Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2019 I-PACE
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know of a way to obtain the updated maps using a Chromebook instead of a PC? I have downloaded the Here Maps from my PC many, many times. But, I figured that I am mostly using my CB for websurfing most of the time. It is less of a hassle to jsut use that device, instead of switching over to my work PC just to download the map update.

Update 5/26 for anyone interested: sent an email request via the HERE.com website on 5/26 and still have not heard back from them. There auto response ticketing system indicated that a response should be provided in 3 business days. So maybe I might get a response tomorrow...

Update 6/10 for anyone that is also interested in this topic (was out of town for last few weeks): receive an email response from HERE team (even with typo) as noted below:
"Thank you for inquiring about HERE Technologies. Unfortunatley we do not supply or offer support for the 2019 I-Pace maps. Support for this service is offered by authorized Jaguar dealerships. Please consult a dealer for more details." I also sent an email to Jaguar in control support several weeks ago but never heard back. So it seems that the only way to update the Maps is to use Windows or MacOS. :(

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,208 Posts
Consider posing your question to HERE.COM and sharing the response.

"Visit the Contact Us page to get in touch via email or phone. You can also utilize the live chat feature on the store to talk to an agent during standard business hours."

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hello!
The app required to load the maps on the usb key will work on windows only. So unless here releases a specific version, it won't work. This said, why bother? These maps are 3 years old and contain only 1% oth the charging stations...

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
Hello!
The app required to load the maps on the usb key will work on windows only. So unless here releases a specific version, it won't work. This said, why bother? These maps are 3 years old and contain only 1% oth the charging stations...
They seem to be more current in the US. I know a person living on a recently built road (early last year). It is on the map with the correct name.
Tom Tom on the other hand is at least 2 years back for their devices even with quarterly updates.

I rely more on charger company apps and PlugShare to plan where to stop and recharge. They are always more current. I get the address of the desired charger and plot the route accordingly.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I rely more on charger company apps and PlugShare to plan where to stop and recharge. They are always more current. I get the address of the desired charger and plot the route accordingly.
That's my point, precisely. When you drive from A to B, these points being distant away enough to require a charge, the whole Here navi process gets completely mad. A recent exemple: there's a circle motorway around Torino. There are at least 3 semi-fast chargers along this road (Ikea, iv november etc). Nothing special about it, right? Right... maybe. The navi totally ignores these chargers, and absolutely wants to send you into the city center, litterally anywhere, to charge (even inhabitants don't drive through the city, it's insanely complicated, just to say). And even after you charged at one of these motorway stations, since systems aren't linked in any way, it persists, absolutely, ever, even half an hour later, to say you need to turn around and go charging back there in the middle of nowhere.
So sorry but such a navi system is totally useless, since you need to know exactly where you drive to, exactly the way we did in the past times of paper maps.

Another example, sorry about that: in Martigny, Switzerland,, there are many high speed stations (Orsières, Martigny city, Martigny motorway pitstop). Guess what? Here send you... to the Tesla supercharger. Same in Steg (further east direction Zermatt). Yes yes yes. Brilliant. Love it. And still, at JLR, they pay a huge amount of money to Here for that crap. No one in this company has the corones to change that the way Jobs or Musk did in their times.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
Have you enabled the "Auto-add charging stations"? I found that to be absolutely bonkers. It added a charger based on physical straight-line proximity at the time it decided I would need to stop to charge.Then it recalculated based on going there. Then it kept on insisting to go there.

I've never gotten the Preferred Charging Stations to work properly. Tesla is listed as a brand. Make sure that is unchecked. Do this via Navigation settings.

Try enabling "save personal charging points". This may get it to recognize the places you stop at are charging locations.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Have you enabled the "Auto-add charging stations"? I found that to be absolutely bonkers. It added a charger based on physical straight-line proximity at the time it decided I would need to stop to charge.Then it recalculated based on going there. Then it kept on insisting to go there.

I've never gotten the Preferred Charging Stations to work properly. Tesla is listed as a brand. Make sure that is unchecked. Do this via Navigation settings.

Try enabling "save personal charging points". This may get it to recognize the places you stop at are charging locations.
Well I admint I never tried to check the available settings: I read once that if you remove the chargers, the navi prohibits you from driving more than 400km since you're not supposed to arrive there in one leg. I confirm this automatic setting is totally idiot. This said, I definitely need to have a look there, thanks a lot for the tips !

·
Registered
364 Posts
The chargers positions come from the HERE api, not from JLR, same as maps. I was wondering how JLR could keep up with chargers update around the globe, and same question about the availability, but I realize that they were simply relying on HERE data, and expect HERE to update the data.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Absolutely. And unfortunately, the Here team lives in the past century, struggling with totally obsolete data, and totally unable to understand that today's world goes fast: every hour, a new station goes live, and every second, a socket changes from busy to free.
So who's fault is that? Here's? No. They're totally unadapted to their environment, and they gotta diseappear soon. No. The real fault here is JLR, artificially keeping Here alive, wasting money and drivers patience. They should turn to google or waze, or apple maps, and basta.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Meanwhile, Tesla's app directs me to four destination chargers that all require expensive valet parking.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
666 Posts
Absolutely. And unfortunately, the Here team lives in the past century, struggling with totally obsolete data, and totally unable to understand that today's world goes fast: every hour, a new station goes live, and every second, a socket changes from busy to free.
So who's fault is that? Here's? No. They're totally unadapted to their environment, and they gotta diseappear soon. No. The real fault here is JLR, artificially keeping Here alive, wasting money and drivers patience. They should turn to google or waze, or apple maps, and basta.
So what you are asking JLR to incorporate into their vehicles is something that doesn't exist at this time. Many independent networks that have the info you desire, but are not willing, or able, to share with one navigation service.
Be careful what you ask for. Imagine a navigation system that routes you to an open charger, that gets occupied as you are heading there. Then what? Rerouting to another charger than is open at that moment, but may be busy when you arrive.
Until all vehicles are networked and autonomous what you desire cannot work smoothly.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It does exist: chargemap provides this information (busy/online). ABRP contains very accurate data as well. Tesla does it since years ago. I'm not dreaming here, just pointing out the fact that in the current situation, with Here, you simply cannot travel. A navigation tool actually preventing you from traveling, inducing huge detours, and providing wrong info.
Of course, local providers are not members of such a high level service. So what? The actual status remains empty and that's it, but the chargers are still listed, with speed and available sockets. We start from so far away, with chargers not listed at all, except maybe for 1% of them, with a preference for very old chargers, which are also the slowest, than doing much better is easy.
Today, I need an additional tablet to find my route and my chargers, because Here does it so wrong. Is it normal?

·
Registered
MY21 Portofino Blue HSE, Pano Roof, Clearsight Mirror, Air Suspension & AD, Upgraded Cabin Light
269 Posts
I guess Here are going to have to adapt this and soon but the sheer volatility of the charger landscape and availability does not make this a straightforward task.

The UK Government has been consulting on mandating all charger operators to have a standard API that would make integration of this key data much easier

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
666 Posts
It does exist: chargemap provides this information (busy/online). ABRP contains very accurate data as well. Tesla does it since years ago. I'm not dreaming here, just pointing out the fact that in the current situation, with Here, you simply cannot travel. A navigation tool actually preventing you from traveling, inducing huge detours, and providing wrong info.
Of course, local providers are not members of such a high level service. So what? The actual status remains empty and that's it, but the chargers are still listed, with speed and available sockets. We start from so far away, with chargers not listed at all, except maybe for 1% of them, with a preference for very old chargers, which are also the slowest, than doing much better is easy.
Today, I need an additional tablet to find my route and my chargers, because Here does it so wrong. Is it normal?
Checking out the reviews of this app leads me to believe it is a Euro-centric version of PlugShare. Similar function/data, but no real time availability data across ALL networks.
But, once again, availability when you start your route does not guarentee availability when you get to the charge or vice versa.
I personally prefer to used the individual network's apps and plan ahead, knowing where and when I will need to charge

·
Registered
83 Posts
I personally prefer to used the individual network's apps and plan ahead, knowing where and when I will need to charge
Right! But still, Here forces you to visit a charger it knows in the middle of your trip, forgetting the main and only purpose of a navi system, which is to help you join your destination...

·
Registered
2019 I-PACE
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bump for status update in the first thread...

Response from HERE Support ticket: "Thank you for inquiring about HERE Technologies. Unfortunatley we do not supply or offer support for the 2019 I-Pace maps. Support for this service is offered by authorized Jaguar dealerships. Please consult a dealer for more details. "

1 - 17 of 17 Posts