Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Yes, agreed, for closing it could be an issue but opening not so much. I do have LEDs in my opener, but mine seem to be fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have LED bulbs but they are separate from my opener. My opener is plugged into a different socket than the light. The light is wirelessly controlled by the opener that has the open/close receiver. Like I have mentioned previously, two remotes and three other cars with homelink open the garage from 30 to 50 feet away. This is a problem isolated to this specific vehicle.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I wonder if it’s LED brand dependent, garage door opener dependent or a combination of both. As a result of the heated windshield, I still can’t use the automated car wash pass anywhere on the car. I don’t know if that kind of windshield impacts the opener issue, although in my case it doesn’t.

·
Registered
597 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would "like" to add a quirk/dislike to this list :) My 2019 HSE, when you would exit the driver seat, the plastic area where the seat belt mechanism is, on the side of the seat bottom....would creak and crack.

My 2020 does the same, but when driving on curvy roads, the same area does a click/clack/creak with left and right turns :-O Minor, but I cannot "unhear" or "unfeel" it now!

Luckily, it is silent on flat roads, straightaways, accelerations and braking. Whew!!

Anyone else have this on their 19 or 20?
Mine also does this. Most of the time slightly adjusting the seat forward or backward helps. I'm considering taking it to the dealer to see if they can do something about it.

I also get the passenger seatbelt rattling but I can live with it.

And the brakes also make strange noises, glad that I don't use them much.

And the fans on the peak of summer are sometimes unbearable.

**** I'm not sure why I like the car so much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wonder if it’s LED brand dependent, garage door opener dependent or a combination of both. As a result of the heated windshield, I still can’t use the automated car wash pass anywhere on the car. I don’t know if that kind of windshield impacts the opener issue, although in my case it doesn’t.

I've read somewhere in the manual that if you have RFID passes (like the ones for automatic toll collection or car wash) you have to place it in the black area next to the rear view mirror for them to work properly.

·
Premium Member
2020 I-Pace HSE Indus Silver
671 Posts
Mine also does this. Most of the time slightly adjusting the seat forward or backward helps. I'm considering taking it to the dealer to see if they can do something about it.

I also get the passenger seatbelt rattling but I can live with it.

And the brakes also make strange noises, glad that I don't use them much.

And the fans on the peak of summer are sometimes unbearable.

**** I'm not sure why I like the car so much.
PLEASE let me know if you take your I-Pace to the dealer for the driver seat clicking/clacking. Unless I think or know they can do something, I avoid the dealer as much as possible.

Luckily, 2 I-Paces and silent brakes. Sometimes they feel a little "strange", but they are silent and I rarely use them.

Passenger seat belt rattling is an easy fix.

The fans are UNBEARABLE even with just 80F. I started my car yesterday in the garage. Garage thermometer showed 75F and car thermometer showed 72F. The fans came on right away, full speed. You can hear them 5 houses away. Seriously, what was Jaguar thinking?
We drove our Taycan today in 95F weather for almost an hour and that included doing "launch mode" 2x before getting home. Pulled into the garage...not a single fan running!!!!! We also left the A/C running while we had lunch and went to Target, 95F and the remote climate ran for almost an hour....not a single fan; silent.

·
Registered
773 Posts
View attachment 4547

I've read somewhere in the manual that if you have RFID passes (like the ones for automatic toll collection or car wash) you have to place it in the black area next to the rear view mirror for them to work properly.
Gary, thanks, but that didn’t work either. I don’t think these are RFID passes, but rather simple barcode stickers that are read from an overhead scanner at the car wash. There seems to be no place on the windshield (or roof for that matter) that work.

·
Registered
Mazda RX-8
309 Posts
The fans are UNBEARABLE even with just 80F. I started my car yesterday in the garage. Garage thermometer showed 75F and car thermometer showed 72F. The fans came on right away, full speed. You can hear them 5 houses away. Seriously, what was Jaguar thinking?
I'm still wondering if something is wrong with mine, since I rarely hear the fans and it's been in the 80's and 90's for over 2 months. i think the only time I hear the fans is when I plug it in to charge and then only briefly.

I actually heard more fan noise from the loaner RR Velar I had last Friday than I do from the I-Pace! Should I be worried?? :eek:

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Nope! After 20 months of ownership my I-Pace behaves exactly like yours and my temperatures are in the 80's and 90's for 8 months of the year. Even on the 100 degree days my fans continue to run only briefly when I pull into the garage and again only briefly when a charge begins.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Just as an aside, my wife's Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic P-380 has some fan noise, but nothing like the 4 cylinder turbo charged engine fans that run after shut down.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
I am super stumped why both my 2019 and now 2020 I-Pace fans run LOUD and always run, and then some of you say that yours never run, even with temps in the 80s to 100F. This makes no sense. I would say something was wrong with my '19, but my 2020 does the same thing and 2 Jaguar dealers told me the fans are super loud and run a lot.

I can't figure this one out. All our I-Paces should behave the same when it comes to fans.

I loved my '19 enough to get a '20, but the fans are the absolute!!! worst thing about the/my I-Pace! Luckily almost everything else about the I-Pace is heaven :)

·
Super Moderator
2,249 Posts
I was reading another post of yours and thinking the same thing. It's strange. You may have gotten lucky by getting two cars with the same bad sensor or some such thing. You're not preconditioning all the time are you?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I noticed that the fans were very loud, but the temp was upwards of 35C (95F), with the car in the sun. At 80F they seldom come on, and when they do, it's on their minimum setting, barely audible.

Having 5 or 6 days per year with the fans at max throttle, while not ideal, doesn't bother me much. If they were on from 80F upwards i would be very annoyed.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Regarding the fans, I posted this in another thread but I think a big difference is the level of humidity. At the same ambient temperature, a car will have an easier time cooling itself in higher humidity as compared to dry air. Altitude works the same way; the higher up you are, the more the cooling system has to work.

Photon and I are both in the southeast and Doc is in PA. Not sure where in PA Doc lives, but my wife is from Philly and I know that it can feel like the deep south in the summer. I get the short (less than five seconds) fan spool up when I first plug in and I can hear it running in the parking lot at work when I remotely call for a precondition, but that's it. Deutsch is in a much drier climate and is at a little bit of altitude, so I'm not surprised that he hears more fan noise, but it does seem to be excessive.

Finally, my wife also has a P380 Velar and the fans on that motor are not very noticeable as compared to JLR's 4 cylinder turbo motors (one neighbor has a P250 Velar and another has the same motor in an F Pace). The only noise from the P380 that bothered me is chatter from the valves at startup, but I finally found a properly specced oil that eliminates that. Since we still need one long range road trip car, the Velar fits the bill nicely.

Reactions: Deutsch100

·
Registered
773 Posts
But I’d think the opposite, the fans would run more in higher humidity. The AC would need to both lower the temperature and provide dehumidification. In hot, drier conditions, it only needs to cool the air.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thick humid air creates problems for keeping people comfortable, but not cars. Water has a higher heat capacity than air, and thus thick humid air will move heat more quickly away from the radiator as compared to dry air at the same temperature. So where the battery's safe operating temperature is about 120 degrees Fahrenheit (50 degrees Celsius), that thick air in the 90s will be more efficient than dry air in the 90s.

You are correct that high humidity will cause the HVAC to work harder to make the cabin comfortable because the higher heat capacity of thick humid air works in both directions: on the one hand where it is cooler than the target temperature for the battery, it's great at cooling, on the other hand where it is warmer than we want for comfort, it takes more energy to cool it off.

It seems counter intuitive, but that's because we (people) use evaporative cooling and want lower temps in the Summer and cars use conductive cooling and even in the 90s, the ambient temperature is "cool" by the battery's standards. I learned this lesson the hard way when I lived in New Mexico and noticed that my old aircooled VW really struggled to keep cool at highway speeds.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
I was reading another post of yours and thinking the same thing. It's strange. You may have gotten lucky by getting two cars with the same bad sensor or some such thing. You're not preconditioning all the time are you?
I have never preconditioned at home, since the car is always in the garage. If I am parked at work, or out to lunch or running errands, many times I will activate Remote Climate from the app and I will also hit the precondition now button when parking and running into a store.

I can kind of deal with the car running terribly loud fans when parked and using remote climate, but why do they have to run all the time when driving, at a red light, first start in the morning?

Re: Sensor....I turned my 2019 into Service questioning the fans and a possible bad sensor, and they confirmed the sensor for the fans was fine.

CHARGING....when I plug in to charge and the garage and/or car are hot, the loud fans only run for a very short time and then they turn off. That seems to be the same as most of you are reporting ;) So, that's reassuring!

·
Premium Member
2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
84 Posts
I'm going to try a couple of those bulbs. My range is not terrible, but it's not great.

As far as the other pet peeves on my list, the fact that I have to push the unlock button on the key fob to remove the charging cable in my garage is the highest on my list.

41 - 60 of 98 Posts