Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
731 Posts
That would make sense, but I can't fathom some of the choices that dealers make. The market in Canada is tiny, so I would have expected dealers to (for example) stick with interiors which were likely to be popular (such as practical charcoal or tan leather rather than Oyster or Mars Red). A local dealer wants to sell me car which lacks adaptive dynamics and adaptive surface response (collectively $920 worth of upgrade) but which has a suedecloth headliner (a $1020 upgrade). I'm looking for a car which is a pleasure to drive, and I pay no attention to the headliner. I rarely carry a passenger, and if I do it's likely to be my wife of 45 years, who will not be impressed with $1,300 worth of carbon fibre dashboard trim so long as I want her to believe that we can't afford that new stove that she wants ;)
The flip side of that argument is that dealers can, and in my opinion did, go too conservative when the I-Pace was first introduced. Too many black, white and grey vehicles with high end standard packages.

The problem dealers have is that traditionally Jaguar owners wanted plush and luxurious. Selling an EV cannot target these potential owners because it goes against the idea of clean, efficient eco-friendly. On the other hand, the I-Pace was not designed to compete in the "in your face tech" space.
To my mind it is intrinsically a European design not optimised for the US market. And for my liking that was what I wanted. While you end up paying a $$ premium, the best approach is a custom build, and getting what you as an individual want.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I haven’t found very many in CA so far that are bloated. The only thing that gets them
In the high 70s is when they add the 22s. Otherwise lots of nice functionality add ons. I think they learned their lesson from 2020.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The problem dealers have is that traditionally Jaguar owners wanted plush and luxurious. Selling an EV cannot target these potential owners because it goes against the idea of clean, efficient eco-friendly.
Exactly. I am very comfortable financially but I like to be discreet about it. For what I paid for my loaded XC60 I could have gone with BMW or Mercedes or Land Rover, but those cars in my imagination telegraph immodesty and pretentiousness. In my youth (the 1960s) Volvo might have been associated with eccentric university professors, but then Volvo started marketing safety and practicality and the cars soon telegraphed "I'm an old man with grandkids and I like to drive slowly". (Of course, I got the T6 because I like to drive like a madman, and I don't have grandkids).

I went to check out the I-Pace when it first appeared in the country. The salesman asked what I would be using it for, and when I replied that most of my driving was between our country home and the city (225 km / 135 miles) he told me that the I-Pace would not have enough range in the winter, and dragged me across the sales floor to look and an F-Pace.

I explained to him that I did not come to his store to buy a Jaguar, but rather I came to buy an electric car, and if I were in the market for a carbon-fueled SUV I would buy another Volvo.

But I took his comments about the range of the I-Pace seriously and crossed it off my list. I later heard that dealers were discouraging the sales of the I-Pace due to lower markups and fewer visits to the service department.

·
Registered
2020 iPace SE
133 Posts
Exactly. I am very comfortable financially but I like to be discreet about it. For what I paid for my loaded XC60 I could have gone with BMW or Mercedes or Land Rover, but those cars in my imagination telegraph immodesty and pretentiousness. In my youth (the 1960s) Volvo might have been associated with eccentric university professors, but then Volvo started marketing safety and practicality and the cars soon telegraphed "I'm an old man with grandkids and I like to drive slowly". (Of course, I got the T6 because I like to drive like a madman, and I don't have grandkids).

I went to check out the I-Pace when it first appeared in the country. The salesman asked what I would be using it for, and when I replied that most of my driving was between our country home and the city (225 km / 135 miles) he told me that the I-Pace would not have enough range in the winter, and dragged me across the sales floor to look and an F-Pace.

I explained to him that I did not come to his store to buy a Jaguar, but rather I came to buy an electric car, and if I were in the market for a carbon-fueled SUV I would buy another Volvo.

But I took his comments about the range of the I-Pace seriously and crossed it off my list. I later heard that dealers were discouraging the sales of the I-Pace due to lower markups and fewer visits to the service department.
That’s appalling
Our dealer tried to move theirs as much as possible to make room for more Defenders!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Here’s some notes about the 2022 model:

all but two of the USB ports have become USB-C. Both rear are C, one center console is C. One center console is A and one by the glovebox is A. The driver side under dash one is gone. I presume it became the power source for the wireless charger.

the rear storage cover is just a cloth pull tab now instead of the nice plastic release n lift handle. Trying to decide how disappointed i am about this living in a world where people have actual real problems.

if you don’t have configurable ambient lighting, dynamic mode doesn’t turn the interior red. Also the silver gauge bezels are gone in dynamic mode. What the heck?

whenever i open a door, it pauses charging. That seems dumb. And a PITA when your re at EA since you basically have to start a new session.

dunno if the 20 has this but there is now a stop charging and release charge button inside the charger door. It has a bright white sticker on it.

you can no longer have media on teh bottom screen, as far as i can tell. It is climate only.

the updated nav is actually pretty slick. I only have one drive to judge it but let me tell you what it did. I routed it to my destination, it said are you sure, you will arrive with 8% charge and i said yes. Then it clearly updated the range meter (GOM) with the anticipated usage for that trip! So what was originally 240 miles of range instantly got reduced to 190 when the destination was set (it was a drive averaging 70 mph with some elevation changes). And the delta between miles remaining range and miles left to go trip stayed the same the entire trip. As i drove and it had actually usage data, my charge remaining crept up from 8% every 15-20 minutes or so until eventually it was 15% when i arrived. So it plans on the conservative side of reality. Really nice. Actually planned better than the ABRP app. Was it a fluke? I don’t know but that was behavior very much like the TESLA nav works. So really happy there.

·
Registered
447 Posts
JLR lowered prices significantly in the States, but forgot to do so for those of us in Canada.
Yes, You're right. I check the other day, and they start at 99K$, which is pretty much the "old" price for an HSE trim. Even with this HSE level, you don't have a winter pack as standard, you have to add : heated seat, heated steering wheel, heated mirrors, heated windshield, heated windshield fluid, ... which should be standard in Canada.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes, You're right. I check the other day, and they start at 99K$, which is pretty much the "old" price for an HSE trim. Even with this HSE level, you don't have a winter pack as standard, you have to add : heated seat, heated steering wheel, heated mirrors, heated windshield, heated windshield fluid, ... which should be standard in Canada.
I went to the USA configurator and built my preferred build ($106,180 in Canadian dollars) for $75,345 US, or $95,924 Cdn at today's exchange rate.

According to CarCost Canada, the dealer cost for my build is $97,684... or $2,760 Cdn. more than the US retail MSRP. o_O

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar i-Pace HSE
361 Posts
It's possible Canada has higher import tariffs. Don't know if that is the case, but it could be an explanation.

·
Registered
2019 HSE Santorini Black
79 Posts
Here’s some notes about the 2022 model:

all but two of the USB ports have become USB-C. Both rear are C, one center console is C. One center console is A and one by the glovebox is A. The driver side under dash one is gone. I presume it became the power source for the wireless charger.

the rear storage cover is just a cloth pull tab now instead of the nice plastic release n lift handle. Trying to decide how disappointed i am about this living in a world where people have actual real problems.

if you don’t have configurable ambient lighting, dynamic mode doesn’t turn the interior red. Also the silver gauge bezels are gone in dynamic mode. What the heck?

whenever i open a door, it pauses charging. That seems dumb. And a PITA when your re at EA since you basically have to start a new session.

dunno if the 20 has this but there is now a stop charging and release charge button inside the charger door. It has a bright white sticker on it.

you can no longer have media on teh bottom screen, as far as i can tell. It is climate only.

the updated nav is actually pretty slick. I only have one drive to judge it but let me tell you what it did. I routed it to my destination, it said are you sure, you will arrive with 8% charge and i said yes. Then it clearly updated the range meter (GOM) with the anticipated usage for that trip! So what was originally 240 miles of range instantly got reduced to 190 when the destination was set (it was a drive averaging 70 mph with some elevation changes). And the delta between miles remaining range and miles left to go trip stayed the same the entire trip. As i drove and it had actually usage data, my charge remaining crept up from 8% every 15-20 minutes or so until eventually it was 15% when i arrived. So it plans on the conservative side of reality. Really nice. Actually planned better than the ABRP app. Was it a fluke? I don’t know but that was behavior very much like the TESLA nav works. So really happy there.
Oh the navigation sounds awesome, I drive mine 3k miles a month and that would come in handy. The other stuff besides the smoother tech operation don't sound like improvements but more cost savings

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's possible Canada has higher import tariffs. Don't know if that is the case, but it could be an explanation.
Import duty depends upon the country of manufacture, and in the case of the I-Pace it is Austria and the duty is 6.1%. If I were to import the I-Pace from a USA dealer I would pay the same duty based upon the country of manufacture. I would also pay fees to a customs broker who would wrangle the paperwork. But I would still save about $6,000.

I can't import an I-Pace from a US dealer due to the contractual obligations of dealers to not sell to foreigners. :(

My best bet would be to pay a trustworthy person in New Hampshire (where there is no sales tax) to buy the car and then meet me across the street and sell it to me as a used car for a modest profit.

Alas, this plan assumes that there are trustworthy people in New Hampshire :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ordered my car from a dealer in the UK on 2nd July. I was informed at the time that delivery would be expected as late as January 22 - hopefully. (My previous order with Tusker apparently hadn't been made so I had already wasted 2 months). A few weeks ago I was contacted by the dealer apologising and explaining that the HUD would not be available - I had the options to go without, wait an unknown time for the HUD to be available again or cancel the order. I decided to go ahead but to be quite honest I'm not holding out much hope for January - does anyone know if any iPace cars are being built at the moment? One of my friends has been waiting since May for a second Key for her Jaguar ePace - the dealer has the key shell but can not get the electronic components and has no lead time at present!

·
Registered
17 Posts
View attachment 6014
My friend in Massachusetts just purchased one for MSRP today. His previous iPace was the victim of a hard hit&run. Fortunately no one was hurt. He tested a F-Pace SVR which he stated was jaguars attempt to make an SUV into a sports car. The fit and finish was beautiful, but the ride was very jarring.
He then tested an RS Q8 after a friend suggestion, I found the ride to be even more unpleasant! “It’s as though you were undergoing lithotripsy the entire time while driving.” (To paraphrase).
Ultimately he returned to another iPace.
Happy to share more details soon: curious about the new infotainment system. And if you notice the model designation S, SE, HSE is no longer of visible on the door. As a previous poster commented, maybe the USA truly is getting everything HSE.
What model year is your friend’s i-Pace?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ordered my 2022 i-Pace in June for November 21 delivery. Was just told today that delivery has been pushed back until March 2022! Salesman also confirmed the HUD and some other features are not likely to be available and a “credit” will be issued. I didn’t want to order off the lot, but I might just do that since I am not likely to get the car I ordered anyway. Just how long does it take to build a new chip factory?

41 - 54 of 54 Posts