Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Referring mostly to within the passenger compartment but also curious as to how loud it is for pedestrians as the car approaches a stop? I've seen various youtube videos but of course most of those are done in a controlled, no-traffic situation. It appears there are different sounds for backing up / decelerating? Any thoughts on all this in general? In a different EV forum some owners have referred to disabling these systems by pulling a fuse and/or cutting wires. Probably not a great idea. Not sure I'd want to be in the situation of having caused an accident (especially involving a hearing or sight impaired person) if it could be proven that the PWS was in some way tampered with.

·
Registered
62 Posts
That is interesting. I did not realize I was actually making a noise going forward at slow speeds. You definitely hear the beeping when backing up. If it is that quiet to the driver, not sure why anyone would need to disconnect.

·
Registered
125 Posts
At low speeds the car is emitting a gentle multi-tone chord from the front but the only time we can hear it is when we stand outside towards the front of that car and is moving... or if you roll down the windows in the garage while pulling forward.

·
Registered
258 Posts
A hearing impaired person isn't so likely to hear the low speed driving warning anyway. Although I have no idea how loud it is, I admit. Now I'm curious to find out, so I'll have a friend do a low speed drive by.

I've been using the method to keep the car running when I get out for a quick drop off or something (put it in neutral and activate the parking brake), and I've been slightly surprised at the (I guess) battery cooling fan running noise. Depending on how regularly that is on, I'm not nearly as silent running as I supposed. Although I also don't know how much that carries for a pedestrian to hear it (I was standing right next to the driver door preparing to re-enter).

·
Registered
62 Posts
I park in a parking deck at my office. The noise produced at low speeds must not be very loud as I always surprise people when they are not looking around. That never happened in my non-electric car.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The sound is barely noticeable inside the car - even with the radio off. Sounds a little bit like 70s sci-fi :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
A hearing impaired person isn't so likely to hear the low speed driving warning anyway. Although I have no idea how loud it is, I admit. Now I'm curious to find out, so I'll have a friend do a low speed drive by.

I've been using the method to keep the car running when I get out for a quick drop off or something (put it in neutral and activate the parking brake), and I've been slightly surprised at the (I guess) battery cooling fan running noise. Depending on how regularly that is on, I'm not nearly as silent running as I supposed. Although I also don't know how much that carries for a pedestrian to hear it (I was standing right next to the driver door preparing to re-enter).
Off topic, but THANKS for the keep the car running tip! I find the shutoff anytime I get out annoying! Start the car to get the cabin heat and windshield defrost going, then get out to clean the snow and OFF if goes!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Off topic, but THANKS for the keep the car running tip! I find the shutoff anytime I get out annoying! Start the car to get the cabin heat and windshield defrost going, then get out to clean the snow and OFF if goes!
To prevent the car from shutting off, when I exit, I leave it in (D)rive, unclip my seat belt and open the door. The Parking brake engages automatically within a second. Then I exit and do what I have to do. When reentering, disengage the Parking brake.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You do not need to disengage the parking brake. I found that once you press drive, the parking break will automatically disengage. One less button to push. Lol

·
Registered
73 Posts
To prevent the car from shutting off, when I exit, I leave it in (D)rive, unclip my seat belt and open the door. The Parking brake engages automatically within a second. Then I exit and do what I have to do. When reentering, disengage the Parking brake.

Can't you just turn on Climate control from your phone and let the car/windshield heat up?

·
Registered
537 Posts
PWS? You mean Audible Vehicle Alert System (AVAS)? You can hear it humming from the outside when the I-PACE is turned on even when it is in "Park."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts