Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On three occasions, I was unable to "initialize" on a DC charger. In fact, after several tries at different stations, my charging port was disabled, and I was not even able to charge at home on a Level 2 or Level 1 charger. I had to have my car towed to dealership on two occasions, and a new port was replaced. It took the dealership over 10 days on both occasions to repair the port.

Has anyone had this experience? Do you have any tips on using the Electrify America chargers?I am afraid to even use a commercial DC charger. Consequently long range travel has become problematic.

Please note that I did use the disconnect protocol of 3x unlock, wait 6 seconds, remove the charger within 60 seconds.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I have had very bad luck with them, many units in failure or fail to charge. After reporting failed units nothing has been done for over a week. They will act very supportive but the actual network is not taken seriously in my opinion. I have even reported my issues to them with Porsche as they are the only provider of the free “fast charging” for the Taycan.

I have not had any failure and am not afraid to use DC chargers, I just don’t believe EA is reliable nor seems to care to be, so I can’t count on them in a trip.

·
Registered
427 Posts
On three occasions, I was unable to "initialize" on a DC charger. In fact, after several tries at different stations, my charging port was disabled, and I was not even able to charge at home on a Level 2 or Level 1 charger. I had to have my car towed to dealership on two occasions, and a new port was replaced. It took the dealership over 10 days on both occasions to repair the port.

Has anyone had this experience? Do you have any tips on using the Electrify America chargers?I am afraid to even use a commercial DC charger. Consequently long range travel has become problematic.

Please note that I did use the disconnect protocol of 3x unlock, wait 6 seconds, remove the charger within 60 seconds.
Some folks have reported problems with EA chargers, but I am skeptical that the charger was responsible for the charging port problem. We have had other forum members experience odd charging problems and had to have their charging ports replaced.

EA uses three different models for their charging network. I have had problems with one specific model consistently, but not the others. Low sample size of 6 charges, so it could be a coincidence on the model. Hopefully you can find other options besides EA in your area.

·
Registered
691 Posts

There's only 1 EA charging station in my city and I was able to charge just fine. My problem was with a particular model of EVgo. Not only did the car not charge but somehow it also fried the charge port so I understand your fear.

I contacted EVgo to report the problem and they promised to fix it although I haven't had the nerve to try again. If you and other drivers are seeing issues with EA I recommend you send them a trouble report.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I've DCDC charged at ChargePoint, EVgo, Electrify America, and EVconnect sites.
Sometimes it would hiccup during the start sequence.
IIRC, the best results would be:
Get the car ready to charge, make sure the cable reaches, door open, rubber cap off, do not plug in. Get your credit car or RFID or Cell App ready.
Turn car to ON/ACC, you do this by hitting ON without pressing the brake.
Process the payment, wait for it to complete, then immediately plug the cord in. Do not do anything with the car, which includes opening or closing doors until your dash says charging.

If it gets stuck at Initializing, try another "pump" if possible, or call the number on the machine.

Pretty sure that's the pattern, but it's been awhile.

Reactions: epirali

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Unless unit is actually faulty. With EA I have had repeatable faults with one unit, but not another, with same process. Just this Monday at a 4 50 KWHr ChargePoint set up (no one using any) two units faulted 100% of the time, third one worked first time.

Oh and another favorite: The cables are all too short, and in this last case I could not plug in unless I parked sideways and took up two spots.

I mean do these companies ACTUALLY ever use their own stations?

·
Registered
691 Posts
I installed PlugShare, EVgo and ChargePoint apps. These sites will usually give a correct posting of the charging station status. I particularly like PlugShare because drivers provide feedback on their charging experience at individual stations. The app also provided a 0-100% rating based on user feedback.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
829 Posts
The EA sites have heavy liquid cooled cables. Some have been replaced with longer cables because it has become apparent that the original cables are a little short for newer vehicles where the charging port is on the side of the vehicle. Maybe they've done testing with forthcoming VWs. Earlier EVs were designed with ports on the front, back, or closer to the corners of the vehicles. ChargePoint has also been installing longer cables at some locations.

Combine that with how the charging station is laid out. Some have parking spaces with the chargers at the narrow end of the spot. Those are the most difficult. Some have chargers along the long side of the parking space. Those are the easiest ones.

Those heavy cables, regardless of charging vendor, are difficult to fully plug into the I-pace from a charger at the nose end. It has to be fully seated to lock into place. I have had to use a bit of force to hold it into place until I hear the lock actuate. I don't think it would have held in place without the lock (even those some people say the lock is unnecessary and wish it were not there).

I had the occasion once to charge at an EA location with 4 chargers. I encountered one that got stuck authorizing the card (EA assistance could not remotely fix it), one that had a faulty card reader (it was kind enough to warn of that before trying), one that was J1772/CHAdeMO (so I left it open in case a Nissan drove up), and one that worked for me. It was necessary to park to the extreme right of the parking space (right next to the fenced in transformer) to ensure the cable could reach and connect.

Tips before using any charger:
- Check Plugshare for recent activity at the charger. It may be rare but another I-pace may have charged recently and that would be a good sign.
- Check Plugshare for comments left by anybody.
- If new to the area, or passing through, use Plugshare to contact frequent users of chargers for information about specific chargers (difficulty of use, fees, good times, bad times, etc.). People have contacted me for this type of info and I gladly give them advice.
- Check vendor's app for the same information. This may require signing up for a plan/account to get that info.

The EV infrastructure does not appear to be ready for the mobility challenged, either. The I-pace and other EVs would be hard to use if one has to use a cane, walker, or mobility chair. Most petrol/diesel stations are required by law (unless specifically stating it is an unattended location) to have attendants that provide assistance to those with handicap placards/plates. I'm not finding that at EV charging locations. Short and heavy cables will compound the problems.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts

Okay welcome aboard! I thought I was the only one in the boat that had 2 charging receptacles replaced after using EA chargers. Anyway both times the locking pin got misaligned (bent) and went into the perpetual initializing phase. I too was hesitant to use the next EA charger. The one thing I did different was to use their app, select the charger I was at, plug in , and then swipe to charge on my phone. This process has started the charger every time for the past dozen times and bypasses the screen all together which is usually difficult to read during day time. There are more Forum members that use EA more frequently than I and maybe they can explain the procedure they use. Good Luck & hopefully you will soon get your confidence back!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
DOH! Edit limit. Typo in my last post - DCFC.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Responding to TDC: My battery control module (BCM) fried at my first 50kw charge (EVGO), resulting in 0 charging afterwards and immediate trip to dealer. Haven't fast-charged much since, but all's been OK.

·
Registered
691 Posts
The EV infrastructure does not appear to be ready for the mobility challenged, either. The I-pace and other EVs would be hard to use if one has to use a cane, walker, or mobility chair. Most petrol/diesel stations are required by law (unless specifically stating it is an unattended location) to have attendants that provide assistance to those with handicap placards/plates. I'm not finding that at EV charging locations. Short and heavy cables will compound the problems.
Great observation, Ayepace! My wife is small and mobility limited and I don't think she could manage a fast charger due to weight, size and manipulating the charger out of the station and dragging it to the car. We've only fast charged 3x (once successfully) and I could see her look of concern as she tried to imagine herself hooking everything up and going through all the steps to get the charger and car to communicate.

We had a PHEV that she regularly charged so she's comfortable with level 2 charging but DC fast charging is another story.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Great observation, Ayepace! My wife is small and mobility limited and I don't think she could manage a fast charger due to weight, size and manipulating the charger out of the station and dragging it to the car. We've only fast charged 3x (once successfully) and I could see her look of concern as she tried to imagine herself hooking everything up and going through all the steps to get the charger and car to communicate.

We had a PHEV that she regularly charged so she's comfortable with level 2 charging but DC fast charging is another story.
Those thick cables are even worse to handle in winter. They become almost solid pipes rather than cables (I read the cables are liquid cooled?). I really struggled to get a 200kW to plug in at -10c.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Another EA experience...

Charged today at an upstate NY (Waterloo Outlet Mall. First charger gave a sensor error message. Charged at a second one, but never got beyond 48kW rate, but was charged at the 150kW rate. So I paid $28 for about 30% charge which is highway robbery. I spent 10 min on the phone with them and was assured they were accepting feedback (but got nothing else). Most of my trips to the US don't take me near EA chargers, but will avoid them when I have a choice.

·
Registered
2019 FE Photon Red
456 Posts
Some folks have reported problems with EA chargers, but I am skeptical that the charger was responsible for the charging port problem. We have had other forum members experience odd charging problems and had to have their charging ports replaced.
You do not mention whether you were able to initiate a L2 charge prior to these problems. Many of us have purchased the I-Pace and had to use commercial chargers for the first week or so while we installed our own L2 unit. If this is the case with your vehicle, I would agree with @Sbingham60.
I personally have used EA, Greenlots & ChargePoint units with no problems.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Another EA experience...

Charged today at an upstate NY (Waterloo Outlet Mall. First charger gave a sensor error message. Charged at a second one, but never got beyond 48kW rate, but was charged at the 150kW rate. So I paid $28 for about 30% charge which is highway robbery. I spent 10 min on the phone with them and was assured they were accepting feedback (but got nothing else). Most of my trips to the US don't take me near EA chargers, but will avoid them when I have a choice.
My one EA session:
Energy Delivered: 42.7 kWh
Max charge rate: 97.58 kW (Almost 100 kW!)
Charge time: 40.21 min.
Total Cost: $24.40

So yes expensive... It would only cost me $ 3.36 for home charging.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My first on the road charge failed at EA (3 different stations with assistance from them) , then at ChargePoint. Never got further than "Initializing". Called Jaguar assistance who said to take it to a dealer for service check. Drove home and plugged into L2 charger which worked fine before dropping car off at local dealer. They just called o say it was charging on their fast charger (21KW) just fine. Am mystified and frustrated because we had to cancel the rest of the trip. At least had enough juice to get back home

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm in British Columbia and have used several 50kw DCFC stations and two PetroCanada 350kw stations, without much trouble. Occasional 'error' at hookup, but just trying a second time works.
The thought of the charge port on the car failing during an out-of-town trip is frightening. Expect to drive South through Washington and Oregon, so will be using EV America and EVGo --- don't want to get stranded out of country!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts