Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 I-Pace HSE - Borasco Grey
203 Posts
Here's the link to the JLR range estimator: Electric Car Range Calculator - Jaguar Electric Cars
Thank you for that! That is a real eye-opener.

I found it particularly interesting that with the outside temperature at 30C/86F the car got its best range as long as the AC was turned off... revealing something about optimal operating temperatures for the drive and battery systems I guess. The impact of wheel sizes I know we've discussed but its interesting to see it called out specifically here.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
813 Posts
Seat cooling and cabin cooling are completely separate.

Undoubtedly, you've seen cooler chests that can be plugged in and cool/heat their interiors. The seats work similarly for cooling. On the bottom side of the seat is the cooler unit that has a fan blowing air through a heat sink to cool it and then through the seat.

·
Registered
105 Posts

Undoubtedly, you've seen cooler chests that can be plugged in and cool/heat their interiors. The seats work similarly for cooling. On the bottom side of the seat is the cooler unit that has a fan blowing air through a heat sink to cool it and then through the seat.
If this were true then the cabin would warm up from the rejected heat. This would negate having cooler seats and would require the HVAC system to remove this heat. What I have traced is a hard vent duct from the dash and wires to the seat for the fan.

·
Premium Member
813 Posts
If this were true then the cabin would warm up from the rejected heat. This would negate having cooler seats and would require the HVAC system to remove this heat. What I have traced is a hard vent duct from the dash and wires to the seat for the fan.
You will not find a hard duct to a movable seat. The attached photo shows the location of the air filter intake for the cooling unit on the underside of the seat (left seat - driver's seat on LHD vehicles).
Yes, it means relocating heat from this air to the rest of the air in the cabin. The purpose of the device is to provided cooled air through the seat to the occupant's seat and back body parts. It does that function.
I-pace under seat cooling filter.png

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ayepace said:

Trielectric said:
After doing some research today, I found that the hard duct under the seat is only in operation during the recirc mode of the HVAC. I guess it is a minimum flow path for the air to recirc. There is also a small side duct that comes from the center console and blows a small amount of air under the seat. I ran the cooled seat without the main HVAC running. The seat and seat back did get cool. I then turned on the HVAC wide open with the temperature set to 58 degrees cabin temperature, but left the AC compressor off. The outside temperature was 99 degrees. After a few minutes I noted the seat back was warming up but the seat bottom still stayed somewhat cool. I am guessing just the air flow around the seat was taking the cooling away from the seat. I concur that the seat coolers appear to be a total contained unit and do not use the cabin HVAC to cool the seats with the exception that the seat cooling medium does need someplace to dump it's heat and it appears that is the cabin. Where did you get the info that the seat coolers may be an electrical Peltier panel? If it's not that then it has it's own Freon system which I doubt. This means that the electrical load of the seats could be correct, although Peltier panels are not noted for their efficiency. I was going to put one under my motorcycle seat years ago, until I found out how high the current draw was.

·
Premium Member
813 Posts
A "freon" system would be too complex and bulky to fit into seats in all the vehicles that have cooled seats.

Jaguar part numbers are T4A7202 for the seat bottom and T2R23675 for the seat back since they can be individually controlled.

·
Registered
2019 Jaguar I-Pace
33 Posts
This would be very useful to know since using seat cooling while reduce A/C use can maximize range!

·
Premium Member
813 Posts
I drive mine with driver's seat cooling on (both seat and back) without the cabin AC on unless conditions and driving distance dictate otherwise for comfort.

The GOM range is about 10 miles higher without the AC. Your GOM distance may vary. ;)

·
Registered
770 Posts
I drive mine with driver's seat cooling on (both seat and back) without the cabin AC on unless conditions and driving distance dictate otherwise for comfort.

The GOM range is about 10 miles higher without the AC. Your GOM distance may vary. ;)
Yeah, that wouldn't work too well in the heat wave we're having in NY. :(

21 - 29 of 29 Posts