Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a few questions based on what I've read so far. So much information I'm hoping a few of you save me some research time lol

I've found a couple used with 5k miles or so for a big price dip. It appears the vehicle drops in value quick. Which is fine bc I rarely buy brand new. My question is.... how many of those are lemons vs the owner being impatient waiting for software updates? I'd ask for a carfax but curious for any other tips.

The vehicle does have Android auto.... right?

I assume I'll need to buy a home charging station separately. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
2,617 Posts
Hi and welcome. I'd say there are used cars out there because some people couldn't get their heads around having an EV, and perhaps also because they were frustrated with early versions of the infotainment system (as you note). There are also some that had serious issues, so you definitely want a battery report on the 36 battery modules' state of health (JLR dealers can do this) and yes, carfax. (When my first Kitty, which JLR bought back, was on sale used it correctly noted that there was an issue with it.)

Yes AA is available, but not wireless AFAIK.

Chargepoint home chargers are recommended by JLR; I'm happy with mine. Others work well to, like juicebox. You do need a 240V/32Amp outlet (that probably needs to be on a 50 amp circuit).

Best of luck! Run some details of the contenders by us.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,249 Posts
Yes Android Auto and Apple CarPlay are included as a standard part of the Infotainment system.

There are numerous charger brands available. ChargePoint, Juicebox, Clipper Creek, and many more. Search at Amazon (or any other such site) for EV charger and you'll get a lot of choices.
Chargers with WIFI interfaces give you more info and control than those that don't. The apps vary by information they return. I found EnelX Juicebox app gives more info than the Chargepoint app.

If you have nearby DCFC chargers at businesses you may want apps that support them. If you plan to travel away from home you'll want the ABRP (A Better Route Planner) and Plugshare apps as well as branded apps for ChargePoint. Electrify America, EVgo, Blink, or whatever is along the routes you'll be taking.

You'll want to make sure the car is up-to-date on all software. The Infotainment software should be at the "20C" level. The TCU software at 18.2 or 19.2 level. The battery energy control module should up to a level that starts with "BP". Have the dealer show you where the software update display is and the values will be on that display.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
The odds of a lemon are slim. Most lemon returns have to do with some minor thing that hadn't been yet fixed in software, or with crappy dealers. It's not like, say, the BMW turbo issues of early 2000s, where they replaced faulty parts with faulty parts. We have almost 20k miles in 2 years and love the car. Best vehicle I've ever owned.

Android Auto works as well (or as badly) as any Android Auto does.

Any L2 charger will probably meet your needs. The cheapest 30amp model you can get will be more than adequate. You can pay more for fancy features like wifi control and such, if you want that. A 16amp charger will probably be adequate too, but why go small when you can go bigger?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone.

I'm leaning hard towards a used 2020 mid next year. Buddy of mine is an electrician and just wired everything up for a neighbor. He quoted me at $250 and then the chargers look to be around 500 to 600.

It's really the only EV I'm interested in that would get me to switch from my M4.

·
Premium Member
19 I-pace HSE Polaris/Fuji white with most options and a lot of accessories
1,249 Posts
One thing to check on the charger is the orientation of the plug if you get a plug-in version.

My pre-2020 version of Juicebox 40 Pro with 14-50P has the ground lug oriented to require the ground in the 14-50R at the top.
I also have access to a ChargePoint Home Flex charger. It's 14-50P has the ground lug 180 degrees opposite.

The Juicebox is capable of being portable or hang from a bracket. The ChargePoint Home Flex is intended to be attached to a wall with lag screws only.

So check out the features of whatever charger you choose and the installation instructions to ensure the electrician puts the socket in the correct place and oriented as needed.

Side note for others:
The ChargePoint Home Flex has a removeable cord. It can be hardwired if desired. In my case, I made a replacement cord with plug oriented the same as the Juicebox so either one could be used at the same socket or I can use the original cord at a different socket.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts