Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very much interested in purchasing a new 2020 i-Pace. There are some on lots in my area that have my interest. I considered a Model S, but frankly, am uncertain about the build quality and the nearest "service center" is 2 hours away. I have Jag dealerships about 1 hour away. Also, I want the full tax credit (which is phasing out now for Tesla)

Which leads to my question. A couple of times a month I have to drive about 150 miles, mostly interstate.

For those of you that own this vehicle, can I reliable drive that distance on 1 charge? And when I say reliably, I mean at normal interstate speeds (ie. 70-80 mph), in the midwest cold winters, etc. I realize I can stop and charge if needed, but as much as I'm interested in an iPace its simply not worth the time for me to have to stop and "top off" somewhere.

I've read a ton of the threads focused on maximizing range, however, in your personal experience is 150 consistent and reliable - even in cold weather?

·
Super Moderator
1,159 Posts
I'm very much interested in purchasing a new 2020 i-Pace. There are some on lots in my area that have my interest. I considered a Model S, but frankly, am uncertain about the build quality and the nearest "service center" is 2 hours away. I have Jag dealerships about 1 hour away. Also, I want the full tax credit (which is phasing out now for Tesla)

Which leads to my question. A couple of times a month I have to drive about 150 miles, mostly interstate.

For those of you that own this vehicle, can I reliable drive that distance on 1 charge? And when I say reliably, I mean at normal interstate speeds (ie. 70-80 mph), in the midwest cold winters, etc. I realize I can stop and charge if needed, but as much as I'm interested in an iPace its simply not worth the time for me to have to stop and "top off" somewhere.

I've read a ton of the threads focused on maximizing range, however, in your personal experience is 150 consistent and reliable - even in cold weather?
For your 150 mile trip, do you mean out and back? What is your terrain and typical wind like? Driving into a headwind will increase consumption just as good weather does. Combining the two is a recipe for ooor range.

Also, what do you mean by ‘cold’? In my experience, when the temps are in the 20’s 150 miles would be doable at 65mph, but probably not at 75mph. If you are talking single digits or below, 150 miles is unattainable at a steady 75mph. Slow down to 55mph and you might be able to squeeze out 150 miles, but it would be close.

·
Super Moderator
1,159 Posts
Another user has posted his detailed experience on another post. This is obviously in warmer weather and I assume limited wind.

My testing on both commutes and long distance driving I find that there is a sweet spot of 55 or 56 mph, staying in that I get about 248 miles of range with the air condition/heat off. For each single MPH over that my range reduces by a corresponding 4 miles in range. Thus, at:
60 only 240,
61 only 236,
62 only 232,
63 only 228,
64 only 224,
65 only 220,
70 only 200,
80 only 160.

Air condition brings everything down about another 10% loss in range

Has worked really well so far in planning purposes. Anyone have other experience.

OBTW - I am running 20" wheels at tires at 41 psi

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SE Wisconsin / Chicago. So while the interstates out here are relatively flat we are talking really cold temps in winter. Sometimes subzero, often below freezing.

The 150 is one way, but i can charge easily at both locations.

However, if there is a risk in not getting there at all...well....bummer.

·
Registered
996 Posts
SE Wisconsin / Chicago. So while the interstates out here are relatively flat we are talking really cold temps in winter. Sometimes subzero, often below freezing.

That's a long trip. I think you're in bummerland. Sub-zero, one way, you're going to need something like 300 miles of EPA range at 65mph, probably more if you wanna go 80mph, and even more since you're going to want the heat on. A long-range Model S, not X, is the only EV I'd wanna do that trip in.

Better yet, get the I-Pace for your daily and an ICE car for the long trips. I suggest an Avalon, Buick sedan, Lincoln, or Genesis. If you wanna go big, get a used LS430.

Wait, you live in Wisconsin and you don't have a 4x4 truck???

·
Registered
146 Posts
Another user has posted his detailed experience on another post. This is obviously in warmer weather and I assume limited wind.
I posted the chart referenced and those previous numbers is at the current climate of 60 - 90 degree days.

For winter sub zero temperatures the HEATER makes a huge difference in range. Instead of a 10% hit, it is closer to a 20 percent hit in range.

What I found works best is if you first heat up the cabin for the first 10-20 minutes and then shut off the heater and just run the seat heaters things are very comfortable and I was seeing the following with outside temperature running between 10 - 30 degrees:

55 mph, 200
60 only 190,
61 only 186,
62 only 182,
63 only 178,
64 only 174,
65 only 170,
70 only 150,
80 only 130.

Again this is with 20" wheels at tires at 41 psi

·
Registered
599 Posts
You should be fine. We drive from Los Angeles to Palm Springs/Rancho Mirage area often. That is about 125 miles with going up and down elevation. The GOM usually have 100 miles to spare.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I don't have cold weather data for you yet but think you can make the distance if you follow the owners manual tips. Use comfort or eco mode, high regen, precondition the car, cycle heater on and off. Use a light touch on the accelerator and use the **** out of the adaptive cruise control. Again, I haven't traveled in the cold yet (Colorado winter weather will be a new challenge) but I consistently get 250 miles range at 65-70 MPH.

I learned a lot of tricks trying to maximize the battery range of my old PHEV and you'll learn too.

·
Super Moderator
1,159 Posts

My weather is a bit colder and roads a bit flatter than what you have in SE Wisconsin and I didn't chart it out like PGhiron did, but his numbers are right in line with my experience. I think you could use them to base your decision. Best case scenario, unless you are willing to travel slow (<55mph), making a 150 mile trip in the dead of winter is likely at the far edge of feasible.

My fuel efficiency was actually a little bit worse than those numbers, but out here on the prairie we have constant wind and that causes just as much problems as the cold weather. In December I did a few 126 mile loop test trips on the Interstate with the temps in the teens. I consistently used about 50kWh/100 miles at 60mph. My best was 43.7kWh/100 miles with the cruise set at 53mph. My worst was 58kWh/100 miles at 70mph. I didn't bother running a test at higher speeds or even colder temps because ultimately it doesn't matter, because I quickly learned that if I need to travel anywhere in the winter, it won't be in the I-Pace. I did precondition the car before every trip and I did use the climate control as needed to stay comfortable. I'm not interested in traveling like I am driving a 1966 VW Beetle...

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
For 150 miles, wearing 18" M+S, I think I'd be comfy. If you were considering soft-compound 22" summer tires, I'd be less confident and want a backup plan (a DCFC on route to throw 15 min of juice in).

The only "freezing" 150mi trip we took was IIRC, 28-36°F, 75 mph, Norco to Santa Barbara in Feb, coastal mountains wearing 20" All-Seasons. On the way up, 31% left, return trip (colder, not 100% SOC, used battery to melt ice on windshield) left 18%.

That's just my experience. And 75 mph around here is not safe since N-side black ice from runoff can occur at higher than 32°F, plus it's speeding by 10mph over which can get you ticketed.

But... We had two people, and luggage. This will actually improve your heater performance at the expense of rolling resistance and hill performance. I believe the coastal mountains are puny, at 2400' max perhaps. But in freezing weather at 4500' is was not tragically bad, but there was little snow when I went North. A Better Route Planner says the I-Pace will not be able to complete trips I've takes at 70-81 mph even if I slow to 35 mph. So you will need some first hand results.

Bjorn Nyland test the Tesla, I-Pace, and eTron in snow country (Norway) on wet roads in freezing type conditions on M+S Conti's. It might be enlightening.

Attachments

Reactions: docsbc

·
Registered
101 Posts
Tremendous Video! Thanks for sharing!!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Great information and the efficiency numbers make sense considering the I-Pace is the lightest and Model X is the most aerodynamic. Close battle between the two

·
Super Moderator
1,159 Posts
Bjorn Nyland test the Tesla, I-Pace, and eTron in snow country (Norway) on wet roads in freezing type conditions on M+S Conti's. It might be enlightening.
I am surprised that in this test, the I-Pace, with 18” tires, had the same efficiency as PGhiron does with his stock 20” - 190 miles range at 60mph on the ‘interstate’. Which again, is in line with my experience putting about 8000 miles or so on my car with the temps never going above freezing.

·
Registered
36 Posts

Have you considered a plug-in hybrid? I know it might be blasphemous to mention purchasing other great cars on a Jag forum, but I'm a Jag freak, always have been, and most likely will always have a Jag or two, plus an electric car. I hear what your saying on range anxiety and stopping to charge. The time to charge bums me out but if you have to pay to charge at a rate not too far away from just getting gas that really bums me out even further, which is why I never in the 5 years I had an i3 ever did that, and just used the ReX. Having that ReX was just the greatest but after seeing electric cars along the lines of the IPace, I knew I had to get a better looking car but finding a luxury electric car with REAL world daily range 40 to 50 miles AND a ReX is nearly impossible. In fact, as far as I know the 2016 ELR is the only car that has an even nicer interior than most Jags, has a range over 40 miles ( I get 48 to 52 myself no heat), and can run on gas over 35mpg at the touch of a button to go any distance you need. And it handles great, it's fast enough and all my car buddies think it looks better than an I Pace so it was a no brainer for me and saved like 50 grand to boot with a 3 year CPO.

It's just an idea... for guys like you where you want to just forget about range anxiety forever, and still go electric for most everything else at distance, it's just the greatest. Best car I've ever owned and extremely reliable. I'm sure member bruintoo can attest to that since he has both an IPace and a ELR....

So I'm praying that Jag will someday make that ReX for one of it's cars... that will be a great day indeed! I don't know if there's anything out there currently that can do 40+ electric/gas on demand and still be a luxury car, maybe there is now.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just find a DCFast charger , you need 15 min either way, stop and get coffee. Its worth it!

·
Super Moderator
2,253 Posts
I'm totally with doc on this. Most of the time you'll be fine. In a small set of circumstances you may have to charge up on your way.

Since you're an academic who lives in Madison and have to go to Chicago to visit a collaborator you have a 150 mile drive; there's an EA charger in Rockford at the Sam's Club. There's a Starbucks 0.6 miles away. Go for a walk and get a coffee if you have to stop due to inclement weather. Most of the time you'll make it home just fine.

When you say "can charge at either end" do you have a fast charger in Chicago (or wherever you're going, which is probably Chicago)?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice guess, but not an UW academic. i’d be traveling up/down 43/94 so Rockford doesn’t help much. Besides, if its too cold to get enough range then it’s also going to be too cold for me to want to walk a half mile to starbucks and back!

I think the ECQ is suppose to have more reliable range, perhaps i’ll see what that looks like later this year instead.

·
Super Moderator
2,253 Posts
haha, ok i had to try

the eqc isn't going to be any better than the iPace in terms of range. i've done a handful of 150 mile trips and the only time i broke a sweat was going uphill with a fierce headwind.

milwaukee has a few EVgo and Chargepoint chargers ... you'll be fine ... most of the time you won't have to stop to charge; maybe you need to top off in the depth of winter when you have a headwind ...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts