charge takes as haven’t arrived home close to empty. Thanks for you thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
2,286 Posts
Hi Gazza, that 11 o'clock limiter line indicates that your regen should not be working strongly when your battery is full.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Gazza, that 11 o'clock limiter line indicates that your regen should not be working strongly when your battery is full.
Ok thank you. Maybe it’s my expectation then. Regen is the same for me from full battery onwards ie it doesn’t get any stronger into a journey. Is the 11 o’clock thing something set by user then? Also, I realise you don’t know how I drive but it’s quite average. do you not feel my range is low? Thank You..

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
484 Posts
Hi Qtown. Thank you for your info. I have high regen set and so does my friend. Here is my picture which as you can see seems more near 11 o’clock than yours. I dont have aircon on and I don’t drive aggressively at all. as you can see my range is so much lower than yours. I have a suspicion that my low range is related to the battery not being charged to the limit And thus I get regen working immediately I leave my house (I live on a hill). I don’t know how much a full charge takes as haven’t arrived home close to empty. Thanks for you thoughts.
View attachment 4722
Interesting picture. Your regen limit on a full charge is less than mine. If, as you say, your battery is not charging fully, I would expect your line to be further anticlockwise than mine.
Regarding charging, if you measure the energy reading from the charger, and the change of charge% in the Jag, you can do a rough estimate of the energy needed for a full charge. If your estimate is in the 90-95kWh range, your battery is probably fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting picture. Your regen limit on a full charge is less than mine. If, as you say, your battery is not charging fully, I would expect your line to be further anticlockwise than mine.
Regarding charging, if you measure the energy reading from the charger, and the change of charge% in the Jag, you can do a rough estimate of the energy needed for a full charge. If your estimate is in the 90-95kWh range, your battery is probably fine.
Ok good idea. Thanks. I shall go somewhere tomorrow then charge up and do the calc as you suggest. Will let you know. Many thanks Gary.

·
Super Moderator
2,286 Posts
You may also watch the consumption meter that you can access via the button on the left steering wheel stalk. It will only show "up" to -99kW regeneration (as opposed to >400kW use when you punch the throttle. I haven't tried it on full charge but it definitely shows regen when you lift your foot off the gas pedal.

Also, if you're on Android, you may want to download the WattCat app, which shows you the kWh in your battery (with some caveats).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You may also watch the consumption meter that you can access via the button on the left steering wheel stalk. It will only show "up" to -99kW regeneration (as opposed to >400kW use when you punch the throttle. I haven't tried it on full charge but it definitely shows regen when you lift your foot off the gas pedal.

Also, if you're on Android, you may want to download the WattCat app, which shows you the kWh in your battery (with some caveats).
Ah. Thanks I have wattcat. Here is the screenshot.

·
Super Moderator
2,286 Posts
How many miles on your kitty? Did you buy it new?
81.9kWh is low for a 7 month old kitty, but not a disaster.
Still, I recommend that you go to the dealer and request a battery report, where they give you the state of health ("SoH") for the battery modules. There should be 36 entries, one for each module (which they call "cells"). None of them should be below 95% SoH. Oh, and get your friend to install WattCat too so you can see what his kWh are at 100%.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Does Wattcat ever succeed in its "attempt to stop charging once the desired state of charge is reached?" Not yet for me.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It has been hit or miss for me. I've had it stop charging, then charging restarts. That seems consistent with what I've seen with trying to remotely cancel charging ... it will stop for a bit and then restart on its own.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Ah. Thanks I have wattcat. Here is the screenshot.

How many miles on your kitty? Did you buy it new?
81.9kWh is low for a 7 month old kitty, but not a disaster.
Still, I recommend that you go to the dealer and request a battery report, where they give you the state of health ("SoH") for the battery modules. There should be 36 entries, one for each module (which they call "cells"). None of them should be below 95% SoH. Oh, and get your friend to install WattCat too so you can see what his kWh are at 100%.
I have only done 4,000 miles and yes I bought it new. I have now booked it into Jag for 29th Oct to look at this and also rectify and annoying squeek on the brake pedal (even though I dont use the brakes much anymore!). Thanks for your advice - will let people know if they find anything of interest. Regards, Gary

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Does Wattcat ever succeed in its "attempt to stop charging once the desired state of charge is reached?" Not yet for me.
I will try it for you tonight - have set watcatt to 95% - let you know later. regards, Gary

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi there. So I went out for a drive and got back at charge state of 91%. I set wattcat to 95% max and suprise suprise it stopped charging at 97%. Previously I have always charge to 100% and it has never stopped before 100% so Wattcat is clearly doing something. Happy to do any other test if that helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi there. So I went out for a drive and got back at charge state of 91%. I set wattcat to 95% max and suprise suprise it stopped charging at 97%. Previously I have always charge to 100% and it has never stopped before 100% so Wattcat is clearly doing something. Happy to do any other test if that helps.
Thanks. I'll try again with WattCat.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts