Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a 2019 I-Pace First Edition with 20" wheels. MSRP is $89K+ They have a discounted internet price of $69K+, since it is a 2019 and to account for depreciation. How much lower do you think the price should come down?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Used ones with low miles are are trading in the low $50k range

IMO leasing is the only way to hedge the massive depreciation of this car. I would also strongly suggest staying away from early build cars and ones that have been sitting on dealer lots for a long time

Reactions: sciencegeek

·
Registered
424 Posts
Ugh.... Love that I paid 92k for my First Edition with 22" wheels...

·
Super Moderator
1,159 Posts
IMO leasing is the only way to hedge the massive depreciation of this car.
What happens to your federal tax credit when you lease the car? Can you still claim it?
The Federal Tax credit is for the first registered owner of the vehicle. So the leasing company gets the rebate. However, you would be silly not to get that $7500 ‘discount’ baked into the final lease price.

·
Super Moderator
1,159 Posts
I would also strongly suggest staying away from early build cars and ones that have been sitting on dealer lots for a long time
There is nothing to indicate build date makes any difference on the cars. They all have the same warranty. I wouldn’t give build date a second thought.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The Federal Tax credit is for the first registered owner of the vehicle. So the leasing company gets the rebate. However, you would be silly not to get that $7500 ‘discount’ baked into the final lease price.
This exactly - I leased and made sure that the $7500 went down as a cap cost reduction on top of the discount I negotiated. I would argue that leasing is the better way to get the tax credit anyway: not only do you not have to mess around with the paperwork, you are assured of getting the full $7500; you only get the whole credit as a purchaser if your tax due is greater than the credit amount (admittedly it would be rare that you're buying an I-pace but owe less than $7500 in federal taxes)

·
Registered
893 Posts
There is nothing to indicate build date makes any difference on the cars. They all have the same warrant. I wouldn’t give build date a second thought.

This would be an interesting poll. Out of the buy backs posted here, what percentage were early builds?

·
Super Moderator
1,159 Posts
This would be an interesting poll. Out of the buy backs posted here, what percentage were early builds?
That poll was already conducted and can be found with a forum search.

Of course the first step in gathering the information again would be to decide what constitutes an ‘early build’.

·
Registered
893 Posts
That poll was already conducted and can be found with a forum search.

Of course the first step in gathering the information again would be to decide what constitutes an ‘early build’.

For myself I consider 2018 builds as early. I was reading a conversion with a Jaguar insider saying how the I-Pace was rushed to market for regulatory compliance and they had a lot of hiccups. For me thats a red flag

·
Registered
893 Posts
This exactly - I leased and made sure that the $7500 went down as a cap cost reduction on top of the discount I negotiated. I would argue that leasing is the better way to get the tax credit anyway: not only do you not have to mess around with the paperwork, you are assured of getting the full $7500; you only get the whole credit as a purchaser if your tax due is greater than the credit amount (admittedly it would be rare that you're buying an I-pace but owe less than $7500 in federal taxes)

This is why it made sense for me and in CA, you only pay sales tax on the amount financed.

My residual is 43% on the car. If its worth more than that in 3 years, then I can sell it for more or buy it out. if its less than that (which I suspect it will be), I can just return the car to the JLR. Liability has shifted them

IMO Cars have become cell phones with very limited life cycles. I LOVE the I-Pace, its the best EV on the market, but I wouldn't keep my IPhone 5 forever

There are very few cars I would rather have than an I-Pace and those are all over the mid 6 figures, but I went into this with realistic exceptions set.
Its not perfect, but no EV is and the flaws it has are made up by the qualities. I also know there is a high probability of it being a lemon and it will have technical glitches . Im ready for that

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Used ones with low miles are are trading in the low $50k range
I'm sorry. I should've been more specific. It's a new 2019 I-pace. So I would still get the $7500 tax deduction down the road. Does that change anything?

·
Registered
893 Posts
I'm sorry. I should've been more specific. It's a new 2019 I-pace. So I would still get the $7500 tax deduction down the road. Does that change anything?

$61,500 after rebates is a good price. Are there other incentives or state rebates? Is there the $3k rebate from JLR?

Can you tell us more about the car? Is it a demo? What state?

·
Super Moderator
2,267 Posts
Have them show you a service department printout where they assessed the battery state of health and capacity. A new vehicle should have at least 95% state of health and a usable capacity of 84kWh.

(Before anyone points out that SoH as reported by the API/WattCat is usually incorrect: I agree). The SoH measurement must come from the dealer via the car's OBD port, which is a correct measurement as far as I can tell. Do not let them try to fool you by pointing at the GoM (the estimated range in the dashboard), which is BS and which does not reveal whether the battery is good or bad.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
$61,500 after rebates is a good price. Are there other incentives or state rebates? Is there the $3k rebate from JLR?

There are no rebates from Jaguar at present because the current promotions are for 2020's only. No state rebates. What is the $3K rebate? I don't see it on the JLR site.

·
Registered
893 Posts

There are no rebates from Jaguar at present because the current promotions are for 2020's only. No state rebates. What is the $3K rebate? I don't see it on the JLR site.
JLR had a Cyber Monday rebate for $3k that lasted into January. Seems thats gone

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Back from a trip to the dealer. They wouldn't move much off of the $69K price.. Maybe a few hundred dollars.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dealer called me back and offered a price of $67,800. If they can prove the battery is good, should I bite? I'm gonna need winter tires next year, do you think if I asked for additional 20" wheels (at dealer cost) that's asking too much? I don't want too be unreasonable, but it's hard figuring out the value of a new, but 1 year old car, when there's nothing to compare it with.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts