Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So range was getting down to 6 miles with a charger apparently in some nearby carpark. Well in the cold weather, the range suddenly dropped from 6 mi to zero with the alert: "Pull over in a safe location. Vehicle is shutting down"

I was in the middle of a busy intersection of course. Wife and kids were screaming. I deftly navigated to said parking lot and started looking for the charger. Beep beep beep ... Red alert. Vehicle shutting down. Staring to wonder if I can push the car through snow.

There's the charger, about 20 yards away. Can I make it? Inching along and made it just close enough to plug in. 10 minutes before any signs of life from the I-Pace, but it then promptly came back to life. Woohoo!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Had the same problem, 30km showed on the reading, dropped to 8 in a minute. Pulled over and called a flat bed via jaguar.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,249 Posts
Maybe you should have told the wife and kids to open the doors and bail out to lighten the load and make it easier to get to the charger. :D

Yes, it causes wear and tear on the nerves when you get that. I had it suddenly drop while going 55 mph. I didn't not have screaming adding to that wear and tear, though.

I started out with more than enough GOM and SOC (I thought) to get to a charger along my journey. They kept dropping the closer I got. Drastic dropping occurred below 10% SOC. I had to nurse it several miles beyond 0 to get to a charger once. I had no one to jettison. I don't want to go through that again.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've been there too. I was at the end of a road trip, which normally would have been fine except I was heading into a strong wind. My car went from 3 to 0 while sitting at a very busy intersection, but I managed to limp another .1 miles with "vehicle shutting down" to a charger. I don't think I could have gone another 100 feet. Happened to me twice in my old i3 also, going from 5 to 0 and limping to charging.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Had that happen on a trip from Montreal to Boston. Not a lot of DC fast chargers on that route so there was one tight stretch (280km) from the Canada/US border to the next one in Manchester (at least if you take the scenic 93 though the white mountains). Got a sudden GOM drop at the Liquor/food outlet in Hooksett followed by some white knuckle driving in low power mode. Gained on the GOM for a while and started relaxing as I saw the Whole foods sign with 10km left on the GOM when it went to 0 and got the shutdown notice. Scanned the lot hoping the charger was on my side of the lot and that I would see it without having to search around. Literally coasted to the spot. Needed new underwear. II now make an additional stop early in the trip (a pain to stop at 85% charge because there are no chargers on the 93 in New Hampshire) or take the 91 route which has more charge stops.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Anything over 150 miles, I'm taking another car. Or not going, preferably.

Reactions: Scufflegrit

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Anything over 150 miles, I'm taking another car. Or not going, preferably.
That’s kind of my feeling. As I look at a typical route from NY to Florida, there should be no issue making that trip based on the chargers spaced along the route. But what if you arrive at a charger with 10% remaining and the chargers are down? That’s a nightmare scenario I’d choose to avoid. Inoperative chargers are a too common occurrence, just based on the ones I‘ve seen in my area.

Sure, you can make twice as many stops to minimize the chances of that happening, but do want invest that much time at all those charging sessions for that assurance? You may also have to wait if all the chargers are occupied. I had that happen a few times at Tesla SCs. Compounding that is the fact that if you charge at a higher SOC, charging will be that much slower. It kind of detracts from the enjoyment of driving the car. So at 40-45mpg, I’d opt to take my wife’s ES300h even though I enjoy driving the I-Pace more.

This is more a commentary on where we are today with our charging infrastructure than it is on the I-Pace. It’s certainly getting better, but we’ve got a long way to go.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ever since I had my i3 with range extender, I think it would be a great idea if you could rent or buy a’Travel Pod’ for those long drives you just can’t avoid. It would be a box you slide into the trunk with a turbine powered by diesel that would deliver a constant flow of electrons. It would be so cool if the XJ had a button marked ‘Turbines’ always available for a cross country road trip.

From what I gather, the i3’s REX put out 25,000 watts(which sounds very high to me based on how many watts a typical harbour Freight jenny supplies) and that had a hard time maintaining highway velocities under certain circumstances. Since we all know how us Jag drivers typically figure the rules of the road are for ’others’ to follow, I think somewhere around 50,000watts would be appropriate.

·
Registered
2020 S
109 Posts
I agree with Ken & jsimon7777. I love driving the I-Pace locally, but if we're driving somewhere for vacation we're taking the F150. There's plenty of room for our family of four plus a couple weeks of luggage under the hard tonneau cover, and with the 36 gal tank I've got 700 miles of range at 80 mph. To take the I-Pace we'd have to mount a roof top cargo box - I wonder what the range is for an I-Pace at 80 mph with a cargo box. My guess is not good.

Similar to Timbo, I've always figured a large electric pickup or SUV should be designed to accept a removable or quick connect genset in the frunk. When you're going on a long trip you could just run by the dealer, and they could drop in a genset module that you rent for a the duration of your trip. It gets rid of the range issues, and maybe it gives the dealers more incentive to sell EV's if they can expect some revenue renting gensets. I could see manufacturers even giving incentives - they might provide several free days a year or something. I'd replace my F150 with an electric pickup that had that capability.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I did not have sudden Gom drops but I did have a situation where all chargers were broken. On my way from Tampa to Atlanta I made stops every 100-150 miles at 100+ kW chargers for about 45 minutes to an hour. Gom was always wrong by about 20 miles, so if I was supposed to have 50 miles left at the destination, I would have 30 miles left when reaching there.

At one of the chargers all 4 stalls were broken. After about 2 hours of trying and calling customer support, eventually one of the stalls started working. If it didn't, there was a 50 kW charger 15 miles away and if that didn't work either, I had an option to go to one of many 7.2 kW chargers in the 15 mile area to charge enough to go to another fast charger that was 50 miles away. That would have added another extra couple of hours to the trip though. I didn't feel exactly stuck or hopeless but compared to gas car, the trip took about 11 hours instead of 7.5.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
689 Posts
On the plus side: The charging infrastructure is getting better.

When I first picked up my FE I was anticipating the PA to Montreal route regularly. It was manageable, but a long stretch over the high peaks region of the Adirondacks and down to Montreal (165 miles) with no charging options. EVConnect just added a DCFC half way at Lake Schroon, and Electric Circuit just added a charger right across the US border.
With the use of ChargePoint or some alternative to check the status of chargers, I feel comfortable making this trip and longer ones.
Remember ABRP recommend shorter charging stops more frequently taking advantage of the faster charging rates up to 80%.

·
Registered
63 Posts
New to EV's (as in a test drive and one week of around town with minimal driving, about 100 miles prior to this adventure) I found a great deal in Florida while visiting family. So what do I do??? Take it on a long road trip to Texas, naturally. Stopping at every Electrify America station along I-10. It wasn't until I am nearing my destination and a little bit of anxious feeling to finish the road trip that I ride it like an ICE vehicle along my home stretch on I-10, knowing I have one more stop ahead of me before my final destination.

Only to get to that charging station on a Sunday night and it is not working. Had to press on, going slower on the highway with hazards, and finally reaching a charging station with 4 miles and 2% left on the dash. Talk about range anxiety. Up until then, I would just stop along the way and top up to 80%-90% and push forward. Not sure I will do a long trip like that again any time soon.

Nothing like just jumping into it!!!

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
689 Posts
Welcome to the world of EVs. As a useful suggestion: Download the apps for the charging companies and apps such as ABRP (A Better Route Planner) and Plugshare and get into the habit of planning ahead. Each app will give the status of individual chargers - yes it is not perfect, but gives a good idea if chargers are offline.
Happy long distance driving will follow a few minutes of planning.

·
Registered
822 Posts
New to EV's (as in a test drive and one week of around town with minimal driving, about 100 miles prior to this adventure) I found a great deal in Florida while visiting family. So what do I do??? Take it on a long road trip to Texas, naturally. Stopping at every Electrify America station along I-10. It wasn't until I am nearing my destination and a little bit of anxious feeling to finish the road trip that I ride it like an ICE vehicle along my home stretch on I-10, knowing I have one more stop ahead of me before my final destination.

Only to get to that charging station on a Sunday night and it is not working. Had to press on, going slower on the highway with hazards, and finally reaching a charging station with 4 miles and 2% left on the dash. Talk about range anxiety. Up until then, I would just stop along the way and top up to 80%-90% and push forward. Not sure I will do a long trip like that again any time soon.

Nothing like just jumping into it!!!
Wow, impressive. I 2nd Qtown. ABRP will help you plan your next long trip. It's very useful.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I'd probably get 120 miles in the I-Pace on a long trip. Speeding up and slowing down between 65 and 100mph, over and over and over, does that to fuel economy. But in a Model S, I might get 170. So much more useful! /s No thanks. Plus my gas stops take 5 minutes. A charging stop at 800V on a Taycan is, what, 20 minutes if it's perfectly located? Which it never is. Call me when an EV charges at 1600V and has 250kwh of battery. Then it will be great for long trips.

Reactions: crossrock

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What was the outside temperature?
A few degrees below freezing. I subsequently found out that it degrades the battery to run it down so close to zero (causes resistance to develop), and also to charge it cold without conditioning. Oops!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts