Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
We are about to embark on a 2800 mile road trip from Western NC to Minnesota and return. It will be about 2800 miles. We will take four days to get there and five days on return (have to visit Studebaker Museum in South Bend (my first car was a Studebaker Hawk) and Cleveland for the Rock and Roll Museum and Museum of Art.

We will be using EA chargers almost exclusively so I was pleased you had good experience with them. I have used ABRP to plan the trip and entered all the way-points on the way out into the Navigation System and of course there's Google Maps if all else fails.

Any advise anyone can give would be appreciated. I'm traveling I-r0 to I-65 to I-94 on way to MN and I-94 I-90, I-75 and I-40 home.

It's exciting to be able to see 12 Walmarts in three weeks!

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,934 Posts
If EA chargers in Huber Heights and Cincinnati Ohio, and Indianapolis are in your plans, you should not have problems. There are alternatives for ChargePoint and EVgo in Cincinnati too.

If you travel down I-71 from Cleveland to Cincinnati, you can stop at a free ChargePoint 50kW DCFC one exit past (going south) where EA is south of Mansfield (OH-13 exit). It's at Bellville (OH-97 exit) with Der Dutchman restaurant a few walking steps away. I've used EA and CP at these locations without issues.

Columbus has 1 EA location and many locations for other brands. Free CP ones at Easton Town Centre (east side of Columbus) and a few other locations. However, you'll have to go a few miles away from I-71 to get to these.

·
Registered
39 Posts
On three occasions, I was unable to "initialize" on a DC charger. In fact, after several tries at different stations, my charging port was disabled, and I was not even able to charge at home on a Level 2 or Level 1 charger. I had to have my car towed to dealership on two occasions, and a new port was replaced. It took the dealership over 10 days on both occasions to repair the port.

Has anyone had this experience? Do you have any tips on using the Electrify America chargers?I am afraid to even use a commercial DC charger. Consequently long range travel has become problematic.

Please note that I did use the disconnect protocol of 3x unlock, wait 6 seconds, remove the charger within 60 seconds.
FYI, we just returned from a trip from Surfside Beach, SC to Asheville, NC. Used EA chargers in Florence, SC, Columbia, SC and Asheville, NC. Mostly no problems. On return trip one of Florence units wasn't working. Shifted to another unit and was able to charge. Also, FYI, I've given up on EVGO. They had a Level 3 charger in Mt Pleasant, SC and it never worked. They removed it. Tried their location in West Ashley (near Charleston) SC and it wasn't working. They gave ne a credit for my trouble which I'll probably never use. A side comment, at one of the chargers we met a guy with a brand new BMW i4. Not supposed to be available until March 2023. He said he called lots of dealers and talked one into selling it to him. Had to take it off the demo list. Said he loved it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is 1400 miles each way, correct? Make sure to have an alternative charger you'll be able to reach in case your preferred one is down.
It actually is 1300 miles out and 1500 miles back as we're going slightly out of our way to Cleveland. Great advice. I'll go on Plugshare and identify alternatives.

We also have configured ABRP to plan stops with 15% or more charge so that will add to the flexibility, I hope. Certainly will make my wife feel more comfortable.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If EA chargers in Huber Heights and Cincinnati Ohio, and Indianapolis are in your plans, you should not have problems. There are alternatives for ChargePoint and EVgo in Cincinnati too.

If you travel down I-71 from Cleveland to Cincinnati, you can stop at a free ChargePoint 50kW DCFC one exit past (going south) where EA is south of Mansfield (OH-13 exit). It's at Bellville (OH-97 exit) with Der Dutchman restaurant a few walking steps away. I've used EA and CP at these locations without issues.

Columbus has 1 EA location and many locations for other brands. Free CP ones at Easton Town Centre (east side of Columbus) and a few other locations. However, you'll have to go a few miles away from I-71 to get to these.
Thanks for the tips!! Yes, we'll be going from Cleveland to Columbus and Cincinnati. I've copied your suggestions into our "trip planner".

·
Administrator
3,115 Posts
We also have configured ABRP to plan stops with 15% or more charge so that will add to the flexibility, I hope. Certainly will make my wife feel more comfortable.
15% is actually pushing it, depending on how you drive and conditions like wind and elevation change. Might want to plan on one more charging stop if you consistently plan to get to the charger with less than 20%.

·
Registered
50 Posts
15% is actually pushing it, depending on how you drive and conditions like wind and elevation change. Might want to plan on one more charging stop if you consistently plan to get to the charger with less than 20%.
you don't get an award for arriving at a charger with excess SOC, in fact you will get slower charging.
the trick is to learn your car, factor in topography and climatic conditions and try to arrive at charging stops with as low of an SOC as possible.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I concur with a target like 20% SOC arrival at charger. Mostly because it is on a route you are not very familiar with from a fast charging perspective. You can get it down to 15% on more known routes, or where you know you will have many options in case a charger is out.

·
Registered
647 Posts
you don't get an award for arriving at a charger with excess SOC, in fact you will get slower charging.
the trick is to learn your car, factor in topography and climatic conditions and try to arrive at charging stops with as low of an SOC as possible.
I almost got caught driving faster than expected and likely had a head wind or some uphill and ended up a lot lower than planned a few times on a long multi-day trip. You don't get an award for ending up a few feet short either. If you are alone, you can push it, but the cost in having a skittish passenger because you are pushing it is not worth the time savings.

I had one where I pushed it bit only to find the exit to the charger closed for repair (and missed the sign in the previous exit because I was unfamiliar with the area) and ended up white knuckling in stop and go traffic until the next charger. Things can go south pretty easily.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
1,005 Posts
But you do get an award for arriving at a charger that works. 15% isn't always enough to reroute to an alternative.

·
Administrator
3,115 Posts
Has anyone used low power mode for an extended time? Would it be useful on long trips? Or is it just too limited?
Don't go there. Which you probably won't because it will yell at you with zero miles left.
Couple of miles left in fact, but creeping.
And the worst thing is, if you noodle it down that far you will kill some battery cells because the kitty's battery management is just a little not up to the task.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Don't go there. Which you probably won't because it will yell at you with zero miles left.
And the worst thing is, if you noodle it down that far you will kill some battery cells because the kitty's battery management is just a little not up to the task.
My kitty lives comfortably between 60-80% charge! That’s my usual commute and then charge overnight. Road trips are for the the Q7!

·
Registered
647 Posts
One time when I was ~40km from the charger and the range estimator went from 55 to 35 in one hop, I went to turtle mode. I also drove slower so it is hard to say how much it helped. Range climbed back to more than I needed so it may have helped but the range went from 15 to 0 all of a sudden just as I entered the parking lot of the charger. Nothing is predictable when you are that low.

·
Registered
718 Posts
One time when I was ~40km from the charger and the range estimator went from 55 to 35 in one hop, I went to turtle mode. I also drove slower so it is hard to say how much it helped. Range climbed back to more than I needed so it may have helped but the range went from 15 to 0 all of a sudden just as I entered the parking lot of the charger. Nothing is predictable when you are that low.
I’ve heard of 10 to 0. Never 15 to 0! Hopefully that was just with Low power mode.

Makes me wonder if you actually save any range!

·
Registered
647 Posts
I’ve heard of 10 to 0. Never 15 to 0! Hopefully that was just with Low power mode.

Makes me wonder if you actually save any range!
It was a couple of years ago so I do'n recall the exact number, but it was over 10. Needed leather cleaner for the seats... New fast chargers coming up on the Montreal-Boston route (St-Johnsbury and Tilton New Hampshire) will make that route a lot less stressful.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
One alternative I have not tried is that ABRP has an option to use live vehicle data as you drive. With this I would happily push to lower SOCs and rely on the faster than expected drain to reroute or give me updates.

Anyone subcribe to live data and try it yet? I haven't done a long enough road trip yet to try. I know using ABRP live conditions I always found it be conservative, I was using less than estimated and I was happy to push to lower SOCs. But then again I was constantly monitoring the waypoint estimated SOC and where I actually was.

·
Premium Member
1,934 Posts
I use the car's navigation and have the display showing the local area navigation in the big part of the center display with the remaining route to the side of it. That side display shows the SOC at the present position and the estimated SOC at destinations. On my last road trip, I would feed the cat so that the final destination of the next leg would have an estimate of not less than 30% and landed up with something less than that in reality at the destination, once as low as 18%.

·
Premium Member
1,934 Posts
I did another journey this last weekend. EA was not as good this time.

Site 1 was completely unavailable for my usual short charge to have a comfortable cushion to get to site 2. I drove in ECO mode and took a shorter and slower route to site 2. Fortunately the temps were cool enough to tolerate what ECO mode does to climate control. This site is available now per EA app. I got to site 2 with 20% instead of the usual 25 or so.

Site 2 had no issues on the outbound trip but 4 of 8 of its chargers were off-line on the return. Two men were replacing equipment in the supply cabinets for those chargers. Fortunately, they had the other 4 available. I tried one and it appeared to be taking a very long time to try to get itself going. I gave up and stopped it (unlocked cable from car). I moved to another charger. It too took a very long time to get going but did succeed. I was going to need a full charge to get to the next destination with temps in high 80s and I wasn't going to take the slow road either. I made it to that destination with 6% left.

Site 3 had no issues but I didn't use this on the return trip.

Site 4 that is actually between site 2 and 3 was a concern. I planned to charge here in mid-morning hours to reduce the time of charging at site 2 with higher temps by then. It is not a well laid out site. There are 4 chargers and the parking spaces in this Walmart lot are angled. You'd have to "drive the wrong way" down the row of spaces in order to back into them. The chargers are arranged so that if you park in one space you'll have charger 1 at the right rear. Park in the next space and you get charger 2 at left front (the one appropriate for the I-PACE). Next space gets you charger 3 at the right front. Final space gets charger 4 (with CHAdeMO) at left rear. Charger 2 had 1 plug unavailable so I used plug 2. It charged for 15 minutes then quit with a charging error. I tried again. It quit after 1 minute. The cables on all chargers are too short to reach any port not right next to them. Fortunately, nobody else was around charging vehicles and none ICEd. I had to park in charger 4 space putting the I-PACE port on the back side of charger 3. That charger worked but I could not monitor charging by looking at the display since the display was on the opposite side from the I-PACE. I've been at this location before and found ICEd spots and other cars charging so I really got lucky. I had arrived at 21% charge and that would not be enough to get to site 2.

An odd thing about the successful return charging at site 2 is that it does not show up in my EA charging history but an odd 7kWh charging does at cost of $0.00. This may be that long session perceived to not be doing anything. I should have took less of a charge at site 4 because it looks like the return site 2 charging was free and unrecorded. I don't even have an email from EA for it.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts